Chronovisor [TimeTravelForum.net] Padraic's Thread

Snow

The Time Travel Library

The Time Travel Library! The world's largest archive of time travel information available on the Internet.
IPB
The Time Travel Library
HelpSearchMembersCalendar
Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Time Travel Library > Time Travel Hoaxers > Padraic > Padraic's Hoax

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll
Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+
> Padraic's Thread

Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
Snow Fire Watches post Oct 6 2004, 09:08 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Printable Version of Topic
Click here to view this topic in its original format
The Time Travel Forum _ Proved Hoaxes _ Padraic
Posted by: Snow Fire Watches Aug 16 2004, 02:24 PM
Welcome Padraic! I have taken the liberty of starting a topic here for you so you don't get lost in the roster thread.

Glad to see you on this board. Word is that Gavin has "turned off" ttf1 and since we don't know if this is temporary or permanent, your previous posts may be lost - very sorry to say.

QUOTE(Padraic @ Aug 16 2004, 12:49 PM)
Here are my answers to your questions here. I have several posts on the other board, including a detailed story of my experience along with answers to several detailed questions from several people on that board. I probably don't have too many answers regarding actual methods of travel, given that my "trip" was not by my intention and was not something I would have chosen to do at the time.

Location Then:
( Or now if you are from this time period)
Norfolk, Virginia June 1807
1) People you knew, alias ok
served with Robert Milliken, Midshipman Bratty, Lieutenant Ludlow, Captain Morris and later Captain Barron. There were many others.
2) Occupation you had
seaman aboard USS Chesapeake, US Navy frigate, sponger on 18 pound gun crew
3) Recreation you enjoyed
playing music, reading, and griping about officers

Who you are:
1) What you wished to be called on this board
Padraic
2) What languages you speak
English
3) What education/training you have
equivalent of modern high school diploma, basic seamanship (not much of a topman, but can go aloft if needed) firing cannon and small arms. (dreadfully slow at musket loading, though, which is why I served as a sponger on a gun crew and was rarely trusted with much else.)

The Trip:
(Or trips you took)
1) Month, day, year left
June 22 or 23 (not sure, since I was wounded and asleep a lot) 1807.
2) Method of time travel
I have no clue. I would like to know that myself.
2b) Capabilities and limitations of travel if known
I ended up here, so at least that much is possible.
2c) Why you time traveled if intentional
I would not have intended to do it.
3) Month, day, year of arrival if known
June 22, 1994.

This Forum:
1) How you found this forum
Someone on the other forum mentioned it.
2) Why you are posting on this forum
The other forum is down and I saw some familiar names on this one.
3) Any goals you hope to achieve
I have been here too long to hope to go back, but I would like answers about how I could have ended up here. I do not know how it happened and I am curious.

Location now:
( Or that you went to )
I arrived in Norfolk, Virginia, in close proximity to where I was when I went to sleep. I now live in Ohio.
1) Geographic region you live in
Cincinnati, Ohio
1b) Type of building you are staying in
house
2) Who you live with, alias ok
wife
3) How you live, (Job/Money/Guardians/Begging/Foraging)
I work as a financial analyst.
4) Media technology available to you
( Scanners, Webcams, Digital Camera, mics)
computer, printer, and broken scanner

Welcome Aboard.

Posted by: CaryP Aug 16 2004, 02:51 PM

I work as a financial analyst.

Padraic,

How did you learn the skills to become a financial analyst without formal education? Are you licensed with the NASD or the SEC? Do you work for a large firm, or a smaller one? What area of analysis do you specialize in?

Thanks in advance for answering my questions.

Cary

Posted by: Cloaked Aug 16 2004, 02:59 PM
Everything he stated in the thread on the other forum checks out. All names he posted and dates to go with events checked out. The name he messaged to me, his real name, also checked out as a member of the crew.
I'm not saying what happened to him actually happened. I'm just letting everyone know that the story seems to be true.

Posted by: Grayson Aug 16 2004, 03:08 PM
Cloaked: It may be far wiser to say that Patrick's story is for the most part accurate, that doesn't necessarily preclude it from being true, but you are suggesting that he may be a genuine TT'er. I think that is a state yet to be verified.

Posted by: Anoah Aug 16 2004, 03:13 PM
Padraic knows his way around historical facts but there is stuff he gets wrong. If his feelings and sentiments are smack out of the early 19th century than all of our history books are way off.

Posted by: Cloaked Aug 16 2004, 03:20 PM
I'm not saying he is a real TT'er. Just that his story is true. It was easy enough to verify and would have been easy for him to research it to get the facts straight before his first post.

History can be different depending on who is telling the story. I am sure that the history books in Europe give a much different account of affairs than what we have in the States. His version of events is from someone that was supposedly there. There can be many versions of history and all of them can be true. It just depends on who wrote it and at what time.

Posted by: Grayson Aug 16 2004, 03:25 PM
There are many errors in Patrick's tale, errors that he has unwittingly subscribed too in my brief encounter with him.

Reading history can only tell you so much and to be really good at passing yourself off as being from a previous point in time, you need to research real well. I did, he didn't, but he is such an agreable character that I never pursued these errors with him. Sometimes the company is more important than the journey and I like his company.

Make no mistakes though, Patrick's tale is far from watertight.

Posted by: Padraic Aug 16 2004, 05:44 PM
Hello all,

I do not have much time to be online tonight, so I will make an attempt at answering your questions as best I can. I may perhaps come back on later, but I am canning vegetables tonight and expect that to take a fair bit of time. If I have time later, I will come back on.

Regarding my work, I am with a division of Citigroup, which is what you would call a large company. They don't require a degree to do what I do, just that you go through their training and pass the requisite exams to be licensed. I carry a Series 6 license.

Someone else mentioned that I have attitudes that are not wholly from the 19th century. I can see where that might appear to be a sticking point, but I have been here for ten years and have over that time been attempting to adapt as well as I can in order to not stick out too much. I have adopted some of the attitudes of this era, but there are others that I find disturbing. People in my time were as varied in opinions and attitudes as they are now, so coming up with one composite attitude for the time would be stereotypical at the best and not an accurate portrayal of every person living then. Yes, I do not fully fit a profile of someone from that era, but I am no longer in that era, having been here for ten years, so it stands to reason that I would not fit that profile 100%.

Errors notwithstanding, I do thank you all for the benefit of the doubt that you are at the least welcome to give me. My memories are by no means infallible, and had I done even a minimum amount of research, I would no doubt have come up with a tale that could have met with whatever level of scrutiny you could choose to employ. The truth is that it was never my intention to provide a scrupulously detailed account of the early 19th century, with every t crossed and every i dotted. It was my intention to relay my experience to the best of my memory and see what everyone thought of it and if anyone could give me some answers to the questions I have. There were some who believed me, some who did not, and quite a few who remain undecided. If I were in your shoes, I would most likely find myself in the undecided camp, given the nearly unbelievable nature of my story. Either way, the company on the other board, and here so far, has been agreeable, so I thank you for that courtesy. I will answer more questions later. For now, I must get to my canning.

Humbly,

Padraic

Posted by: sosuemetoo Aug 16 2004, 05:53 PM
Padriac,
Welcome to the forum.

I was following your thread very closely on timetravelforum.tk. I never posted. I enjoyed your posts very much. I admit, that when the forum was closed down, yours were the posts that I missed the most.

Kick back, make yourself comfortable, tell your story. There are many members here that are interested in what you have to say.

"Mom"
(sosumee2 on ttf.tk)

Posted by: CaryP Aug 16 2004, 06:54 PM
Got to hand it to you Padraic, the chicks dig you. They love your eloquent replies. Keep 'em comin' ma man.

I have a couple of questions for you, based on your last response.

What does your Series 6 allow you to do?
Were you required to obtain any other licensure?
How were you able to sit for an exam with the NASD without proper identification and background check by your employer?
What classroom or other study methods did you use to obtain the "knowledge" to pass your Series 6 exam?

Repeat of former questions.

What area of analysis do you specialize in?
Where/how did you learn to do financial analysis that warrents your current position?

Thanks again for your answer, and for the upcoming answers to my questions. You may have some possibilities here.

Cary

Posted by: Padraic Aug 16 2004, 08:20 PM
In answer to the questions I missed the last time, the Series 6 allows me to market mutual funds, not individual stocks. The question regarding my identification was covered in a post on the other board, but here we go again. There was a couple who took me in back in 1994 when they discovered me in Northside Park in Norfolk. I do not know how he managed it, but the man managed to obtain a forged birth certificate that I was able to use to obtain a Social Security number and eventually a driving permit. Learning to drive a motor vehicle was quite a frightening experience for me, especially the speed at which they move. The SEC wanted work history as far back as I could provide it, so I gave them that. There was no criminal history on my record, so everything checked out. The classroom training was at my company office. Some of the other people there who were already licensed went through the study materials with us and I studied the material for many hours before taking the exam, which I found to be quite difficult.

I handle mostly retirement planning, IRAs and the like. We also counsel people on eliminating debt, basically getting out of debt and planning for a secure future, principles that haven't changed much from where I came from.

I must say that your questions were quite different from what I am used to handling. Most people want to know about where I come from instead of where I am now. Since I do not have a clue how to get back there, I must assume that I am here to stay and that where I am now bears more consequence than where I have been. As for my story being watertight, how can we expect that? Even the most weatherly ship works at the seams a little and requires some time at the pumps to get them dry. We should measure the depth of water in the well and if it gets too high, then there is cause for alarm. If I came out with a story impeccable in every detail with no apparent discrepancies, I would think that would smell funny, since anyone with enough research time could come up with such a story. Someone going from memory is invariably going to get a few small details a little off. I just hope that I keep those to a minimum. At best, my story is both difficult to prove or disprove, since I cannot produce a prediction of the future like the folks claiming to be from the future can. At least with them, you have them over a barrel if the prediction turns out false.

So now I need to attend to my duties in the kitchen. My wife will be home soon and I need to have so much done before she arrives so I do not end up standing the dog watch. I bid you all a good night.

Padraic

Posted by: Padraic Aug 16 2004, 08:23 PM
Let me amend the title of my thread slightly. You call me a time traveler from 1807, but my journey was far from intentional. Since the word traveler, at least to me, would indicate some intent on the part of the traveler, perhaps I am some sort of cosmic accident victim. I do not know if that title has quite the same ring to it, though, so perhaps we will stick with what you put there from the start.

Good night,

Padraic

Posted by: Snow Fire Watches Aug 16 2004, 08:51 PM

QUOTE(Padraic @ Aug 16 2004, 08:23 PM)
Let me amend the title of my thread slightly. You call me a time traveler from 1807, but my journey was far from intentional. Since the word traveler, at least to me, would indicate some intent on the part of the traveler, perhaps I am some sort of cosmic accident victim. I do not know if that title has quite the same ring to it, though, so perhaps we will stick with what you put there from the start.

Good night,

Padraic

Hello Pedraic - I amended the title - I hope you like it!

SFW

Posted by: TheHeggy Aug 16 2004, 11:04 PM
Hi there.

Your story is extremely fascinating. If this is a gag, it's an extremely well thought out and well prepared gag.

The way you type, and the maturity of your "voice" only lends to your credibility.

When you find the time, I'd like you to please answer some questions for me. I'm sure these have been covered on the old forums, but I make it a rule never to go there. Personal thing

How did you arrive here? Did you just wake up and here you were?

What was your initial reaction to your situation, and to this time?

What do you think is the greatest waste of mankind's technology?

What was your reaction when you learned that man has walked on the moon.... And then lost interest?

Did you have a wife/kids in the 1800s?

Is there a missing person's report for you? MIA perhaps?

What was the first movie you saw in this timeline? What did you think?

How hard was it for you to learn to use and type on a computer?

I think that's plenty right now... My aplogies if it's too much at once. One other question... Have you ever listened to a show called "Coast To Coast AM"? Used to be hosted by Art Bell, but is now hosted by George Noory. Would you consider being a guest on their show? I think you might gain a lot of insight into how you got here by doing that.

Their website is Coast to Coast AM: The Best Paranormal News Show | Coast to Coast AM

The email to request to be a guest is [email protected]

Have a good night

Posted by: CaryP Aug 17 2004, 06:56 AM

I handle mostly retirement planning, IRAs and the like. We also counsel people on eliminating debt, basically getting out of debt and planning for a secure future, principles that haven't changed much from where I came from.

Padriac,

This isn't exactly what I'd call "financial analyst" work, but you're entitled to call it whatever you'd like. "Financial analyst" to me is someone who examines financial statements of publicly traded corps. using various ratios and metrics to determine profitability, rates of growth, financial stability, etc. Bonds are another area of "financial analysis" but there are different standards of measurement than stocks. Sounds more like you're on the retail side of the business. So a couple more questions if you don't mind. I understand if you don't want to answer some of them. I'd appreciate a "no comment" on the ones you don't care to answer. Then again, you could blow me off and not even respond.

Do you handle your own group of clients or do you assist a Series 7 broker with his/her clients?

Sounds like the practice you're involved with is more commission based, yes/no? Do you have any fee based clients, or have you tried that yet?

Are you also licensed to market variable annuities?

Are you familiar with the Elliot Wave Principle?

Have you read any books by Robert Prechter, Jr.?

Are you familiar with the Austrian school of economics?

What is your division of Citigroup telling you/your office about projected market targets for the end of this year? (I'm sure they're bullish, I'm just curious as to how much they are.)

Thanks again, lady's man. (That's a joke, since most of the ladies here dig your style. Reference to the SNL character "Lady's Man" - "got me a bottle of Courvoisier and a lady." the Lady's Man. Hell, they even made a movie out of it.)

Cary

Posted by: cerial Aug 17 2004, 07:56 AM
á chara

good to see you posting here .. was wondering what happened over on the other board.

i never offered before but is there anything you want to know about irish history/culture etc since you've been gone ?

anything you want to know about me ?

go de tú slán

b

Posted by: Padraic Aug 17 2004, 09:33 AM
Now those are some questions that will take some time to reply to. In short, I went to sleep and woke up on a park bench in Northside Park in Norfolk. We had been involved in a rather one sided engagement with HMS Leopard and I received a slight wound, a splinter that hit me in the head and knocked me senseless for a while. I still have frequent headaches, so I wonder if there was more damage there than previously thought. The Brithsh captain took some prisoners off our ship and let us go. We came back to Norfolk to re-fit and the wounded, myself included, were taken ashore. I was lying in a bed, drifting in and out, and was briefly questioned by two suspicious looking fellows in officer's uniforms, but the memories of that are somewhat hazy. Upon waking up in the park, I thought I saw one of them waking away, but I cannot be entirely sure. Then the couple who took me in took notice of me and there ensued a brief conversation in which I was told the current date and the woman took a sympathetic bend and decided that I was someone who needed looking after.

It is hard to describe my initial reaction. I had a terrible headache and in part I must thought it was a strange dream. Just about everything was a bombardment on my senses and I had a difficult time taking it all in. The first thing I noticed was that people were dressed funny and their watches were on their wrists instead of in their pockets. Automobiles were somewhat of a shock. I almost was struck by one attempting to cross a street. I saw it some distance away, figured I had plenty of time to cross, and then it was upon me faster than I figured should be possible. No carriage had ever moved that fast before, at least not in my experience.

Biggest waste of technology. That is a loaded question and one I would have to contemplate for some time. Today's culture is extremely wasteful on the whole, which was something else that perplexed me. Everything is disposable. We have disposable plates, cutlery, cups, etc. I would say that paper plates are an extreme waste, but those are not what one would call a technological marvel. The dishwasher strikes me as somewhat wasteful, since it does something we are quite capable of doing ourselves and much more water is used to run it. We have one and I use it on occasion myself, but now and then it strikes me as something that encourages sloth. People also use their automobiles for short trips way too much. What is wrong with walking a mile or two to pick up that one item from the store? It is no wonder that more people are out of physical condition now than before. Nuclear weaponry is something else I have always thought wasteful, considering the amount of money it costs to build one and the number of times they are actually used. It seems to me a strange endeavor to manufacture ordnance that does not serve an everyday military purpose or in the act of being used will always cause undue suffering to the civilian population. I am by no means an expert on today's military, however, so perhaps some learned people in this area could school me in the need for these weapons. Since I was not around during the so called "cold war", I fear I cannot relate to what the arms race was all about. If I take more time in consideration of this question, no doubt I will come up with more, but that is what is coming to the forefront of my mind at the moment.

I did not believe the moon story at first, but after touring the Air Force museum in Dayton, I saw many other things that were somewhat difficult to grasp. By that point, I had accepted what had happened to me and that I was not having some sort of extremely vivid dream. Upon seeing the exhibits about the history of the space program and what had been done, I was fascinated that we had managed to accomplish such a feat. I am still surprised that we have not done more there since then. One would expect there to be some sort of base or settlement there by now, at least something along the lines of the "space stations" I have read about. Why did we stop going?

I had a wife then, but we were not married that long. She died in childbirth and the baby was lost as well. That is what eventually drove me to the Navy.

About five years ago, I was doing some research in a library to see if I could find any records of myself. I found a photo copy of an old muster from my ship on microfilm in an archive and the letters DD were written next to my name. That stood for discharged dead in my day. I do not know what drove them to assume that I was dead. One would think they would have listed me as missing or as deserted. The odd thing I also found was that someone else with my surname was on the ship in 1813 during the action with the Shannon. I don't know where he came from, since I was not aware of anyone else in Norfolk at the time with my last name, but perhaps he came from other parts.

Even before I came here, I have always been interested in the medieval period, so the first movie I saw here was Braveheart. I had seen television already and my adopted "father" (for lack of a better word) had tried to explain to me that there were methods of capturing moving images and being able to show them later, so by the time I went into a movie theater, the experience was not a total shock. I did enjoy the movie extremely, but it was something of an assault on the senses until I was made to understand that the battle scenes were all faked. I still marvel at how some of what I saw on that screen could be made to look so real without anyone actually being harmed. I do enjoy films and I do believe that they are a powerful medium of communication because they have the ability to completely immerse the viewer in a different world for a period of time. I have a difficult time watching ones depicting my time period, though, because of my tendency to pick at all the details that are gotten wrong. The modern perception of that time is somewhat skewed and what you will see in the history books is by no means accurate in its entirety.

Learning to use a computer was not that easy, but on the other hand it was not really that difficult either. There is still much that I do not know. I can only do the basics of the internet and email. I mostly use it for my work. The company has a web site where I can keep tabs on clients' accounts and print documents. My new "mother" taught me how to type by extreme repetition, the same method I learned my duties onboard the ship as well. I feel that the rapid advancement of computer technology was somewhat to my advantage, given that I felt like I was learning all the new things along with everyone else. It took me about two months before I got to where I could type without looking at the keys and now, some ten years later, I find that I type roughly 80 words a minute. I do not know if that is good or bad, but I feel like my fingers are positively flying. My penmanship, as a result, has declined drastically from lack of use.

I have never heard that radio show. I have heard about it, but I have never listened to it. I would have to hear it some before I could ever decide whether or not to go on there as a guest, and even then, it would take some time to consider before making a decision like that. It would have to be anonymous, since from the time I arrived here, it has been my endeavor to blend in with this world as much as I can. I figure that I am now here for the long haul and I must make the most of it. I have a good wife (who blissfully knows nothing of my past) and a good career. I would not mind having some answers to my questions. I have always wondered how I came to be here, but perhaps the answer would take me into areas that I would rather not venture into. Time will tell.

I was about to post this, but now I see the other post asking about my work. The division of Citigroup I am with is Primerica. The work is commission based, but anyone who puts in the time will earn a living at it. We are called "personal financial analyst" in the company. It's more or less the title the company gives us since what we do is analyze someone's personal situation and figure out ways to help them reach their goals. I have not yet been licensed for annuities, I am not familiar with this Elliott Wave, and I have not read any books by the other fellow you mention either. I also do not think I am familiar with anything out of Austria other than music. About projected markets, I do not have that information in front of me at the moment and I am not comfortable with venturing guesses. By the way, what is SNL?

Regards,

Padraic

Posted by: Padraic Aug 17 2004, 09:46 AM
Cerial,

I do not know what happened to the other board. Maybe that Chronohistorian fellow had something to do with it. He was a real piece of work. The main question I have about Ireland is regarding the famine of the 1840s. I have done some reading about it and it seems to stick out as a major landmark event in the history of the Irish people. How well is it still remembered? Are there stories of it still passed down? Does the memory of it have much of an effect on attitudes about the English? I am curious, since the stories of it, for obvious reasons, were not to be heard during my childhood. Do you have any opinions or insights about the situation in Ulster? I am somewhat curious what part you are from or currently reside in.

Posted by: Grayson Aug 17 2004, 10:55 AM
Patrick, please don't take my scepticism to heart. I am convinced, from our prior conversation over at Gav's Board, that you haven't, but I wish to let everyone else know that we are Gentlemen of a certain understanding.

I consider you good company, I have enjoyed your wit and the manner in which you weave your tale and I am genuinely pleased that you are here. I would like to know more about you, the now and the then of your life, to this end, I will be certain to maintain a standard of good company as you yourself display.

That said, crack on dear fellow and share your tale, safe in the company of our little Community.

Posted by: DadOf5 Aug 17 2004, 10:59 AM

QUOTE(Padraic @ Aug 17 2004, 11:33 AM)
Nuclear weaponry is something else I have always thought wasteful, considering the amount of money it costs to build one and the number of times they are actually used. It seems to me a strange endeavor to manufacture ordnance that does not serve an everyday military purpose or in the act of being used will always cause undue suffering to the civilian population. I am by no means an expert on today's military, however, so perhaps some learned people in this area could school me in the need for these weapons. Since I was not around during the so called "cold war", I fear I cannot relate to what the arms race was all about.

The acronym for the arms race during the cold war is probably one of the most accurate in history. It was called MAD for Mutually Assured Destruction. The point was to build so many nuclear weapons that if any country started a nuclear war, they could be assured that they would also be destroyed in retaliation. In its own peculiar way, it was a deterrent to nuclear war.

The arms race was also a driving factor in the ending of the cold war. The arms were so expensive to manufacture that in tryng to keep up with the United States, the Soviet Union drove itself to financial ruin. The failing Soviet economy was a large factor in the collapse of the Soviet Union.

Posted by: CaryP Aug 17 2004, 11:52 AM
Padraic,

Thanks for responding to my questions. SNL is "Saturday Night Live" a live comedy show on the NBC network. The show started in the mid-1970's but continues on to this day. It's broadcast from a studio in New York City. The early years were the funniest bringing us the comedic talents of Dan Akroyd, John Belusi, Chevy Chase, Bill Murrary, Gilda Radner, Lorraine Newman, Garret Morris, and Jane Curtain. They were called the "Not Ready for Prime Time Players" as the show comes on at 10:30 p.m. central time (after Prime Time 7:00 to 9:00 p.m.). There have been other great comedic talents that have come from the show - Eddie Murphy, Chris Rock, Will Farrell, Dennis Miller, David Spade, Dana Carvey, Mike Meyers, Chris Farley, and Norm McDonald, come to mind.

BTW, as it will affect your career and industry, you might want to read "Conquer the Crash" by Prechter. Very enlightening given our current economic situation.

Thanks again,

Cary

Posted by: Padraic Aug 17 2004, 11:52 AM
I have read about how the arms race brought down the Soviet Union, but there seems to have been a certain mindset during that time, an "us against them" mentality that was part of some long going rivalry. I have heard people speak of a certain fear they had of a nuclear war, and it is that mindset that I feel I cannot relate to that well. What was it like living during that time? Was there really that pervading fear that I have read about, or is that a certain amount of exaggeration?

Posted by: Padraic Aug 17 2004, 12:09 PM
Grayson,

No hard feelings. My tale is one that is going to bring about a certain amount of understandable skepticism. If I were you, I would have serious doubts as well. Sometimes I wonder if the whole thing isn't some weird elaborately vivid dream and I will awake back in that infirmary sometime soon with the doctors asking me how my head feels. Most of the time, however, I discount that theory on the grounds that the technology I have witnessed here is so far beyond anything my mind could have conceived then.

Cary,

I do not believe I have ever watched the show you speak of. Most Saturday nights I am sitting on the couch with my nose in a book while my wife watches America's Most Wanted. She is convinced she will recognize someone on there one of these days. We do not stay up late enough for that other show, as it appears to come on rather late. We turn in rather early in our house on the nights that my wife isn't working and get up before the sun. Old habits die hard I suppose.

Posted by: KiraSjon Aug 17 2004, 01:07 PM

QUOTE(Padraic @ Aug 17 2004, 12:52 PM)
What was it like living during that time? Was there really that pervading fear that I have read about, or is that a certain amount of exaggeration?

hi padriac! I haven't posted to you before (so nice to meet you ) but I do have a comment about this. I was in kindergarten during the early eighties and I can tell you it definately affect all ages of America. I'm half Soviet Georgian and came home crying one day because my teacher informed our class that all Soviets were evil and wrong. Grant it, she seems now to me to be a bit of an extremist, but at the time I was very affected. Children don't really understand grown-up wars.

incidently, which vegetables do you can? my great aunt still does that

Posted by: Padraic Aug 17 2004, 01:29 PM
Perhaps your teacher should have taken the perspective that the Soviet government was a bit off base, but that the people weren't the ones who were evil. In my day, we did not think kindly of the British government, but I served with some English deserters and they were quite fine fellows and right good seamen. I had no beef with the average Englishman, just his government and their policies. My perspective of the cold war is what I have read, that the Soviets were all evil ogres and America was the shining city on a hill, a regular paragon of virtue, goodness, and righteousness. It is good to hear the perspective of someone who was growing up at that time.

I can mostly beans, peas in the pod, and pickles. I take corn off the cob and freeze it. I don't can fruits because I prefer them fresh and not cooked. My system still has problems with many processed foods, so I can or freeze what I can and buy as little as possible from the stores. I have a large freezer and I buy what meat I can in large bulk from the local butchers. The additives in most of the food in the stores is not kind to me. Last night I was working on the green beans. I still have another bushel to put up tonight. I will do around 150 quarts of beans when all is said and done, which along with the corn and peas should be enough to last the better part of a year.

Posted by: KiraSjon Aug 17 2004, 06:30 PM

QUOTE(Padraic @ Aug 17 2004, 02:29 PM)
My perspective of the cold war is what I have read, that the Soviets were all evil ogres and America was the shining city on a hill, a regular paragon of virtue, goodness, and righteousness.

precisely my point, padriac. you read about that perspective because it genuinely *was* the perspective of many patriotic adults. it's very sad.

hey! that's a *ton* of vegetables!! i'm making it a point to know you when the world starts completely breaking to pieces least i'll still be healthy!

Posted by: DadOf5 Aug 18 2004, 12:16 AM

QUOTE(Padraic @ Aug 17 2004, 01:52 PM)
I have read about how the arms race brought down the Soviet Union, but there seems to have been a certain mindset during that time, an "us against them" mentality that was part of some long going rivalry. I have heard people speak of a certain fear they had of a nuclear war, and it is that mindset that I feel I cannot relate to that well. What was it like living during that time? Was there really that pervading fear that I have read about, or is that a certain amount of exaggeration?

There is and isn't a certain amount of exaggeration regarding the fear you speak of. Allow me to explain that somewhat confusing statement. According to the history I was taught in school, the fear you speak of was prevalent from the early 1950s, when the Soviets were first manufacturing nuclear weapons, until about 1962. The Cuban Missile Crisis in 1962 was probably the closest we ever came to a nuclear war. I remember a few years ago reading an interview with Castro where he stated that if the US had invaded Cuba that he would not have hesitated to use nuclear weapons against the US. I think after the crisis the fear started to subside. I was born in 1966, and while I remember the civil defense drills during my childhood, I don't remember anyone truly being afraid.

Really, the only time in my life that I remember being in fear of a nuclear war was during the collapse of the Soviet Union. I remember the reports of tanks in the streets of Moscow and being afraid that some hardline communist general would get a twitchy finger and order a launch to keep the communist government in power for a little longer.

Of course now we have the threat of nuclear terrorism, if not from traditional nuclear weapons then at least from so called dirty bombs. So the fear is still there somewhat, but its not an all pervading fear.

Posted by: Padraic Aug 18 2004, 06:41 AM
I am much obliged to you for the insight. I often hear people of my age group talk about the "good old days" of the cold war and I am at times at something of a loss in those conversations because what I know is from reading and their experience is first hand and based on personal memory. Someone will mention the Soviet Union falling and I will respond with something vague like, "I'll never forget that day", when in truth I do not remember that day, not having been around when it happened. That is what I like about this group of people here. I feel that I can ask you all questions that will help me blend in easier without you thinking I am completely out of my wits. If I were to approach someone who does not know my background, but who can see my receding hairline and developing paunch, (not in the shape I was in when I arrived) and ask him to tell me about the Gulf War or the downfall of the Soviets, he will think I have an extremely poor memory or I am not quite right in the head. If I then try to explain why I have no memory of those events, he will really think my wits have deserted me. So once again, thank you for the answers and the insights into this era. I asked a couple questions along those lines on the other board, but they pertty much got looked over in favor of all the questions folks kept asking me. It felt rather one sided at times.

Padraic

Posted by: DadOf5 Aug 18 2004, 07:37 AM
You're quite welcome, Padraic.

I can't remember if you said already exactly what your age group is, but from your description I can only guess that its around the same as mine. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask. If I don't have the chance to address them, I'm sure that someone else will.

Posted by: cerial Aug 18 2004, 08:04 AM
á chara

The main question I have about Ireland is regarding the famine of the 1840s. I have done some reading about it and it seems to stick out as a major landmark event in the history of the Irish people. How well is it still remembered? Are there stories of it still passed down? Does the memory of it have much of an effect on attitudes about the English? I am curious, since the stories of it, for obvious reasons, were not to be heard during my childhood.

the famine is still remembered here, we are taught much about it in school but the main way it is handed down is thru song. there are quite a few sculptures arround the country also, some remarkably touching. as for attitudes towards our neighbours .. personally i don't mind the english .. but i've lived in england for a year so i got to see "real" english ppl ! its quite funny these days, Dublin is the main destination for english stag and hen nights.

i heard a funny converstaion during the Euro 2004 soccer comp that i think fits .. England were jus knocked out and there was a call-in show on .. a man from Tipperary rang in and the host asked him if he was supporting England since Ireland had been knocked out .. "ah no" was the reply .. and the host asked again .. "would you ever support england".. "no no .. sure i couldn't be doing that" .. so the hosted asked "hypotetically .. what team would england need to play for you support them" .. and he replyed " i supose if they were playing Kilkenny i'd give them a wee bit of a shout"

on the whole .. i think there is still a lot of mistrust felt by a lot of irish .. 400 years of oppression are hard to forget in some ppls minds ! its not so bad where i'm from .. Kildare (i was born in Donegal tho but moved here years ago).. i'm jus outside the pale you see ! but if you head west and south attitudes are much diferent .. i suppose those areas had it much worse back then !

Do you have any opinions or insights about the situation in Ulster?

i'll go into this in more detail next time i post .. there is much to tell on this .. but i will say it has got so much better than it was .. there is still much disquiet up there but ppl now are gettting sick of the violence and want an end of it .

anyways till the next time

slán go fóil

b

Posted by: Padraic Aug 18 2004, 08:30 AM
Thank you for your response. That is much the way I have read the situation myself, that folks grow up learning of the famine and the importance it played. When I was growing up it was Cromwell we would be hearing of, and what a right devil he was. It appears to have permanently altered the landscape in America as well, judging from the number of Irish living over here now whose families came during that time. There were a few leaving when my family left, but nowhere near the numbers of the 1840s. It is a sad statement of our people that often times leaving was necessary to survive. I also met a few who left in '98 and '99 after the rising failed. It brought me low to hear of it, and the tales they told could bring chills. You would know better than I how being Irish has its own unique mixture of extreme joy and extreme sadness, often times at the same time and difficult to distinguish from one another. It sounds that things are better now, but that there are still some difficulties. I look forward to seeing your other comments.

Padraic

Posted by: Padraic Aug 18 2004, 08:35 AM

QUOTE(DadOf5 @ Aug 18 2004, 09:37 AM)
You're quite welcome, Padraic.

I can't remember if you said already exactly what your age group is, but from your description I can only guess that its around the same as mine. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask. If I don't have the chance to address them, I'm sure that someone else will.

Let me do the math. I was born in 1782, left there in 1807, and have been here for ten years. That would make me 25 when I left, but now 35 with the ten years I have spent here. It would appear that you have aged more than me, although I was born quite a few years before you. That is an interesting dichotomy.

Posted by: Frog186 Aug 21 2004, 01:17 PM
Padraic
Hi I'm Frog I just wanted to ask you two questions and welcome to the forum by the way it is always nice to see new time travelers here also I am a cool and relaxed person so whatever you tell me I will keep it low profiled or private here are my questions:

1. What kind of war were you fighting for also what kind of timeline was yours like?

2. Do you think your family and generals are still trying to find you since you time traveled?

thanks for listening and thanks for your time and patience and thanks for taking some sparetime in answering these two questions! I will try and not be a pest all of the time to you well talk with you later!

Posted by: Padraic Aug 22 2004, 06:05 PM
Hello there,

I am back from my trip to Wisconsin and Minnesota, and it would appear that the fish have suffered no ill effects due to my having been there, but it was still a good trip. It was nice to get away.

At the time of the incident, we were not officially at war. The English had suspected some of their sailors of deserting and joining up with us. There were some of them on our ship. They stopped us and demanded we submit to a search. Our captain refused and they fired into us. We were not adequately cleared for action and could only fire one gun in reply. I had served in the Barbary War four years earlier, but in 1807 we were not currently at war. PM me if you would like the details of the engagement. I posted a more detailed account on the other board that some here are already familiar with, but I would be happy to answer any questions you may have about it.

I do not think anyone back then is looking for me. A few years ago, while searching some microfilm archives of historical documents, I found a copy of a muster list from my ship shortly after that incident and they had me listed as "discharged dead". I find that somewhat odd, since I obviously did not leave a body behind. Perhaps they could not find me and thought I had been thrown overboard during the action. That happened sometimes when people were killed in action.

I hope those answers are satisfactory. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Regards,

Padraic

Posted by: sosuemetoo Aug 22 2004, 06:09 PM

QUOTE(Padraic @ Aug 22 2004, 07:05 PM)
PM me if you would like the details of the engagement.

Padriac,
Welcome back from your trip. I think it would be better if you posted your details of the engagement. That way all of the forum can read and respond with questions.

"Mom"

Posted by: Grayson Aug 22 2004, 06:40 PM
I agree, it establishes some context for your new readers Patrick.

Just leave out the guff regarding the Corronades on the quarterdeck.

Posted by: Padraic Aug 23 2004, 07:58 AM
Perhaps I do owe the readers here another account, given the presence of some members here who did not read the account on the other board. I will leave out any little inside jokes regarding placement of certain guns and simply stick to the main details. It was June of 1807 and there had been a hard blow a few days prior that had caused some French ships to run for the Chesapeake Bay for shelter. The British got word that the French were sheltering there, so they had a squadron standing off and on outside the bay to possibly intercept the French were they to come out. Some of the British sailors managed to desert from their ships and some of them joined up with different American ships, US Navy and merchant vessels. My ship, the Chesapeake, was just preparing to sail to the Mediterranean to be the flagship for a squadron on station there and our Captain Barron was to be the commodore of that squadron. Some of those deserters from the British ended up on our ship, and we were right glad to have them, since skilled seamen were always a welcome addition to any crew. They seemed glad to serve with us since the food was better and the discipline not as severe.

We embarked on June 22, 1807 with some important people on board, passengers we were to be taking to the Med. We sailed before we had everything properly stowed away, so as not to miss the tide, and our decks were all ahoo. Personal baggage was lying about among other provisions that had not been struck down into the hold. Normally, that would be taken care of before making sail, but it was not the case this time. The British got word that some of their deserters might be aboard us, and after we were clear of the bay and out to sea, HMS Leopard followed us, passed ahead of us, and waited for us to run down to them. They signalled us to heave to and sent an officer over to us with an order that we submit our ship to a search for deserters. Captain Barron refused, the British officer was rowed back to the Leopard, and then they opened fire on us. As their officer's boat was going back over, we were ordered to clear for action, as the Leopard had her ports opened and some of her guns run out already, but our ship was in no way prepared for an engagement and we had trouble clearing everything out of the way just to get at the guns. They fired a number of broadsides into us and we could not return fire. Someone managed to fire one gun in reply, but we could not answer adequately and we eventually struck. Some of us had managed to get one of the 18 pounders clear and were in the process of loading the gun and preparing to fire when a ball from one of Leopard's broadsides (I believe her fourth) hit the hull close to the gun, killing two men near me and wounding me with a splinter that hit be in the head and knocked me senseless for a while.

Reports vary about the number we lost, but it appears to have been four dead and about eighteen wounded. The British came aboard after we struck our colors and took some men back to their ship, then let us go. We returned to Norfolk and the wounded, myself included were taken ashore upon our return. There was some sort of an infirmary set up, mostly some cots in a large room, and I was there to recover. I am not sure how long I was there because I had a most terrible headache and I kept drifting in and out. It was there that two men claiming to be from the Navy Department questioned me about the action before I fell asleep. When I awoke, I was in Northside Park in Norfolk and it was 1994. How it happened is beyond my comprehension. The rest has been discussed here already, but I will be happy to answer any other questions you may have.

Respectfully,

Padraic

Posted by: hdrkid Aug 23 2004, 02:22 PM
Hi Padraic:

Glad to see you are posting in this forum.

My question is this.

How feasible is it for the early 1800's to absorb several million 2004 Americans?

I am sure that a small number could easily be absorbed into the small towns of rural America circa 1800, but I do not know how the government of that time would react to a large influx of their "children" from the future.

No doubt certain items like medicines and vehicles would cause quite a stir, but would the people of the early 1800's allow such a thing?

Or would they send their children back to good ol' 2004/2005?

A friend of mine (who also has an HDR) told me that he wanted us both to go to Great Falls, Montanta where there is a huge vortex. Steven Gibbs claims that Mike Mezerkowitz, dont know the spelling was able to effect physical travel to the 1800's from this spot.

I already have a list of items that I would like to take with me.

Posted by: Padraic Aug 23 2004, 05:27 PM
If I were to go back to that time, I would take nothing of this modern world with me. I would not show up with all manner of 21st century devices and amaze the people. I would try to blend in, find some gainful employment, and try not to alter the history too much. Some people then did not handle rapid change as well as people do now, so I would not go introducing every kind of new thing under the sun. I was shocked at much of what I saw here when I arrived, so I can only imagine how they people then would react to anything you would show up with, but you must remember that you would be in their world and playing by their rules would be advisable. That is all I would advise to anyone with the notion of traveling to another time. Try to blend and stay out of the way of history as much as you can. As to the numbers of people, there were already immigrants coming even in that day, perhaps not to that degree, but they were arriving. The government would no doubt accept the arrival of several new people as well as any other wave of immigrants, but things would not be too easy for those people at the start. If the numbers were too large, it would possibly create other problems that I am not qualified to address. Are you contemplating something drastic?

Posted by: Hackimer, Rob Aug 24 2004, 03:10 PM
I know two people that would take that trip HDR Kid. If we pop that vortex I'll go. And nothing, I'll bring nothing. I would only want to go naked. Then I could arrive in a crouch and a ball of lightening and be all "I'm Back" a la schwartzenegger.
hee hee. looopo.

Posted by: Grayson Aug 24 2004, 03:17 PM

QUOTE(Hackimer @ Rob,Aug 24 2004, 09:10 PM)
I know two people that would take that trip HDR Kid. If we pop that vortex I'll go. And nothing, I'll bring nothing. I would only want to go naked. Then I could arrive in a crouch and a ball of lightening and be all "I'm Back" a la schwartzenegger.
hee hee. looopo.

The thought of you naked really beggars my imagination. Brrrrr!

Posted by: tellthetruthplease Aug 24 2004, 05:40 PM
The very thought of you all believing this guy is insane. It's incredibly false and anyone can research a certain time period with today's technology and information. It is always fun to dream, but make sure it doesn't turn into a lie. God is watching every man at all times. That is all.

Posted by: Hackimer, Rob Aug 24 2004, 06:11 PM
Welcome telly - please understand you are not dealing with a bunch of fools and you are reacting to a situation you are obviously not familiar with nor accustomed to. This forum is about entertaining the possibilities. Also please be ware that although it may seem in certain posts that there are individuals that may be blindly following (and I'm going to give up one of our secrets) it is a ruse to bring comfort to the hoaxer. We entertain the possibility of truth in a comfortable and relaxed environment so that in the event there were an actual traveller that wanted to post or needed help we hope they might feel comfortable enough to join us here. While we enjoy healthy skepticism, many of our members will also entertain a well designed hoax for the sheer creative entertainment. IMHO, your criticism is not welcome because you haven't RTFT. :)
Welcome aboard however, and take note - be nice and consider what you post here if you intend to continue to do so. This ain't your big brother's forum.

Posted by: Padraic Aug 24 2004, 09:40 PM
My thanks to the Jester for his kind words, and to Grayson for his most eloquent post I had the pleasure of reading. I do agree with you all about the spirit of the forum and I am starting to see the enthusiasm with the idea that mankind will someday develop (if he has not already) the ability to deliberately travel through time. I use the word "deliberately" to differentiate between such travelers and people like me who were simply in the wrong place at the wrong time. (or the right place at the right time, depending on how you choose to look at it)

My impression is this. There are some here who choose to believe me and some, like our new friend here, who obviously do not. There also appear to be some who, while choosing not to believe me, are treating me with a respectful cordiality that is most admirable. That speaks of a certain strength of character among you all.

To our new friend, may I say this. Yes, God is watching us all. I have believed that all my life and as you will no doubt gather from reading some other places on this forum, there are many here who either do not believe that or who have notions of God that vary drastically from my own. I do not know what your notion of God is, but I will tell you that I am a Christian, and a rather conservative one at that. Whether you choose to believe my tale or not is no concern of mine, but might I also remind you that our Lord Himself taught often through parables that, although not being true stories in terms of having happened, still contained timeless truth that we can still hold to today. I am not through my example saying that my story is a mere parable that I dreamed up from my own imagination and a wee bit of historical research, but I am saying that if you have something of an open mind and a desire to read a little farther beyond the mere facts of my story, you will find some truth there as well. What you choose to do with what you see there is up to you. I believe that is how some here have chosen to read my story, and if they choose to treat me with a polite skepticism, that is fine with me. I can only ask for a pleasant reception. To ask for everyone to believe me would be too much to ask, given the extremely unbelievable nature of my story. That is all for now.

Good night everyone,

Padraic

Posted by: TheHeggy Aug 24 2004, 10:34 PM

...but might I also remind you that our Lord Himself taught often through parables...

This made me remember a book that was semi-similar to what Padraic may or may not be experiencing, depending on what side of the fence you're on.

I believe the name of the book was "The Comedy of J.O.B" or something like that. The story is sort of hard to explain, but essentially God moves the main character through several alternate universes in order to teach him....Something.

He travels through this alternate realities not understanding why or how it's happening, just that it IS happening.... The book in it's entirety has little to do with Padraic's situation, but certain aspects of the book seem very similar.

Here's a link to the book on Amazon.com. Spend less. Smile more.

Posted by: CaryP Aug 25 2004, 01:41 AM

Welcome telly - please understand you are not dealing with a bunch of fools

Words from the official jester while wearing a jester hat, and fresh from the killing of a duck in NYC. Damn right "we're" not a bunch of fools. Got to love the Hack.

tellthetruthplease, be careful about coming on too strong and insulting everybody here, podnah. No, not everyone here believes the story of Mr. "I woke up in 1994 from 1807". Just because he is being shown some respect or cordiality doesn't mean he's got anyone, much less all of us, kneeling and worshiping at the alter of his story. Your points are noted. Just don't go looking for a fight around here unless you're into a major ass whupin'. God watches those too - probably with some amusement for those that went looking for one. We cool bucko? Let's hope so.

Cary

Posted by: Padraic Aug 25 2004, 06:08 AM
I've not read that book, but it does sound mildly intriguing in the least. I may have to make a trip down to the library. Thank you for the information.

Posted by: Padraic Aug 25 2004, 06:27 AM
Perhaps I should pose a question to the group here. If you were in my shoes, (Those who are want to indulge in skepticism may want to set it aside for the sake of the example here. You can pick it up again when we're done.) what would you do? Would you tell the story to anyone at all, or would you keep quiet because nobody is likely to believe you anyway? I'm curious how many of you would have told the story to anyone and how many would have kept it to yourselves. It was a decision I struggled with for quite some time and one I still question at times, especially on the other board when I would have private messages from several people at once and I would feel duty bound to answer each one as thoroughly as possible. What would you have done?

Padraic

Posted by: Satan Aug 25 2004, 08:30 AM

what would you do?

1) Get ready for the barrage of questions by carefully going over my facts. Possibly even writing them down.
2) Have proof of everything I claimed. Regardless of what many tt'ers say, there is proof to support every tale. Have photocopies and scans of proof readily available.
3) In my first post I'd drop all the proof in the lap of the forum. I'd upload all images, scans and copies first with my post.
4) Set guidelines. If I don't recall certain aspects, tell that in advance. If I can't tell certain aspects, tell that in advance. If I don't know certain aspects, tell that it in advance.
5) Be prepared for skepticism. One claiming to be something preternatural should expect a strong resistance from the general public or in the case of the forum, a defined group of individuals.
6) Regardless of the anticipated reaction to the answer, always answer truthfully. Many times supposed time travelers elaborate and embellish too much, this is what subjects them to "back pedaling".
7) Stay on the "friendly" not on the defensive NOR the offensive. Do not insult the group of natives by insulting their way of life nor their persons. Once you open the door for this type of conversation, expect it to reciprocate back to you from them.
8) Offer up analysis of your person to the full extent. Secrecy only adds skepticism. Be open for examination on both the personal level and the "story" level. Frequently contacting people via either face to face or telephone conversations adds to your credibility as it shows you are more of a real person and not a contrived character.
9) Talk in chat or IRC. This adds credibility due to the ad hoc nature of question and answer sessions. Your delay in answering a question, is an answer in itself.
10) Consider your critics to be your friends and not someone on the "other side of the fence". It is easy to follow what anyone says, it is the critics that need the proof. Once you have, for the most part, sufficed their appetites for proof, you will have proved your case completely.
11) Don't dodge questions. Never answer a question with a question. This only admits to the guilt of a not-so-well laid out storyline by a hoaxer. If you find a question offensive or unanswerable, simply answer in a polite tone of not knowing, etc. However, too many "not knowings" will get you not-believed quickly.
12) Post often and as frequently as possible. The pattern of your posts tells alot about who you are and add a bit of insight to the readers. If you are prompt to answer questions, people will respect you more than say if you have to "take a day" to answer a few simple questions. This also takes away from credibility as it can be a sign of rearranging the storyline.
13) Never shun a question. Simply ignoring a question answers the question in itself. Answer all questions and, if you are afraid that you may have overlooked a question or two, ask if you have. Do not pick and choose the questions you will answer.

The above 13 guidelines is what I would follow if something extraordinary happened to me and I wanted to post about it.

User is offlineProfile CardPM Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Snow Fire Watches post Oct 6 2004, 09:12 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Continued:

Posted by: Padraic Aug 25 2004, 09:59 AM
That is a most thorough and much appreciated answer. Perhaps I should have worded my question a bit better to start with. What I was asking was not really how you would post but whether or not you would even bother to in the first place. If you had such an experience, would you subject yourself to the scrutiny? I can see that there is some measure of proof for any story, but it still comes down to a certain measure of faith as well. We believe that some ancient fellows existed based on the evidence of writings from that period or a period shortly after, while we have no way of knowing empirically if those writings are true accounts or works of fiction that were not identified as such. We evaluate the documents, see if they agree after a fashion with other evidence from archaelogy, and then we pass a judgment whether or not we believe the account. There is a certain element of faith present there, with the amount of faith required proportional to the amount and quality of the evidence present. There are characters in the Bible who for years were not believed to be mentioned anywhere else in the historical record, and whose existence was doubted somewhat, who were later "discovered" in other sources, thus lending more evidence to the account and decreasing the amount of faith required by the reader to believe said person actually walked the earth in some bygone day. Some of the more "miraculous" accounts require more faith on the part of the reader for their not being documented elsewhere outside of scripture.

I venture to say that a similar test applies to your alleged tt. Someone coming intentionally from a future time would have an easier time proving his story, since he could arrive armed with some precise predictions, some items that do not exist yet in our time, and other sorts of evidences that would be difficult to disprove. Someone from the past, on the other hand, has a more daunting task ahead of him. People will and have brought up the objection that anyone could look up information about a past time and weave a convincing tale. Any items the person brings with him can be tendered as physical proof, but they will not have an appearance of having aged greatly, thus the skeptic can offer the claim that said item could have been recently manufactured. I had only the clothes on my back, but those same clothing items are still being made by folks who provide clothing to re-enactor groups and the like. Someone could easily claim that I could have bought those items from one of those groups. If the story is completely accurate historically, people will claim those details could have been looked up, while if it differs they will claim the story is false because some details were wrong. Then again, the multiple timeline people will only claim that minor discrepancies in details only offer more proof for their theory. I have modern dental records that show an incredible amount of tooth decay that had to be repaired after I arrived here. I had fillings put in over half my teeth and had to have one tooth extracted. I am still being treated for gum disease from large buildup of plaque under the gums, causing some separation of the gum from the tooth. (I waited a while before seeing a dentist.) I do not know how much proof that would constitute, because no doubt some modern people have neglected their dental care to the same degree and have similar problems.

I guess what I am saying is that after the story is told and the "evidence" offered, it comes down to faith and a decision on the part of the readers of the story to choose whether or not to believe it and how to treat the teller of the story. As I have stated many times already, I have been treated as well by those who do not believe me as I have by those who do believe me. That in itself speaks highly of you all here. I have endeavored to be polite here in the belief that I will be treated with the same respect I offer others, and so far that has proven true. I waited years to tell my story, out of a fear of the way I would be treated, but my experience here has not been unpleasant. I thank you all for that.

Respectfully,

Padraic

Posted by: Satan Aug 25 2004, 11:40 AM
I have noted the points of your reply that I believe to be the focals below:

If you had such an experience, would you subject yourself to the scrutiny?

Someone from the past, on the other hand, has a more daunting task ahead of him.

I guess what I am saying is that after the story is told and the "evidence" offered, it comes down to faith and a decision on the part of the readers of the story to choose whether or not to believe it and how to treat the teller of the story.

I will address each separately.

As to the first "Would I subject myself to the scrutiny?". The answer is yes I would and yes I have. Did I follow my own rules? I tried my best. And in the end things worked out. For those who are wondering what I am talking about, I am refering to the "Peragro" evidence incident. For those who are not briefed and since the other board is down the quick and skinny is that I was volunteered to keep evidence for a supposed tt. I came under major fire. I posted said evidence once I got it. I answered questions regarding conversations between he and I. I passed the info on to more qualified individuals for further analysis. So I have walked and been broken in the shoes of which you speak. Not pleasant, but I put myself, somewhat, in that place.

As to the second point, of it being harder to prove you are from the past than if you were from the future. I disagree. I think that with a social security number and/or drivers license and/or birth certificate and/or papers required in most countries to claim citizenship or right to work, I could definitively prove from whence you came. You have to have these to work. I would like to add the question, while we are on the topic, where/when/how did you get your clearance papers to work (depending on which country you are located in)? If left without these, a serious analysis would yield a truth or false answer as to your when-abouts and more importantly, the character that you are building or really are.

For the third point, about faith. Many tt'ers claim this point when they are at an end of proof. This however, need not be so. It is one thing to claim faith in the context of religion. It is another to claim faith in your word. However, you have tried to tie the two together. Which cannot be done. The analogy you use is:
if faith then God AND
if faith them me THERFORE
the result (you push) is if God then me.
However, this relationship doesn't work because by it's own merit I can prove Unicorns exist by:
if space equal infinity AND
if infinity in everything AND
if everything contains anything AND
if unicorn is anything THEREFORE
If space then unicorn.
I took the long approach but you see the similarities. Appealing to one's faith on a religious level is begging the question of affirmation in oneself. I do not believe that one can be justified merely by the basis of since you can not prove that x was a deity in a religion so since you believe in him you should have faith in me. They are entirely different. To have faith in another person is to be assured that they will, do or act in a manner that is predictable. To have faith in a deity is to believe in its existence without proof. The former requires proof whereas the latter is a feeling gained. So, as to time travelers expecting people to take leaps of faith, as you somewhat put it, I sincerely hope that we have a culture here in this forum that discourages this. Faith in a person should only be granted after time and observation.

You(General not Specific) ask what proof can I give to prove that I am a time traveler? I suggest you (General not Specific) ask is what can I do to prove that I am a real person and not a derived character spawned of imagination and joy at deceiving?

Posted by: Padraic Aug 25 2004, 12:54 PM
You have many valid points there. I have not been around long enough to be familiar with the other incident you speak of, so please excuse my ignorance on that point. I will address a couple of your other points here, but not at great length for I have an appointment I must leave for shortly.

Regarding my use of the word "faith", perhaps there is another word that better describes the point I was trying to make. There is faith in the religious sense, like the faith some people have in God or whatever other deity they choose to worship, and there is faith in the very normal sense, like the faith you have that something you read about or hear of it actually true. Much of ancient history falls under this category, at least the way I look at it, but I am by no means an historian. There are events that we are told happened, and some of them offer scant evidence as to their happening. Some are documented better than others and in some cases there are conflicting stories circulating regarding what actually happened. Homer's accounts of the Trojan War would fall under this category, since Homer, being a poet, was known to embellish somewhat. There is no evidence for some of what he said happened, so there is the very real possibility that some of what he said is mere fancy. Here I go rambling again. What I mean to say is that I did not mean to use the word "faith" in the sense that you hear people speak of having "blind faith" or an assent to something with absolutely no evidence to back it up, but merely faith in the everyday sense. It is, after all, the choice of the individual to weigh the evidence put forth and form an opinion. Human beings being the fallible creatures they are, will interpret things differently and form different opinions based on the same evidence. Those opinions are more often than not shaped by some pre-conceived notions of reality that each person holds and which tend to form the way we believe about certain things. I have plenty to say about that, so perhaps another post this evening will be in order.

Yes, one cannot hold employment, or do much of anything for that matter, without proper identification. The people who took me in helped me do that by first obtaining a birth certificate for me claiming me as their son. No doubt the document was forged, but I am no expert in those matters, so I am not sure how the forgery was done. It is a simple document with some signatures on it, a date and time of birth, and a raised seal on it, so no doubt a document someone with the requisite skills could easily forge. This was used to obtain a social security card and, once I had learned, a driving permit. I started working shortly after, and I have a fairly steady work history dating back to late 1994, starting out with unskilled work in a shopping mall during the Christmas shopping season and some temporary assignments. I am not going to give out my social security number, not that I fear the scrutiny, but because I have heard too many stories about the dangers of giving that out.

You appear to be a fairly sharp fellow and you pointed out a logical error in my previous post, which sometimes may happen when I find myself typing on the fly without stopping to think about what I am saying. Your unicorn analogy is most fitting. For the inconsistencies I must apologize, but if we go too far in that direction I fear I will be sadly out of my depth, for my education is limited at best and I do not always express myself in as complete a manner as I wish. Please pardon my inadequacies in that area. I am better with hands on things. Manual work makes more sense to me than some of the mental gymnastics you seem capable of. My hat is off to you, sir.

Now I must be off. I will be back later this afternoon.

Regards,

Padraic

Posted by: Satan Aug 25 2004, 01:09 PM
And your response to me, just now, iterates why, as an answer to a question you posed earlier, you are welcome here regardless of the validity of your claim. You are a very polite person. I have witnessed this time and again. So regardless of what you are claiming to be you are welcome to be a part of our community.

Posted by: KiraSjon Aug 25 2004, 01:57 PM

QUOTE(Satan @ Aug 25 2004, 09:30 AM)
what would you do?

The above 13 guidelines is what I would follow if something extraordinary happened to me and I wanted to post about it.

leave it to our Satan to write the (un)lucky "13"

Posted by: Hackimer, Rob Aug 25 2004, 04:13 PM
MONKEYTWINS and the power of the unlucky 13 (*pounces on Kiras back and they ride out of the room together!!!!)

Posted by: CaryP Aug 25 2004, 05:15 PM
Okay Padraic,

'Bougt time me and you and a little "come to Jesus" on your story.

You claim:

that you were a US sailor injured in a naval battle in 1807

then you woke up on a park bench in 1994

you were then taken in by some kind stangers

these kind strangers got you some fake id so you could work

these same strangers helped you with your language skills in the modern day

you proceeded to go to work in one of the most regulated industries in the US (the securities industry)

you claim to have obtained a Series 6 license through the NASD

you're working for Primerica as a Reg. Rep. or "financial analyst" in your words

you used the fake id to obtain this license

Okay, here's the "come to Jesus" part. The process of obtaining a license from the NASD requires a history of education, home addresses for 10 years, and fingerprint cards that are run through the FBI. You claim to have the current equivalent of a high school education, but the background of a sailor from 1807. Did your fake id have at least a high school education attached to it?

I find it hard to believe that a man from 1807 with no background in current day financial products, rules and regulations, vague history of financial markets etc. could have wrapped his brain around the concepts to pass a Series 6 test. I have a staff member here with a high school education, very bright and it took her 3 times to finally pass this test.

How did you come up with verifiable addresses for the last 10 years? Did you just start your job this month? You intimated that you had been in your current position for at least a while. How did you get past that?

You have to be fingerprinted with at least a few copies sent to the NASD for processing through the FBI, and copies maintained at your broker/dealer. Did your fake id have no record of finger prints anywhere? Even at birth finger prints are made of infants for years now. My 26 yr. old was fingerprinted in the delivery room. This was not a new procedure at the time. Is there a real set of finger prints for your fake id floating around somewhere? Did your kind strangers have any idea that you may need to be finger printed in your current position? I'll bet they had no clue if you are who you say you are.

Are you aware that the NASD will have a major problem with you if you have obtained a securities license under a false identity? Did you know that you will probably face "barred for life" if you are found out to have done so? Not to mention fines for you and your broker/dealer. Regulators would probably go through every transaction you've ever initiated for clients from day one to put a major bug up the butt of your broker/dealer for failure to adequately check out your background. The regulatory environment today does not suffer fools at all. They are looking to make examples of those who violate the rules in any way possible. I know, I have a broker/dealer myself. I have about 6 or 7 NASD licenses. Three of them are principle licenses.

Do you think if you're hoaxing here, that the NASD might take a dim view of a Reg. Rep. posing as a time traveler on a public BBS? Do you think your broker/dealer would approve?

Your language here is affected at best. You attempt to sound like you came from 1807 with some modern day language thrown in. But it all sounds affected. I don't think the average sailor from 1807 would have had the language skills you seem to posess even with modern day language practice. You would have dumped the old ways of speaking and adopted modern day "speak" exclusively. You'd still have smatterings of whatever accent you had from 1807, which would be hard to explain if you were supposed to be American all your life.

If you prefer manual labor as you mentioned in your last reply to Satan, why didn't you get trained in modern day carpentry, or auto mechanics or something physical, rather than wade into the complex world of finance? No finger print cards or background checks in those occupations. You would have had a much easier time of transitioning into something you say you prefer. I can't imagine it's for the money. Series 6 reps are at the bottom of the food chain earnings wise in this business. You need a series 7 (full blown Reg. Rep. rather than limited to mutual funds) to make the big money in this industry, unless you're scamming people left and right with churning. Again, the NASD is a bomb waiting to go off if you're participating in this illegal practice. A good Series 7 Reg. Rep. would also have to have a good background on financial instruments, tax laws, and regulatory laws well in excess of a Series 6 license. A good carpentar, auto mechanic, plumber, electrician, etc. can make good money if they ply their trade well. Hell, some of my better clients are entrepreneurs in these fields. They make good money, save well and don't need big lifestyles. Save the keyboard for how low maintenance you are. I've read about you canning vegatables and all.

So here's the rub. If you are who you say you are, you've got a time bomb called the NASD waiting to blow up on you any day. If you're hoaxing, you've got a time bomb called the NASD waiting to blow up on you any day.

If you're a hoax and want to hang around, nobody's gonna fault you. It was a good story, and the ladies dug your style. But I suggest you come clean now. Perpetuating the hoax will bring you no friends down the road. If you are who you say you are, run like hell away from here. Did you know govt. agencies read these boards regularly? They can find you if they want to. All they need to do is show up with a warrant for your personal info. and you're dead meat.

So which is it? Is it real, or is it Memorex?

Told you to tread lightly. You're in the box now Paddy. Don't even think of playing the victim now, how you're being attacked because of how you bravely put yourself out there and this is what you get. You made the statements about your current position. I didn't make you, and no one else here did either. If you're lying about the Series 6 and Primerica, your whole story is suspect. I don't think you would have pulled that out of your butt anyway, if you're for real. Too complicated. I suspect you're some mutual fund peddler up in Ohio looking for some laughs. The laughs are all up now, podnah. You've been polite and respectful. That's why you're getting this opportunity.

Get real or get going. The choice is up to you.

Go ahead. Make me wrong. I'd just love it.

Cary

Posted by: Satan Aug 25 2004, 05:31 PM
Excellent form Cary! Very direct, insightful, observant and polite. You have raised the bar for the model community member. I look forward to the response from Padraic.

EDIT: Padraic's Admittance:

I owe you all an apology and an explanation. What happened was not the result of two beer swilling pranksters having a bit of a laugh at your expense. It was mostly the result of a man with a wife working second shift who got bored waiting for her to get home in the evening. I had been reading these forums for a while, seeing how lame some of the hoaxes were, and finally my ego got the best of me and I said, "I can do better than these people." I told my brother one evening when he came over what I was doing and he wisely advised me against it. He said that I should either come clean right away or just stop posting. I had too much of an ego to follow his advice. He is younger than me and I have never been used to him giving advice. In some ways he is wiser than me. I told him that I could do it, that I could do better than those others and he told me that I would be gone before September. By then he had gone on the forum and read a bit and he told me that there were some smart people who would see the holes in the story. That is when he made the bet with me that I would be sunk before the end of the month.

There were some elements of truth in the story. I did have an ancestor who served on that ship. He was killed in 1813 when she was beaten by HMS Shannon and left behind a wife and son in Norfolk. I am descended from him, but I am not him. We don't know much about his life other than the fact that he was in the Navy, so I took the liberty of filling in the gaps as best as I could figure. I think Grayson had me figured out pretty early because my nautical knowledge is not as exhaustive as a sailor of that era would have possessed. I tip my hat to him.

So it comes down to this. It was a fun ride for a while, but it was a ride I should not have had at your expense and for that I apologize. To the admins of the board, I offer my sincere apologies, to Ralan and the others who believed me I am sorry for getting your hopes up and then for dashing them back down again. To Satan, I am sorry for using your board in such a way for my own petty enjoyment. Now that gives whole new meaning to "giving the Devil his due." I am old enough to have known better. The persona I had created was something of a composite of two people who actually existed, a 19th century sailor I am descended from, and a 21st century financial services rep who has too much of an interest in the past. I am the latter, and sometimes dream of being the former.

I need to be going now. My wife will be waking up soon and it is my morning to cook breakfast. I hope you all will accept my apologies and find it in your hearts to forgive my immature attempt at deception.

Sincerely,

Padraic