Time travel, Multiverse, Relativity & Apollo

fanavans

Time travel, Multiverse, Relativity & Apollo

A body that goes really fast travels forward in time according to general relativity?

If somebody travels though time to the future, then they end up in a different time line?(1) Or is it only if they go to the past and change somthing?

If 1 is true, then are the apollo astraunouts from out universe or another? How about when I step off a plane, am in another universe? Did Buzz Aldran meet himself when he came back to earth? Does he know what you are about to say because he is two minutes ahead of you?

m6scott

Re: Time travel, Multiverse, Relativity & Apollo

Interesting . If you travel to the future ther should be a new time line because the traveler leaving makes another timeline .The timeline was to have the traveler in it but when he leaves creates another timeline. On the other hand maybe the time line was to be this way anyway?

Omega

No your wrong, wrong wrong, perspective is what your talking about not time line.

m6scott

OK so if this is perspective then this must be true for time travel in the past ? If you go back no one around you will realize any thing different . The Time traveler is the only one to see differences. In this light how are we to prove any time travel ? US as the bystander we will see any time traveler as part of our time line ,the same for a time traveler to the future.

fanavans

I guess I'm wondering if Einstien's time travel is actually wrong. That is, one is not travelling through time, they are only experiencing it differently. If that is the case, then we have to look outside relativity in order to find time travel.(?)

Omega

Each person experiences time slightly different.

Harte

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"fanavans\")</div>
I guess I'm wondering if Einstien's time travel is actually wrong. That is, one is not travelling through time, they are only experiencing it differently. If that is the case, then we have to look outside relativity in order to find time travel.(?)[/b]
Fanavans,
Time travel into the future is bound to be the equivalent of "experiencing it (time) differently." We are already going in that direction without using any time travel apparatus or theories. Since we are already moving into the future, the use of time dilation (or any other time travel mechanism) to travel into the future is equivalent to merely changing the rate at which one moves into the future. This would be "experience(ing) it differently."

I think what's throwing you off here is the rather small point that time travel into the future violates no causal principles. Because of this, there is no reason to postulate the generation of a separate time line.
If you are referring only to Special Relativity, then I assure you that time dilation is absolutely real. It is an established fact, not a theory. It has nothing to do with subjective experience, it has been observed occuring to inanimate objects (clocks, particles, etc.) Special Relativity itself is a theory, in the scientific sense, because a new theory could be developed that explains the observed fact of time dilation (and the other relativistic effects associated with relative velocities) and presumably more things that Special Relativity (or General Relativity) does not explain.

Time travel into the past, originally derived (at least scientifically) from the application of special circumstances to the General Theory of Relativity, does violate causality. The alternate timeline idea is a tool invented to explain away the paradoxes inherent in traveling into the past. There is no indication in physics that alternate timelines could exist, other than an obscure, little-accepted idea called the "Many Universes" theory of quantum mechanics. The alternate universes in this theory, however, have nothing to do with time travel and are not "formed" by something moving into the past.

I should state here that the original idea of using the extreme gravitation present near the event horizon of a rotating black hole to warp time into a loop (the Einstein-Rosen Bridge) took a huge hit a few years back. The original idea was based on a geometry of the singularity that turned out to be wrong. So a black hole cannot be used for this purpose. That does not preclude travel into the past, it only invalidates the only theoretical method of accomplishing it at this time.

Harte

m6scott

Re: Time travel, Multiverse, Relativity &amp; Apollo

I would like the "many universes" theory explained further if possible . I am to understand ther are possibly many universes going on right now but not created thru any timeline interaction? If this is so than each one should have started at the same time. If this is so then we are on the same time space zone. If this is so than our universe we will never meet any other universe. Unless someone created an alternative timeline in thier universe purhaps forming another universe .This would mean the "many universe" theory would be faultered? Right?

fanavans

OK, I don't get it - Perhaps someone can finish this story?

A leaves B specific instructions - go into the next room wait in one minute write a note, come back in and hand it to me.

A then jumps into his almost speed of light ship and flies around, returning to the exact location he left 59 seconds (at least that is what his wrist watch shows) later....

What happens next? Is B confused at A's absence? Is A absent?

Omega

I wonder if someone accelerated oneself on a molecular or subatomic level within a self-generated field could one move theirselves forward in time? Any Ideas?