Time Travel Institute Is Open

Kairos

Collapse the Earth into a black hole and it will still have the same mass as the Earth does now.
Try carrying that around in a Chevy.

A black hole the size of an electron has a hundred times the mass of the Great Pyramid of Giza.

Nice suspension on that Chevy.

Harte

It's created from sub-atomic particles in his story. It would have almost no meaningful mass. A black hole is curvature of space, which has to do as much with density of the matter causing it as the amount. Theoretically, the mass of a pencil can be reduced down to an area small enough that it curves space into a black hole. It's still the mass of a pencil, though. Not sure how you are supposed to contain something like that or keep it intact for long, or even how that really aids in time travel.. just saying.. the black hole part is the least problematic aspect of his story.

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
Hey! You guys left out fairy dust and Leprechaun magic. How else would anything in theoretical physics come true?

Kairos

Nah, man. For space fantasy, you have to replace wizards with "scientists" and teleport spells for teleporter technology. Then call that "science fiction", even though it's fantasy.

Harte

It's created from sub-atomic particles in his story. It would have almost no meaningful mass. A black hole is curvature of space, which has to do as much with density of the matter causing it as the amount. Theoretically, the mass of a pencil can be reduced down to an area small enough that it curves space into a black hole. It's still the mass of a pencil, though. Not sure how you are supposed to contain something like that or keep it intact for long, or even how that really aids in time travel.. just saying.. the black hole part is the least problematic aspect of his story.
According to Titor's own words, the singularities were "about the size of an electron."

Electrons are point particles - they have no "size."
So either he's full of nonsense, or he meant what's known as the "classical size" (radius) of an electron, which is a measure of how close you can squeeze two electrons together - 2.817 940 3227 x 10^-15 m

But even singularities the size of subatomic particles - and the electron is one of those kind of particles - are FAR too massive to tote around in a suitcase. It's easy enough for you to calculate this yourself.

r is the Schwarzschild radius in meters, G is the gravitational constant (6.674×10^−11), M is the mass in kilograms, c is the speed of light (m/s).
When solving for M, the process of multiplying by the square of the speed of light, along with dividing by the exceedingly tiny gravitational constant, rapidily increases the amount of the mass we're talking about here.

Harte

Harte

IIRC, I calculated the mass of a singularity with radius equal to the Planck length - the smallest length anything can be - and it came out to be a few ounces.
So, not enough mass in any subatomic particle to create a singularity.

Again, I gave you the formula. You can calculate it yourself. No need for "maybes."

Harte

Kairos

I think it is supposed to be a Planck mass as the bottom threshold. I am a computer science guy, and physics was a long time ago. So don't quote me on that.

Harte

Not at all. You can't achieve a singularity at anything like a Planck mass because the result is FAR smaller than the Planck length.

I'm afraid there's no way around it. Titor was bullshitting.

Harte

Harte

Nope. Calculate the radius for one Planck mass. It's far below one Planck length.
I gave you the formula.

Harte