Time Travel in Quran

Alper Karaoguz

We always think that Islam is a trumped up religion of messy, primitive, rude and brutal Arabs. We also consider Mohammad is a false prophet and Quran was written by him. Therefore in any occasion we looked up The Old Testament, The New Testament, Hindu and Buddhist writings and so on, but we never open the cover of Quran.

o6D8v9.jpg

We all watched programs in Discovery Channel about physics, astronomy, black holes, worm holes, time travel, etc. They sometimes make connections with old inscriptions, religions, books, but never mentioned Islam.

Now, if I say there are three stories in Quran regarding time travel, relevant with science and they are in one chapter among 114 chapters in Quran. What would you think? Can you read without prejudices or you call it absurdity and ignore all?

Assuming that you are a smart person without prejudices, let me explain the time travel verses from the Quran…

The chapter is called “The Cave”… It’s the 18th chapter in Quran. The first story is about “Fellows of The Cave” that they travel to the future by a black hole. The second story is about Moses and Khidr, which Khidr travels back and forth in time. And the last story is about Zulqarnain (The Man With Two Eras) that travels back in time…

In Christian tradition “Fellows of The Cave” called as “Seven Sleepers”. The story says that during the persecutions by the Roman emperor Decius, around 250 AD, seven young men were accused of following Christianity. They were given some time to recant their faith, but chose instead to give their worldly goods to the poor and retire to a mountain cave to pray, where they fell asleep. The emperor, seeing that their attitude towards paganism had not improved, ordered the mouth of the cave to be sealed.

lbarlr.jpg

Illuminated manuscript of Seven Sleepers from Menologion of Basil II.

Decius died in 251, and many years passed during which Christianity went from being persecuted to being the state religion of the Roman Empire. At some later time—usually given as during the reign of Theodosius II (408–450) the landowner decided to open up the sealed mouth of the cave, thinking to use it as a cattle pen. He opened it and found the sleepers inside. They awoke, imagining that they had slept but one day, and sent one of their number to Ephesus to buy food, with instructions to be careful lest the pagans recognize and seize him. Upon arriving in the city, this person was astounded to find buildings with crosses attached; the townspeople for their part were astounded to find a man trying to spend old coins from the reign of Decius. The bishop was summoned to interview the sleepers; they told him their miracle story, and died praising God.

Let’s look up Quran for seven sleepers…

The First Story “Fellows of The Cave – Traveling to The Future by a Black Hole”

V3qXdv.jpg

18:9. Do you think that the Fellows of the Cave and the Inscription were one of our strange signs?

- In this verse, god stresses that those described herein are not strange!

18:10. When the youths sought refuge in the cave, they said: Our Lord! grant us mercy from Thee, and provide for us a right course in our affair.

18:11. So we prevented them from hearing in the cave for a number of years.

- What happened to them in cave for a number of years?

18:12. Then we raised them up that we might know which of the two parties was best able to compute the time for which they remained.

nJ8mnM.jpg

- In This verse, “which of the two parties was best able to compute the time for which they remained” sentence is an indication for “The Twin Paradox” in physics. In physics, the twin paradox is a thought experiment in special relativity involving identical twins, one of whom makes a journey into space in a high-speed rocket and returns home to find that the twin who remained on Earth has aged more. This result appears puzzling because each twin sees the other twin as moving, and so, according to an incorrect and naive application of time dilation and the principle of relativity, each should paradoxically find the other to have aged less.

18:18. And you might think them awake while they were asleep and we turned them about to the right and to the left, while their dog lay outstretching its paws at the entrance; if you looked at them you would certainly get away from them, and you would certainly be filled with fear because of them.

vJ1894.jpg

- The given name “cave” in this chapter is a black hole. When you are in the event horizon of a black hole Einstein tells us the time elapsed is more slowly in the presence of a strong gravity field. Therefore an observer outside the event horizon might think that they are awake but due to slowdown of time they look like frozen or asleep. This situation was mentioned as “you might think them awake while they were asleep” in the verse. And similar to that situation if you are an observer form the event horizon, you can see outside as a fast forwarded movie, like in the “if you looked at them you would certainly get away from them” verse.

1GQD5N.jpg

18:19. And thus did we rouse them that they might question each other. A speaker among them said: How long have you stayed? They said: We have stayed for a day or a part of a day. Said: Your Lord knows best how long you have stayed. Now send one of you with this silver coin of yours to the city, then let him see which of them has purest food, so let him bring you provision from it, and let him behave with gentleness, and by no means make your case known to anyone.

- One of the time traveller is asking: “How long have you stayed? They said: We have stayed for a day or a part of a day”. Like Einstein’s Theory of Relativity, we can understand that time travellers feel that it was only took them for several hours to travel in time and we can learn the exact time that they travelled in the 25th verse.

18:25. And they remained in their cave three hundred years and add nine.

- They travelled 309 years to the future! Also in this verse god gives two calendars, 300 solar years is equivalent to the 309 lunar years.

Moses and Khidr – Travel Back and Forth in Time

LOVgrZ.jpg

18:60. And when Moses said to young boy: I will not cease until I reach the junction of the two seas or I will go on for years and years.

- We are dealing with the same chapter “The Cave” and strange things (that God says us not to think as strange) happening again. Moses says “for years and years”.

18:61. So when they had reached the junction of the two seas, they forgot their fish, and it took its way into the sea, going away.

- Is the junction of the two seas, meaning also the separation of two seas by Moses? Maybe! They were forgetting their meal, fish but how can a dead fish can took its way into the sea? Are they went back in time so the fish came to life? Story goes on…

18:62. But when they had gone farther, he said to young boy: Bring to us our morning meal, certainly we have met with fatigue from this our journey.

18:63. (Young boy) said: Did you see when we took refuge on the rock then I forgot the fish, and nothing made me forget to speak of it but the Satan, and it took its way into the sea; what a wonder!

18:64. (Moses) Said: This is what we sought for; so they returned retracing their footsteps.

- Moses was waiting for something strange!

18:65. Then they found one from among our servants (Khidr) whom we had granted mercy from us and whom we had taught science from ourselves.

- They found a servant of god with a scientific knowledge.

18:66. Musa said to him: Shall I follow you on condition that you should teach me right knowledge of what you have been taught?

18:67. (Khidr) Said: Surely you cannot have patience with me.

18:68. And how can you have patience in that of which you have not got a comprehensive knowledge?

- Khidr has got a comprehensive knowledge but Moses have not.

18:69. (Moses) Said: If Allah pleases, you will find me patient and I shall not disobey you in any matter.

18:70. (Khidr) Said: If you would follow me, then do not question me about anything until I myself speak to you about it.

- They agreed on: Moses shall be patient, and he will not question about anything that he did not have got a comprehensive knowledge.

18:71. So they went until when they embarked in the boat he made a hole in it. (Moses) said: Have you made a hole in it to drown its inmates? Certainly you have done a grievous thing.

- Khidr made the ship defective.

18:72. (Khidr) Said: Did I not say that you will not be able to have patience with me?

- The first warning from Khidr!

18:73. (Moses) Said: Blame me not for what I forgot, and do not constrain me to a difficult thing in my affair.

- Moses apologized...

18:74. So they went on until, when they met a boy, he killed him. (Moses) said: Have you killed an innocent person otherwise than for manslaughter? Certainly you have done an evil thing.

- Khidr killed a boy!

18:75. (Khidr) Said: Did I not say to you that you will not be able to have patience with me?

- Second warning from Khidir!

18:76. (Moses) Said: If I ask you about anything after this, keep me not in your company; indeed you shall have found an excuse in my case.

- Moses apologized second time…

18:77. So they went on until when they came to the people of a town, they asked them for food, but they refused to entertain them as guests. Then they found in it a wall which was on the point of falling, so he put it into a right state. (Moses) said: If you had pleased, you might certainly have taken a recompense for it.

- Khidr restored the wall!

18:78. (Khidr) Said: This shall be separation between me and you; now I will inform you of the significance of that with which you could not have patience.

- It’s the third time and Khidr is angry now. He explains all three cases…

18:79. As for the boat, it belonged to poor men who worked on the sea and I wished that I should damage it, and there was behind them a king who seized every boat by force.

18:80. And as for the boy, his parents were believers and we feared lest he should make disobedience and ingratitude to come upon them.

18:81. So we desired that their Lord might give them in his place one better than him in purity and nearer to having compassion.

18:82. And as for the wall, it belonged to two orphan boys in the city, and there was beneath it a treasure belonging to them, and their father was a righteous man; so your Lord desired that they should attain their maturity and take out their treasure, a mercy from your Lord, and I did not do it of my own accord. This is the significance of that with which you could not have patience.

- You can see Khidr can travel in time back and forth, so he knows the future and he changes the past. Khidr does not talk through one's hat, he says that “I did not do it of my own accord”, meaning he only does god’s wishes.

Zulqarnain (He of the Two Eras) – Travel Back in Time by a Worm Hole

18:83. And they ask you about Zulqarnain. Say: I will tell to you an account of him.

rJl8r3.jpg

- Zulqarnain name can be translated like “two-horned”. “Qarn” and “horn” have the same roots in etymology. But “Qarn” has a synonym of “era, period, century”. Now we can name him as “The man with two eras”…

Each translation is astonishing. “The man with two eras” means he lives in future and past. And we can understand below verses, he is a man that has a knowledge to do technological things.

The other translation “two-horned” is connected with Einstein-Rosen bridge, so called “Wormhole”. Wormholes are the best explanation to travel back in time. The theory of general relativity predicts that if traversable wormholes exist, they can also alter the speed of time. They could allow time travel. This would be accomplished by accelerating one end of the wormhole to a high velocity relative to the other, and then sometime later bringing it back; relativistic time dilation would result in the accelerated wormhole mouth aging less than the stationary one as seen by an external observer, similar to what is seen in the twin paradox. However, time connects differently through the wormhole than outside it, so that synchronized clocks at each mouth will remain synchronized to someone traveling through the wormhole itself, no matter how the mouths move around. This means that anything which entered the accelerated wormhole mouth would exit the stationary one at a point in time prior to its entry.

Okay, but what is the two-horned and wormhole connection? You can clearly see the two-horns of a wormhole from illustrations.

7y0XzN.jpg
POL69O.jpg

18:84. Surely we established him in the land and granted him means of access to everything.

- In Arabic language we can also translate “granted means of access to everything” as “tool” or vehicle”…

18:85. So he followed a course.

18:86. Until when he reached the place where the sun set, he found it going down into a black sea, and found by it a people. We said: O Zulqarnain! either give them a chastisement or do them a benefit.

18:87. He said: As to him who is injust, we will chastise him, then shall he be returned to his Lord, and He will chastise him with an exemplary chastisement: And as for him who believes and does good, he shall have goodly reward, and We will speak to him an easy word of our command.

18:88. Then he followed a course.

18:90. Until when he reached the land of the rising of the sun, he found it rising on a people to whom we had given no shelter from It;

18:91. Even so! and We had a full knowledge of what he had.

18:92. Then he followed a course.

18:93. Until when he reached a place between the two mountains, he found on that side of them a people who could hardly understand a word.

- Something strange is happening again!

18:94. They said: O Zulqarnain! surely Gog and Magog make mischief in the land. Shall we then pay you a tribute on condition that you should raise a barrier between us and them?

pGZ8yn.jpg

Gog and Magog Illustration

18:95. He said: That in which my Lord has established me is better, therefore you only help me with workers, I will make a fortified barrier between you and them;

18:96. Bring me blocks of iron; until when he had filled up the space between the two mountain sides, he said: Blow, until when he had made it fire, he said: Bring me molten brass which I may pour over it.

- The man who travelled back in time is now making a technological thing to block Gog and Magog (original names in the Quran is Yajuj and Majuj; Gog and Magog names are from The Old Testament). “He of the two eras” wants blocks of iron and poured molten brass to do something.

18:97. So they were not able to scale it nor could they make a hole in it.

- He made a star-gate to throw Gog and Magog into the future. We can understand in Quran Chapter 21:96…

21:96. Even when Gog and Magog are let loose and they shall break forth from every elevated place.

- We can understand form this verse that Gog and Magog will appear just before Doomsday. Also in The Old Testament, The Gog prophecy is meant to be fulfilled at the approach of what is called the "end of days". Jewish eschatology viewed Gog and Magog as enemies to be defeated by the Messiah, which will usher in the age of the Messiah. Christianity's interpretation is more starkly apocalyptic: making Gog and Magog allies of Satan against God at the end of the millennium, as can be read in the Book of Revelation.

JimmyD

That IS interesting, especially because it corresponds to things in The Bible, both old and new testaments.

...same pattern, method, numbers, etc...

Wow