The Time Travel Forum - Site Project

The Time Travel Forum
Go Back The Time Travel Forum > Site News & Discussion > News
Reload this Page Site Project
User Name
User Name
Remember Me?
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Chat Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2004 #1
Grayson
FutureDrama Tourguide

Send a message via Yahoo to Grayson
Given the embarrassing amount of money that S'tan keeps pumping into this place, I was thinking of ways in which to contribute, apart from Legacy funding that is.

I have an opportunity to write a book for submission to BBC Books, based on the Doctor Who series. The payment for this is $25,443.00 USD for the finished book, or 15 Grand in English Pounds Sterling. As a Taxpayer I will forfeit 40% in Income Tax and 10% to National Insurance contributions, leaving $12,721.50 USD. I have no option but to pay the Taxes as I am currently earning a wage and will soon earn a Taxable Pension.

If there are a small number of Members who are prepared to act as Proof-readers, critics and generally be argumentative about the final product, I am prepared to donate $2, 271.50 USD to this board and keep $10,000.00 USD, or about 6 Grand, English Pounds Sterling for my work. I will do all the leg work and require only that a few Members act as Critics, for which guidance will be given.

It would be a partnership project that requires only that people read what I put out for criticism and respond to agreed deadlines. These people must also accept that no payment will be given to them, the Board will be the only other beneficiary.

Aside from the money, I will also list the Board and URL in my Prefaced note of thanks. These books potentially reach an audience of half a million or so, which would be dynamite publicity.

Well, if you wanna do it, I need about 8 bodies and I already have a private space here to post backgrounds to the Who Universe, the Second Dr's history and character, my synopsis, chapters as they are written, space for critical analysis and an area for the submission guidlines so people have a benchmark to provide criticisms against.

The security for guarantee of payment is in the TTF.net hosting the work here, the Admin's ans Members involved have access to the original threads where this agreement is made and access to the developing tale. So, should the book appear and this place doesn't get paid, you have our development agreement here in writing. This may seem an unnecessary statement, but it easy to get ripped off on these collaborative projects and I want it clearly understood that my intent is good here.

The concept is to devlop 3-5 books in an Arc of tales under the Intercession header of Tale #1. If BBC books like the first book and invite you to produce further works, the price paid per book goes up to potentially $50-80,000.00 USD per book dependant on your individual sales achieved. Further projects will attract more and larger contributions to the Board if you wish to continue partnering.

But, lets see if we can do one first.

What do I get? I get to head insanity off at the pass, oh! and some money as well. Let me be honest, I will take the Lion's share for this and any assistance is voluntary and on the understanding that the Board benefits from the work done. I will pull my weight and produce the submissable document for approval by BBC books, including a sample Chapter of 5,000 words and a full Chapter synopsis and plot guide. It's the only way I can see of contributing significantly to this place with enough money to do all that we wish.

Any Member interested in being involved, please post here telling me why you would like to be involved and what time and skills you can bring to the project. Think carefully before you commit to this in a rush of heady excitement, writing is a grind and if the project proposal wins through, we will be working to a publication deadline. If we/I fail to meet that deadline, then I will be barred from writing for the BBC again. There will be no vote as to who is involved, I choose who I want for whatever reasons I feel are right and there will be no debate.

If all that is understood, please feel free to reply.

EDIT: Test #1 for anyone interested in this project: Spot the typo's in this post.

Today's wisdom: Mom says: "Don't play with your Balls in the House..."

([][][][][][][:])(========================+

Grayson is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004 #2
John
Administrator

For what it is worth, I will grant any member who volunteers for this project "Legacy" status for your involvement. Grayson, if you need any assistance, please let me know.
<a href="http://www.timetravelarchive.com">The Time Travel Library</a>&nbsp;<br></td></tr></table>
John is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004 #3
karizma

Hi Grayson,

I would love to help you out in any way possible. As far as my qualifications are concerned I haven't had any "actual" experience as a proof reader, but I will be completely honest and exceptionally persistent when it comes to story content and flow. As soon as I finish helping with dinner I will be back on to complete Test #1.

Karizma

user posted image
karizma is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004 #4
TheHeggy
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to TheHeggy Send a message via MSN to TheHeggy Send a message via Yahoo to TheHeggy
I would love to help as well.
Old 09-19-2004 #5
CaryP
Ragin' Cajun Moderator

Grayson,

First of all the UK tax structure sucks. I forgot your maximum income tax rate is still 90%. You've got to be kidding, you're going to pay 50% of income on $25k. Man, that's just got to bite. Sorry for the rant. I thought US taxes were bad.

Second, I'm interested in helping you, but I have two concerns.

1) Does a potential proof reader have to be familiar with the Dr. Who series to have much contribution value? I'm vaguely familiar with the story, so if a proof reader has to be familiar with the story line, I'm out.

2) Do you have an estimate of the amount of time involved? I can always make time for a worthwhile project, but I do have a lot of irons in the fire at all times. I don't want to make a commitment that gets my ass in a crack with you or my other commitments. If we're talking about a couple of hours per week maximum, I'm available. If we're talking 10+ hours per week consistently, I'm way out.

As to your typos (that's the first one "typo's" is spelled "typos"). Here's a quick list I came up with.

"S'tan" should be spelled out as Satan.

"leg work" should be one word "legwork."

"wanna" should be "want to"

"guidlines" is spelled "guidelines"

"Admin's ans Members" should probably be "Administrators and members"

"devlop" is spelled "develop"

"I get to head insanity off at the pass, oh! and some money as well." Exclamation points should not be used in the middle of a sentence. Should read "I get to head insanity off at the pass. Oh! And I get some money as well." or "I get to head insanity off at the pass. Oh, and I get some money as well!"

"produce the submissable document for approval by BBC books" "submissable" is not a word (at least in the US), even though I understood what you meant. The phrase should read more like "produce a document ready for submission and approval by BBC books."

I didn't know if all references to Taxes should have been capitalized. It isn't in the U.S., but wasn't sure about the U.K.

"English Pounds Sterling" Isn't it "British pounds sterling?" The Welsh, Scots and UK citizens in northern Ireland might not appreciate being left out. Currency names are not capitalized.

Anyway, my British pal, glad to help if I qualify. And, my "feelings" won't be hurt if I don't qualify or you take a pass.

Cary

"Those who think a picture is worth a thousand words don't read enough."
A. Burns

"It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to paint it." Steven Wright, comedian.
CaryP is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004 #6
Grayson
FutureDrama Tourguide

Quote:
Originally posted by CaryP@Sep 19 2004, 09:11 AM
Grayson,

First of all the UK tax structure sucks. I forgot your maximum income tax rate is still 90%. You've got to be kidding, you're going to pay 50% of income on $25k. Man, that's just got to bite. Sorry for the rant. I thought US taxes were bad.

Second, I'm interested in helping you, but I have two concerns.

1) Does a potential proof reader have to be familiar with the Dr. Who series to have much contribution value? I'm vaguely familiar with the story, so if a proof reader has to be familiar with the story line, I'm out.

2) Do you have an estimate of the amount of time involved? I can always make time for a worthwhile project, but I do have a lot of irons in the fire at all times. I don't want to make a commitment that gets my ass in a crack with you or my other commitments. If we're talking about a couple of hours per week maximum, I'm available. If we're talking 10+ hours per week consistently, I'm way out.

Cary
[snapback]9795[/snapback]

Income tax is a base 23% for earnings under £42,000 pa and is paid in tandem with a 10% National Insurance premium. This is collected on your pay cycle and is deducted at source by your employer. Earnings over £42,000 pay 40% base tax and the obligatory 10% NI contributions. We pay 17.5% VAT on everything we buy as well, except fuel which has a 4,000% tax on it and is equivelant to about $8.00 USD a gallon.

But to answers your Q's; I will provide a large amount of Dr Who info to give evryone a baseline of knowledge, so no.

Q2: I expect that some weeks will require a half hour or so, some weeks none at all and don't think I can see a time when 10 hours a weeks would be required if we share the work. I might be looking to ask one individual to act as a copy editor, which may take more time as we get closer to the end of the project. That was a long way of saying, "I don't know really. It's the first time I've done this on a message Board". :D

So don't hate me if this project consumes your souls and leaves withered husks of humanity dotting the Globe, spent from hours of work, forging the Empire of Time under the dominion of SATAN. This is wrong, I know it. SATAN, ya gotta change yer name Man!

Old 09-19-2004 #7
Ralan

Send a message via MSN to Ralan
Quote:
"I get to head insanity off at the pass, oh! and some money as well."

Actually, I believe that the use of an exclamation mark as a word effect rather than a punctuative symbol is a Shakespearian technique and valid in British grammar.

An adult who had never seen crayons before might see them and be amused by something which is colorful, but not messy like paint, and buy them in case he wanted to draw a picture. He might buy them as a gift for a child. He might mistake them for candy and buy a box to snack.
Ralan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004 #8
Grayson
FutureDrama Tourguide

No more takers?

I got Cary, Karizma, Heggy and SFW so far.

Looks like we're it guys.

Old 09-20-2004 #9
StarLord

As I have possibly read more than a few thousand sci-fi books, I would be more than happy to help you in the critique / direction arena if you need something in that avenue my friend.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger.

Attention! Time Nitwits and Chrono Clowns will be served twice a day. See your server and advise as to wether you prefer to be served Rare or Well Done.
StarLord is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004 #10
John
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by StarLord@Sep 20 2004, 12:16 PM
As I have possibly read more than a few thousand sci-fi books, I would be more than happy to help you in the critique / direction arena if you need something in that avenue my friend.
[snapback]9909[/snapback]

Thanks bro.
<a href="http://www.timetravelarchive.com">The Time Travel Library</a>&nbsp;<br></td></tr></table>
John is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004 #11
Grayson
FutureDrama Tourguide

Starlord: Thanks man.