Time travel

981cav

Well going super fast means time would slow down for you. Let's say you blasted off in a rocket and went, say 50% the speed of light. You travel out a huge distance. Time will pass slower for you but time on Earth will be unchanged. You arrive back to Earth. Maybe a year has passed for you but a duration of 20 years will have passed on Earth. So you would have traveled 19 years in to Earth's future yet only a year has passed for you.

I hear this alot but is 365 days not 365 days no matter how fast you are going it's still 1 year

Harte

I hear this alot but is 365 days not 365 days no matter how fast you are going it's still 1 year
In the example you quoted, when the traveler returned to Earth after 12 months, 17 months will have passed on Earth.

Harte

Harte

Time slowed down for your reference frame compared to the "stationary" reference frame you left.

Harte

981cav

Time slowed down for your reference frame compared to the "stationary" reference frame you left.

Harte
But how why would 365 days be faster or slower depending on speed. I've read stuff on it but it still just doesn't make sense to me. If I stand still and let 60 seconds go by or if I'm going at whatever speed and let 60 seconds go by why would the 60 seconds in both scenarios not be equal?

Harte

But how why would 365 days be faster or slower depending on speed. I've read stuff on it but it still just doesn't make sense to me. If I stand still and let 60 seconds go by or if I'm going at whatever speed and let 60 seconds go by why would the 60 seconds in both scenarios not be equal?
No, they wouldn't be the same.
But in your example, the difference is WAY too small to measure.

Time dilation has been confirmed literally thousands of times.
Here's the equation to calculate it:

time%20dilation%203.PNG

Harte

981cav

No, they wouldn't be the same.
But in your example, the difference is WAY too small to measure.

Time dilation has been confirmed literally thousands of times.
Here's the equation to calculate it:

time%20dilation%203.PNG

Harte
Yes I've seen the equation and know about it being measurable/measured. This brings up another question. Does it mean time is not constant? Oh and thank you for responding I'm glad it's someone like you and not one of the "I'm a time traveler from the future I know all but don't ask for proof types".

Harte

Time is constant within any one inertial reference frame. It's not constant between two different intertial reference frames.

All of this is a consequence of light having a speed limit. That's what's at the root of the "why" part of your questions.

And no, I'm not a time traveler from the future. I'm a time traveler from the past - just like you. Probably from further back though.
Remember the Fall of Rome? Yeah. That was me.
We did it the hard way too. LOL

Harte

981cav

Time is constant within any one inertial reference frame. It's not constant between two different intertial reference frames.

All of this is a consequence of light having a speed limit. That's what's at the root of the "why" part of your questions.

And no, I'm not a time traveler from the future. I'm a time traveler from the past - just like you. Probably from further back though.
Remember the Fall of Rome? Yeah. That was me.
We did it the hard way too. LOL

Harte
So does time really exist Einstein said it was an illusion and have read other articles about how it's basically a construct for referencing events. Like in the loop quantum gravity theory.

TimeFlipper

So does time really exist Einstein said it was an illusion and have read other articles about how it's basically a construct for referencing events. Like in the loop quantum gravity theory.

Do we have to limit the speed of light for being the "only" method of Time-Travel?