Timeline without Christianity

dimension-1hacker

I'm sorry for you. You are angry and unable to see past your own misgivings. Good Luck to you, my friend.
funny, great cartoon. subjectively better would be the persons head up their own, and the god an old man in the form of a ghost hovering around it. A god may exist but only science and philosophy can prove that.

dimension-1hacker

I'm sorry for you. You are angry and unable to see past your own misgivings. Good Luck to you, my friend.
That is true but the misgivings and the cartoon I peceive to be funny is an accurate representation of most people that are religious, most people do not justify their believe in any philosophical or scientific way which are the only way a god can be proven to exist. Most people like that do not think for themselves and refer to the bible to tell them what to do in every situation sometimes metaphorically and other times literally, and he is correct that the god in the bible is what most in this culture if not bias would call an superrpowered human "prick"; though you are correct the bible was written by humans so long live the human influence. Scientific studies have shown political beliefs, religious beliefs, and social norms are only in most peoples head because of the parents and or societies influence not any sort of logic. You could argue that the scientists conducting the studies just don't understand, but to understand each other there needs to be common ground. The charged words both sides to debate agree on one way to define "faith, "god", and so.
I define faith as a lack of proof, as an emotion that is neither proven or disproven inherently.
How do you define faith?

Orpheus Rex

I discovered a video about a supposedly timeline without Christianity. The story was received by Terrence McKenna during a mushroom trip.

Quotes from the video:

What are your opinions about it?

How do you think the world would have evolved without Christianity?

You could like the video. @Gnostic Christian

Terrence McKenna and his demonic clockwork elves should never be taken seriously.

Anyways, one way Christianity made the world a better place by banning child brothels (basically the first thing that happened when Rome Christianized.) I'm sure Terrence doesn't go over how that little bit of history would have changed.

Orpheus Rex

yeah most religious debate is pretty boring.
same old 1000yr old arguments over and over with no new insight.
it's like enough already

I'll disagree and say that's particularly Western. The West argued a version of God where there can be no epistemological access to God except after death (the beatific vision) and forcing religious knowledge to only be possible through natural theology, which has causes a breakdown in epistemology at large in the West - a lot of very stupid arguments - and there is no longer even a basic 'theory of knowledge' anymore. It's a dead end paradigm, but it's not the whole of the 'debate.'

And sadly, even if something is debated well, it does not mean consensus can be achieved. People hold onto their presuppositions fiercely, as we see in that kind of debate, but just because agreement is not reached as a result does not mean that there isn't rightness or correctness on one side of the debate and not the other.

But religion is unavoidable. Terrence McKenna has faith in his Clockwork Elves and the genocide that they recommend to him. All moral values are religious, thus for Terrence 'genocide is good' but I disagree with him and thus by having differing moral values we have a religious debate.

dimension-1hacker

I'll disagree and say that's particularly Western. The West argued a version of God where there can be no epistemological access to God except after death (the beatific vision) and forcing religious knowledge to only be possible through natural theology, which has causes a breakdown in epistemology at large in the West - a lot of very stupid arguments - and there is no longer even a basic 'theory of knowledge' anymore. It's a dead end paradigm, but it's not the whole of the 'debate.'

And sadly, even if something is debated well, it does not mean consensus can be achieved. People hold onto their presuppositions fiercely, as we see in that kind of debate, but just because agreement is not reached as a result does not mean that there isn't rightness or correctness on one side of the debate and not the other.

But religion is unavoidable. Terrence McKenna has faith in his Clockwork Elves and the genocide that they recommend to him. All moral values are religious, thus for Terrence 'genocide is good' but I disagree with him and thus by having differing moral values we have a religious debate.
I argue that that any visual or senses derived perception of a god in dreams and all other instances are not evidence of a god as there is no evidence inherent that the god is the only thing that caused it. The western version of a god is not logical because it is easy to prove nothing can be created or destroyed and that nothing can be all powerful, and morals are separate from religion. All arguements have to go through that wall which won't be broken by the types of arguements that don't rely on logic. The system that we all live in and are apart of is made of up things that are only made of mass and take of space or or just would not exist consciousness the only other thing, thus whatever is in the system is part of it.

Last edited:

dimension-1hacker

Terrence McKenna and his demonic clockwork elves should never be taken seriously.

Anyways, one way Christianity made the world a better place by banning child brothels (basically the first thing that happened when Rome Christianized.) I'm sure Terrence doesn't go over how that little bit of history would have changed.
crucades? child brothels? It all depends of the culture that defines the subjective good, in almost every other culture people were arbitrarily considered adults at the age of 13, not arguing for or against, just stating that if you were born into those societies you would believe the same things.

alpha centauri

Most the history of christians and christianity was of opression and mass murder, during the middle ages islamic nations were more peaceful and at least did not start the religious wars over "kill for god";
Aha and the Turks were never in Vienna. That is totally bullshit and alternative facts. Since the beginning of Islam they invaded other countries like Iran, India, Turkey, Northern Africa, the Balcan And they didnt do it in a peaceful manner. And those that did not want to convert, they killed.

are you sure the priests took "jesus's world" to heart at all, ever? Don't give some small random example, I do not care, the majority, the huge majority, well maybe
That is Jesus correct teaching. That does not mean, that everybody followed it in history. Right wing Christian can be more easily convinced to the correct teaching than Muslims. And that was asked.

In us, slavery, christian, islam no slaves, christianity uh kill maim discriminate against thy niebor and steal oil from and do cou's every few years
in the name of oil.
That was your country. And Muslim countries are doing the same in according to oil, if they have the power and you let them do it. This you can see at the moment. And of course Muslim had slaves. Another alternative fact. Slave laws are even in the Koran. Muslims had slave since the beginning of their religion. If sombody copied it, it was the other way around.

Islam, a few extremists copy what the christians did. Uh, jesus abolished slavery laws... when, where? maybe not for more then a few minutes before the roman's killed him. its not like any "good christian" was nice to thy neibor after that.
It does not matter, what others make out of the religion. It does matter, what is in it. And Christianity is way better than Islam. The Old Testament is a bit similar, but also not that cruel. Jesus taught unconditional love and the treating of others like you want to be treated. That contradicts slavery. The church just made it look like Jesus would appove those old laws. He would not.

I can easily give you some surahs and hadiths, you are defending, because you like them. And than we see which religion is better. Do you also have to say something about Muhammed? So you are saying he had no slaves, although Muslims say otherwise?

dimension-1hacker

Aha and the Turks were never in Vienna. That is totally bullshit and alternative facts. Since the beginning of Islam they invaded other countries like Iran, India, Turkey, Northern Africa, the Balcan And they didnt do it in a peaceful manner. And those that did not want to convert, they killed.

That is Jesus correct teaching. That does not mean, that everybody followed it in history. Right wing Christian can be more easily convinced to the correct teaching than Muslims. And that was asked.

Well, literally almost nobody did.

That was your country. And Muslim countries are doing the same in according to oil, if they have the power and you let them do it. This you can see at the moment. And of course Muslim had slaves. Another alternative fact. Slave laws are even in the Koran. Muslims had slave since the beginning of their religion. If sombody copied it, it was the other way around.

oil, if they did not would not be able to survive, think of the droughts and the western countries would have conquered them a long time ago if not.
Well, serfs were slaves, much worse conditions then muslim slaves if any, and its like muslims and muslims did the opposite some of what each bible side. Conquer? why not, countries don't exist only the things and people in them, the muslims did not descriminate based off religion and skin color unlike those christians; it is better to live that way, and conquering if remains strong mantians peace long term instead of cosntant short term squables.

It does not matter, what others make out of the religion. It does matter, what is in it. And Christianity is way better than Islam. The Old Testament is a bit similar, but also not that cruel. Jesus taught unconditional love and the treating of others like you want to be treated. That contradicts slavery. The church just made it look like Jesus would appove those old laws. He would not.

so what, its not like the church and the rest cared anyways, what does that matter if nobody cared, its better to influence those people in other ways, like saying conquering is good but state no discrimination, its not like the people would not do it anyways, just fool themselves into thinking that. People today that are literate just cherry pick it anyways, majority are christians, lets see, slavery, skin based descrimination, hate thy niebor, lots of wars, and so on. Christianity is not subjectively better. Of course in those times in somebody mass preached nonviolence some faction would pop up to suppress that in order to keep the religion alive, "for their own good"; that is as clear as day.

I can easily give you some surahs and hadiths, you are defending, because you like them. And than we see which religion is better. Do you also have to say something about Muhammed? So you are saying he had no slaves, although Muslims say otherwise?

don't like religion in general that and is a reason why I might not be bias, just read a few history textbooks and you will see the effect of christianity versus islam. The better living conditions, the prolonged peace time compared to before, christian serfs compared to potential muslim slaves, christians inability to be nice to thy neibor when most people are now literate compared to a few islam extremists, it seems that islam is better at keeping practicioners actual following the belief systems stated in the islamic bible then christians. and seem better off in most historical settings for it, atleast the majority of people.

Even muslims now usually eat more healthy foods then the majority of christians that support the fast food companies that are around because of that to sell foods that give thy neiobor an early death from few types of cancers and a heart attack, curtously on the bibles everlasting influence perhaps.
responses in the qoute

Last edited:

Gnostic Christian

It's comical to see all the "religious debates" just ending with people insulting each other. It's almost like nobody can really prove anything.

To stay on topic, I think a timeline without Christianity would still have as much suffering. Events like the crusades just would have been done by a different religion or group. Suffering will always exists regardless of what religion is most prevalent.

IOW, evil/suffering etc is normal. Right?

It must have value to our evolution then, or it would have gone dormant, like our tails.

Let's celebrate evil as normal then.

Regards
DL