Time travel

Harte

So does time really exist Einstein said it was an illusion and have read other articles about how it's basically a construct for referencing events. Like in the loop quantum gravity theory.
Well, time isn't the sort of thing you can point your finger at. The way we perceive time mentally is the result of us not being able to experience it physically.
Do we have to limit the speed of light for being the "only" method of Time-Travel?
Since that's the way it is, I would think so. Time travel will have to be in agreement with how the universe operates.
Besides, if light had no limit, we wouldn't have the loopholes that we think would theoretically allow us to travel in time. Every time travel hypothesis is at it's core entirely dependent on Relativity.

Harte

TimeFlipper

Well, time isn't the sort of thing you can point your finger at. The way we perceive time mentally is the result of us not being able to experience it physically.

Since that's the way it is, I would think so. Time travel will have to be in agreement with how the universe operates.
Besides, if light had no limit, we wouldn't have the loopholes that we think would theoretically allow us to travel in time. Every time travel hypothesis is at it's core entirely dependent on Relativity.

Harte

It would be interesting to find out if our new member agrees with mainstream science on how Time-Travel should theoretically operate, thats why i asked him the question Hartey..

981cav

Do we have to limit the speed of light for being the "only" method of Time-Travel?
Interesting question I am no expert in either field. From what I've read properties of light seem kind of strange in that it reacts/appears differently in different situations ie a wave unless observed then it appears as a particle. I have also read about how the speed of light is not constant that it could be sped up or slowed down in certain circumstances and different mediums. That stuff is way above my pay grade though. A question that question made me think of. Is light the fastest thing out there? I don't see why physical time travel couldn't be achieved through another phenomenon like gravitational forces or or combination of natural forces. Again I'm hoping there are sharper knives in the drawer here than I. To help make sense of this or at least help wrap my head around all this fascinating stuff.

Harte

Interesting question I am no expert in either field. From what I've read properties of light seem kind of strange in that it reacts/appears differently in different situations ie a wave unless observed then it appears as a particle. I have also read about how the speed of light is not constant that it could be sped up or slowed down in certain circumstances and different mediums. That stuff is way above my pay grade though. A question that question made me think of. Is light the fastest thing out there? I don't see why physical time travel couldn't be achieved through another phenomenon like gravitational forces or or combination of natural forces. Again I'm hoping there are sharper knives in the drawer here than I. To help make sense of this or at least help wrap my head around all this fascinating stuff.
Gravity creates acceleration which puts you in a different inertial reference frame that someone that's not in the same gravity well. So the same time dilation concept from the Special Theory of Relativity (where I got that equation) applies (in this case it's the General Theory of Relativity,) though it is somewhat harder to calculate.

Harte

981cav

Gravity creates acceleration which puts you in a different inertial reference frame that someone that's not in the same gravity well. So the same time dilation concept from the Special Theory of Relativity (where I got that equation) applies (in this case it's the General Theory of Relativity,) though it is somewhat harder to calculate.

Harte
On the relativity theories is this proof of or where the stuff like string, grid, or simulation theories come from. Kind of like its relative to the reality our consciousness creates.

Harte

No. Those are attempts at explaining the Standard Model (Quantum Mechanics) a little bit better and unifying the four forces. Also, they seek to reconcile QM with Relativity since the two are actually in direct conflict on many matters.
Except for the simulation thing, which isn't even a theory (beyond being a conspiracy theory that is.)

Harte

981cav

No. Those are attempts at explaining the Standard Model (Quantum Mechanics) a little bit better and unifying the four forces. Also, they seek to reconcile QM with Relativity since the two are actually in direct conflict on many matters.
Except for the simulation thing, which isn't even a theory (beyond being a conspiracy theory that is.)

Harte
Back to light speeds and time travel I feel like I've hijacked the thread and steered it off course. I was reading about some scientists that sped light to 300 times its regular speed in a vacuum. With gas and laser beams. It appeared to exit the gas before entering ie going backwards in time. Doesn't one of Einstein's theories say if it traveled fast enough it would go back in time. And does it actually mean it's going backwards in time or just arriving before the present time. Like does it keep going back or just stay a little ahead.

Harte

You ever heard of "escape velocity?" If you reach escape velocity starting from Earth, you will eventually leave the Earth's gravity well without having to accelerate any further.
Think of light as the escape velocity for the universe (which is exactly what it is.)
There's no way to tell what an observer would experience if they cross light speed.
So you can say you'll travel back in time, or you can say you'll turn into a donkey.

Also, if you slowed back down, there's no way to tell if you'd re-enter this universe (or any other ones, assuming they exist.)

Harte

981cav

You ever heard of "escape velocity?" If you reach escape velocity starting from Earth, you will eventually leave the Earth's gravity well without having to accelerate any further.
Think of light as the escape velocity for the universe (which is exactly what it is.)
There's no way to tell what an observer would experience if they cross light speed.
So you can say you'll travel back in time, or you can say you'll turn into a donkey.

Also, if you slowed back down, there's no way to tell if you'd re-enter this universe (or any other ones, assuming they exist.)

Harte
1 more elementary school type question. If you go faster then light could you even see to navigate?

Harte

There's no predicting what will happen to anyone going faster than light.

I'd point out that when you reach 99% of light speed, just the ambient light in the universe will be so blue-shifted it would probably turn you to ash. Unimaginably powerful gamma radiation.

Better have good shielding.

Harte