Things I believe to be true

AKNe

Religion

A thorny subject if ever there was one but for me religion was originally intended to keep the masses in line and give them a set of morals, laws and rules to live by. The problem is that as history is written by the victors the origins and original messages have been corrupted vastly over time.

If rulers/heads of state weren't keen on specific rules or aspects of their religion, they would create splinter groups adding in and/or removing the bits that didn't fit with the original guidelines.

As Man has become more aware and curious they have turned away from religion and church and its belief system. After all their are now so many groups that it is almost impossible to know if their is any truth behind any religion and it leads me to the one inevitable question.

Is it more likely that Man created God or God created Man ?

For me, it is the former, at least that seems to be the most probable. The stories the bible tells have more holes than a block of Emmenthal cheese, complete gospels have been removed as they did not 'fit' with the beliefs of the day and who knows exactly how much has simply been lost or confused in translation.

It seems to me, that religion as we know it is an outdated concept, if a Messiah was to return in this day and age, he or she would most likely be institutionalised or passed off as a magician.

In saying all that, I do believe in the original concept of creating a set of guidelines to try to live by. I just think that in order to get mankind to follow these initial rules they needed to have something to fear in order to adhere to the 'rules' and so, the fear of God and God's wrath on the sinners were put in place.

AKNe

Must admit, I thought there would have been more interest/discussion inthe last couple of topics but I'll put it down to Christmas and people getting involved in family time.

The Universe

For me I find it hard to comprehend the sheer scale of it all and just how insignificant and tiny we really are. I don't subscribe to the big bang theory as their just seems to me to be too much that we don't understand, it just doesn't see to fit.

I also think we find it difficult to comprehend that it is ever expanding - in which case are planets getting larger every day. What is at the edge, what is on the 'outside', is their a finite space to grow into and what happens if that is exhausted. What caused it to start and from what as seemingly out of nothing came something.

Is the Universe an illusion, a deception are we just data in a computer mainframe - even then there are more questions than answers. I alsoread the other day that their is no 'centre of the Universe' to me that makes no sense and I think it may turn out that everywhere is the centre of the Universe.