Time Travel: Recent experiments in quantum erasing

Whitestar

Time Travel: Recent experiments in quantum erasing

In science fiction movies and books, there has been three types of time travel: paradoxical, parallel and repetitive. The first type of time travel is known as being paradoxical, where the time traveler goes back into the past to prevent his or her parents from meeting. If the time traveler succeeds, he or she will disappear and never have existed. But if the time traveler never existed, then how could he or she have been able to go back in time in the first place? Clearly, a paradox has taken place.

The second type of time travel is known as the many-worlds or many-universes interpretation. If a time traveler goes back into the past to prevent their own existence from occuring, time will automatically fork into another timeline or form a parallel universe where in the second timeline, the time traveler would never have been born because it hasn't happen yet. Therefore, the time traveler's life is in no danger of erasing his or her existence, afterall, he or she had to come from somewhere!

Finally, the last type of time travel is known as repetitive. That is, if a time traveler goes into the past, he or she can never change it because the laws of time will prevent them from doing so, therefore, they can only FULLFILL the past.

However, recently quantum mechanics has actually shown through the quantum eraser experiments that we can rewrite the histories of photons, and that time is symmetrical, that is, it's paradoxical. The best example of this is the translational interaction or pilot wave theory, where a particle future and particle past selves our in constant communication via FTL forms of electromagnetic wave. Any alteration to a particle whether in the past or the future would instanteously alter the present of that particle. This is supported by the most theories of quantum gravity.

The formulas of such theories predict that the past, present, and future are only connected by series of relationship. Relativity limited the range of the interactions that we sense, but there is nothing to prevent events from being altered. Paradoxes at least in Godel case pointed to correctness of his theorem that all systems of logic is incomplete, the same goes with time travel. A paradox only exist if one cannot follow the chain of events that lead to the present, whether from the future or the past. Time travel can be paradoxical considering the quantum eraser experiment is a perfect example of this. By using a series of beam splitters and photon detector we can alter the course a single photon and then eliminating the path it has already travel, and force it to never have travel down that path. It's like climbing a ladder, then having someone pull the ladder away and finding that you never climb the ladder in the first place.

Hence, by traveling backward in time you automatically cut/alter your time line. Einstein did not believe in time travel, even after Godel prove that it was possible! Instead you have the same universe just with a series of events that have been altered, the changes would be transmitted up the line to the future till it reach the point of your departure. All informations dealing with you are gone, any relationships or events that you have interacted with has change to show this effect. You yourself are uneffected, and if you travel back to your present you will find the entire world change as if you did not exist. You are now a man with no past.

Now if an other time traveller would travel back in time and you cannot time travel, he could prevent your birth and you would cease to exist. But if you are time traveling at the time, you would be uneffected since no causal event can catch you. In the book "Time Travel in Einstein's Universe: The Physical Possibilities of Travel Through Time" by Richard Gott, Dr Gott (who is a leading expert on the field of time travel) explores a host of methods using configuration of vaccum. Cosmic strings and wormholes that show how an advance civilization could actually create a time machine.

What does everybody else thinks?

Whitestar

m6scott

Re: Time Travel: Recent experiments in quantum erasing

I like it. Let me ask if I understand this correctly on the last part . I travel back in time the moment I leave another time line forms. This is what I always believed to be the case. So it would be very tough for the time traveler to prove he is a time traveler. To us we would realize no change in our time line. Very interesting I wonder if there is any way to tag the time line you left to be able to go to that exact time line?

:unsure:

thenumbersix

Good post.

This applies in the quantum world, will it be different for the macro world as most of the laws are between the two ? Some of the stuff that comes out of quantum experimentation really makes me wonder if we're not wildly off the mark somewhere, is getting more bizarre by the day :D

It would be interesting for sending information back though. You could create a system of quantum information storage, control and transfer. Programming a device to send information back from the future (excuse the pun) and to receive from the future also, whilst requesting new information.

As some information went back the paradox would then make it un-necessary to send it so something else will be sent instead and so on and so forth. Would we instantly have, assuming we have enough storage, a device that contains all information instantaneously ??

headache....

mr_bumpkin

I like the idea that once you're in the past, you're there. You're severed from the time frame of your origin.

I only concurr with the formation of a new timeline idea if we consider that the old time line was destroyed in the process. The creation of a whole new universe based on the changes made by a single time traveler (so as to have two universes now instead of one) seems like a pretty momentous occurrence, too momentous for a machine to be able to bring about.

The only matter left is the issue of duplicate particles of matter existing in different places at the same time. If you go back in time one day so that there are now two of you walking around throughout the same day, that would imply that the same matter was occupying two places at the same time.

Since he/she is you, the matter that composes his/her body is the same matter as that which composes yours, minus any sweat/skin flakes/ excretion you might have shed in the course of the day.

Can it be in two places at once? Maybe that's what time travel is meant to create.

What if you go back a few decades and prevent your own birth? Does the matter that would have become your body go somewhere else, or does something have to disappear?

In order to have the same matter exist in two places at once, there must be a duration limit of some kind on that coexistence or else what you would have would be a machine that creates matter from nothing.

Or.... a better example....
What if you go back in time one day and then do something to prevent yourself from going back in time the next day. (Like tie up your alternate self and leave them in a closet the whole next day through so they can't go back in time)

Now there are two of you. If you then destroy the time machine, from then on, would there always continue to be two of you?

m6scott

Yikes wow ! thats mind bending.. I think if you were to trap both of them I believe they would exist anyway .New time line so who's to say this was not to be?

I have a radio show on this site on Wed 8pm central time called "what if and then what" .. If you are interested in calling in I talk about if Time travel did exist and UFO did exist what would you do? How do we deal this ? and so on..