Chronovisor [TimeTravelForum.net] Time Travel Institute on Sale Now?

sosuemetoo

1702473977515.png

The Time Travel Forum - Time Travel Institute on Sale Now?

The Time Travel Forum
Go Back The Time Travel Forum > Site News & Discussion > News
Reload this Page Time Travel Institute on Sale Now?
User Name
User Name
Remember Me?
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Chat Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2004 #1
sosuemetoo
Resident Mom Moderator

Send a message via AIM to sosuemetoo
I was surfing some of the usual links tonight and came upon this:

Link:

__________________________________________________ _________________
There's no point beating around the bush here. TTI eats up a lot of my free time. It's difficult to manage all these discussions on the forum. I appreciate all the hard work Roel has done moderating this forum, but I am seriously considering selling the web site to someone who would be interested in continuing its operation. So, the question is:

Would you be interested in buying the web site where John Titor was born?
Yes, I would be interested, but I wouldn't pay more than $1,000
Yes, I would be interested, but I wouldn't pay more than $2,000
Yes, I would be interested, but I wouldn't pay more than $5,000
Yes, I would be interested, and I would be willing to pay more than $5,000
Hell no!

View the results for this poll

The sale of the site would include all associated domain names (timetravelinstitute.com, .net and .org), all static content, and the message boards. Statistics are available for anyone to see at the bottom of the page by clicking on the counter.

This poll is non-binding. I'm just looking to see if there is any interest. Should there be sufficient interest, I will take further action.

Respectfully,
Raul Burriel
Time Travel Institute[/CODE]
__________________________________________________ _______________
Old 09-17-2004 #2
Phoenix
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Phoenix
Very interesting Susan.

I do have a question though. Why is it a member conducting the poll and not an Admin?
Phoenix is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004 #3
CaryP
Ragin' Cajun Moderator

Satan's kicking their sorry ass, and they're running for cover. Go Satan!!! The competition lays at his feet. WOOT!!

Cary

"Those who think a picture is worth a thousand words don't read enough."
A. Burns

"It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to paint it." Steven Wright, comedian.
CaryP is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004 #4
Grayson
FutureDrama Tourguide

Send a message via Yahoo to Grayson
Curious?

Today's wisdom: Mom says: "Don't play with your Balls in the House..."

([][][][][][][:])(========================+

Grayson is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004 #5
sosuemetoo
Resident Mom Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Phoenix@Sep 17 2004, 01:19 AM
Very interesting Susan.

I do have a question though. Why is it a member conducting the poll and not an Admin?
[snapback]9559[/snapback]

Phoenix,

I caught that last night and wondered the same thing.

Roel van Houten is the actual owner of that forum. However, sometime back (April or May?) Roel made Raul Burriel the "MOP" (not sure what that means), a title that Roel once held. Roel has not posted since that time, to my knowlege.

Further, when I first saw this, I was absolutely "giddy" with excitement. I thought, wouldn't it be crazy if "we" as members of this forum were able to purchase this site and merge it somehow? Rally the members to donate for the cause! Imagine being the owners of the "first JT site"? Imagine the traffic it would bring in, especially in the coming year (JT debates, etc).

After a good night's sleep, things always look different in the morning, right? TTI is a very different forum.

- The layout is totally different, much like anomalies, frustrating to find an old thread.

-Members have never been encouraged to quit starting the same threads over and over.

-The member "rules" are non-existent - posts that would make a sailor blush. Raul, the "MOP" is the only one with admin powers, there are no mods.

-The membership is very different, I'm not even sure what the total number of members is. Or the number of members that actually have posted in the last few months. The membership is very "impersonal," members don't really get to "know" on another "IMO"

-IMO, the forum needs a shot in the arm - the number of posts have dropped over the summer (because of ttf.net )

If (a very great big IF) we somehow managed to do this, many things would have to be changed, worked on, weeded out to make it a site that would thrive once more. Then, many things would have to remain the same for it to keep it's "identity." We (Satan,admins, mods, legacy, elders, members) have rallied to make board the "beauty" that it is today in a short period of time. Could we do it with TTI? I really don't know.

"Mom"
Old 09-17-2004 #6
CaryP
Ragin' Cajun Moderator

Why would we want to "buy" a site that needs such an overall as to make almost another site? Sounds like the membership there is used to things the way they are. Go and change it up drastically, and you'd lose a lot of them IMO. Why waste the time, money, effort, etc. when this site is outstanding? I'd rather focus resources here. So what if the "original JT" site is up for sale. JT ain't exactly there anymore. Besides, I thought the very first board that JT posted on is no longer in existance. Whatever you want to do Mom, but I'm focusing here.

Cary

A. Burns

Old 09-17-2004 #7
sosuemetoo
Resident Mom Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by CaryP@Sep 17 2004, 07:56 AM
Why would we want to "buy" a site that needs such an overall as to make almost another site?

Yes, that's the way I felt after a "good night's sleep." How in the world could we help them keep their identity without us losing ours. I'm not sure it could be done.

Quote:
So what if the "original JT" site is up for sale. JT ain't exactly there anymore.

True, but my original thought last night was the fact that it is touted as the first JT site, and it would bring in additional traffic and prestige to our site. Do we want either one?

Quote:
Besides, I thought the very first board that JT posted on is no longer in existance.

That would be Art Bells P2P , which is closed down and archived in anomolies. Perhaps someone on here can tell me why it is called the first JT site? I thought JT actually posted on TTI.

"Mom"
Old 09-17-2004 #8
Phoenix
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Phoenix
As the Pirate King I kind of like the take over aspect even with all of the work and trouble it would involve. I think I will hold for Satan's wise leadership in this matter though.

Advantages I do see in owning TTI, especially with Admin control, is the possibility of having the "raw evidence." IP addresses, e-mail addresses, some of the first posts. I am not sure how much of that would still be there and how much would have been carelessly lost.

As to reforms of their board, if we do end up having it, I think we ought to alow such reforms to be democratically approved by their membership base. I also think retaining the separate identity of our board here should be a priority too, such as the differences and standards that Susan has outlined, also the noble ends that Satan has enumerated in his aspirations topic.
Phoenix is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004 #9
StarLord

Having anything to do with that site would be the kiss of death. We have survived a egotistical child from the other site that has taken his ball and gone home. We left there because things were not being done the right way and folks hard work went for naught.

Things are very different here where the populace has a say in what goes on and we are starting to see important growths in other interests and avenues other than some story line. A connection with that other place would only stunt our growth and force us deeper into the soil that we have been striving to Grow Out Of.

Buying a used car promises the fact that you are buying some one elses' obvious blemishes, pecadillos and hidden problems.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger.

Attention! Time Nitwits and Chrono Clowns will be served twice a day. See your server and advise as to wether you prefer to be served Rare or Well Done.
StarLord is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004 #10
John
Administrator

In the interest of the site I registered and spoke with the Webmaster of Time Travel Institute. Currently he is entertaining a five figure offer for his site. I don't think that site is worth that much.

I agree with some of your sentiments about it being a great site. However, I also agree with CaryP, Starlord and the others who think that we can make this site better using the funds that we would spend on getting that site.

Just as a "what if" let us assume that we raised 15K. Imagine the advertising and expansion we could do on what we have established. Our culture is borne from one which needs democracy whereas that one is not. Our culture is built on community beyond the center of topic (Time Travel). Though Time Travel brings our guests here to register, it is our atmosphere that does keep them. We should and will expand into different avenues, as Phoenix has mentioned, but we should establish the foundation as we did here rather than build on that which was there.

We are the number 1 site for Time Travel related topics, in my opinion. Though others may have been around longer, I think we do it better. We promote open growth and communication. We don't suppress nor ignore any member or their insights. Each is considered an equal. This is what we radiate. This is what sets us apart. This is what makes us great and second to none.

I intend on getting the word out of our existence. This is what I am doing with the advertising budget. It is not that people don't come here because they do not want to be apart of this great community. It is because they do not know of it. I intend to change this. I will do my best to make us known in every circle where time travel or community is discussed. Together we can out do and shine amidst all the other time travel communities as the best time travel community.

Even though the Institute is up for sale, I don't think making a five figure expenditure on purchasing it is in our best interest. We can invest much less and have much more in this site or perhaps another site of our choosing.
<a href="http://www.timetravelarchive.com">The Time Travel Library</a>&nbsp;<br></td></tr></table>
John is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004 #11
CaryP
Ragin' Cajun Moderator

Satan, the voice of sanity (boy does that sound weird).

Five figures for a broken down anarchistic site, huh? They're awful proud of that thing. A total waste of time, money and effort. Let 'em die the slow death it sounds like they're suffering. Lots of luck to the sucker who buys it, or do you think the owner was bluffing to see if you'd bite? I can't imagine someone shelling out that kind of money. To have that much money for a broken down board, you'd have to have more sense than to actually buy it.

StarLord, you and I keep coming up on the same side of the coin, my brother, and that's a good thing.

Cary

A. Burns

Old 09-17-2004 #12
Snow Fire Watches
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by CaryP@Sep 17 2004, 11:32 AM
Satan, the voice of sanity (boy does that sound weird).

Five figures for a broken down anarchistic site, huh? They're awful proud of that thing. A total waste of time, money and effort. Let 'em die the slow death it sounds like they're suffering. Lots of luck to the sucker who buys it, or do you think the owner was bluffing to see if you'd bite? I can't imagine someone shelling out that kind of money. To have that much money for a broken down board, you'd have to have more sense than to actually buy it.

StarLord, you and I keep coming up on the same side of the coin, my brother, and that's a good thing.

Cary
[snapback]9620[/snapback]

Hmmm - for some reason I thought I wouldn't be able to post in this thread or I would have already. I agree we don't need it!

What I do think we need is our own repository of the material from the undebunked Time Travelers. I know we have links etc - but sites go down, as we know and material is lost. I think we need to start archiving text of John Titor, Alex, Maxwell (lost already I think) Peragro, BBBoris (gone as well&#33 to preserve it for ourselves and take no chance on losing it.

For Alex and Peragro I have a good but incomplete start. But if I lose my hard drive AGAIN - well then it will be gone forever unless someone else has it copied too.

SFW
Snow Fire Watches is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004 #13
John
Administrator

SFW,
If you would be willing to lead this project (pick a team, develop the website and gather the info), I will set up the ftp directory and area here on the webserver for you to build the archive.
<a href="http://www.timetravelarchive.com">The Time Travel Library</a>&nbsp;<br></td></tr></table>
Old 09-17-2004 #14
Snow Fire Watches
Banned

HEHE! Scared me off already! Develope a website? I think I will need Heggy or someone like him. I am willing to work on this but it already just got bigger than I imagined it!

I'm thinking of like a little library of all their (the TT's) words that we can find - including PM's and emails donated by others of the ones we have found credible and/or interesting.

So I guess I'm taking volunteers - First I need a webmaster!

Thanks Satan -

SFW
Old 09-17-2004 #15
StarLord

I agree Cary. Is it "Great Minds Think Alike" or "Fools Seldom Differ" ?

Matters not to me which way, always good to be on your side of the coin Bro >:D<

Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards for they are subtle and quick to anger.

Attention! Time Nitwits and Chrono Clowns will be served twice a day. See your server and advise as to wether you prefer to be served Rare or Well Done.
StarLord is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004 #16
sosuemetoo
Resident Mom Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Satan@Sep 17 2004, 12:07 PM
In the interest of the site I registered and spoke with the Webmaster of Time Travel Institute. Currently he is entertaining a five figure offer for his site. I don't think that site is worth that much.

I think I can say this freely....OMG you've got to be kidding me! I was looking at the poll on their site and the majority said they'd pay $1,000 or under. I was thinking in the $300 - $500 range, but what do I know?

I appreciate you contacting the Webmaster, Satan. But, that amount is totally inflated and out of the question.

Quote:
I agree with some of your sentiments about it being a great site.

Well, it's more like "it used to be a great site." I thought with our help we could make it a great one again. It's one and only claim to fame, IMO, was it was JT's first site. In the coming year or more, it could be a very important site. Perhaps this is why he is asking for a five figure sum.

Quote:
Our culture is borne from one which needs democracy whereas that one is not. Our culture is built on community beyond the center of topic (Time Travel). Though Time Travel brings our guests here to register, it is our atmosphere that does keep them.

Yes it is, and after much thought, we would be forcing democracy and community down that site's "throat" that might not appreciate it. After an investment like that, the membership would probably run away, and we'd having nothing but original JT threads for our effort.

Quote:
I intend on getting the word out of our existence. This is what I am doing with the advertising budget. It is not that people don't come here because they do not want to be apart of this great community. It is because they do not know of it. I intend to change this.

Yes, our sense of family/community is what will bring people after we get our name out more. Not the fact that we have old JT threads from TTI. I guess last night, "mom" was thinking about "saving" an old community that was about to "drown" With that amount of money being asked and the headaches involved, it's better just to let them sink.

I wish TTI luck in their future endeavors.

"Mom"

Note: I just looked at their poll. 15 people have voted. 9 say that they would pay less than $1000 for the site, 4 have said "hell no" (I'm guessing that means that they wouldn't pay a dime for the site) , 1 said no more than $2,000 , 1 said more than $5,000. Guess the guy with more than $5,000 should jump at the chance.
Old 09-17-2004 #17
John
Administrator

SFW you are set up. Your url will be timetravelforum.net/archive or archive.timetravelforum.net...either one will redirect you to your archive.
Old 09-17-2004 #18
GearBrains

SnowFireWatches- Let me know if I can be of service, I am tired of lurking in the shadows watching everyone else having fun-
Old 09-18-2004 #19
Snow Fire Watches
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Satan@Sep 17 2004, 02:53 PM
SFW you are set up. Your url will be timetravelforum.net/archive or archive.timetravelforum.net...either one will redirect you to your archive.
[snapback]9648[/snapback]

WooHoo Satan! Thanks - I have enlisted Heggy to help me and . . .

Quote:
GearBrains Posted Yesterday, 09:36 PM
SnowFireWatches- Let me know if I can be of service, I am tired of lurking in the shadows watching everyone else having fun

Gearbrains you dirty little lurker you! You have been missed, my friend, and your help will be welcomed. I'll PM you when I know what we are doing. Please come to chat sometime to discuss this and to catch up!

Everyone else: If you have personal material such as PM's and emails from our TT's that you would like to donate to the library, please PM them to me.

What I already have is all of Alexander's posts from ttf.tk but none of the member posts from his threads. I have all of Peragro's posts but none of the member posts in his thread. If any of you have it more completely we would like to have it.
We don't have Maxwell's, Chris', BBBoris. All of JT's material is several places online but we will archive that here too. Suggestions of any other TT's that should be included will be entertained - but be careful - you might end up with a job.

Thanks

SFW
Old 09-18-2004 #20
Ralan

Send a message via MSN to Ralan
Snow,

I have everything on my hoax, Urno Arnan Ralan. I also have several important posts by Boris and an analysis on him that I started a while ago but never finished, and my little study of Aima Tellia's language.
An adult who had never seen crayons before might see them and be amused by something which is colorful, but not messy like paint, and buy them in case he wanted to draw a picture. He might buy them as a gift for a child. He might mistake them for candy and buy a box to snack.
Ralan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004 #21
John
Administrator

SFW,
When you and your team are ready, let me know and I will add the link to the archive to the top links so all users will be able to get to it. Sounds like you are off to an excellent start. I am looking forward to how great I know you, Heggy, Ralan, Gear and whomever else you chose will make it.

I also added you and your team a forum under "Current Projects". You are the moderator for "The Time Travel Archive"
Old 09-18-2004 #22
Grayson
FutureDrama Tourguide

Send a message via Yahoo to Grayson
See S'tan, we just needed to achieve critical mass, then we explode into Atomic action. Now you gotta try and keep a lid on all this furious action... don't smile so smugly fella, it indicates a certain satisfaction and forknowledge that this was all to come. Only I knew that this was to be.

Today's wisdom: Mom says: "Don't play with your Balls in the House..."

([][][][][][][:])(========================+

Grayson is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004 #23
Hypocrates Netherlands

Hi Guy´s

wonder wy a dutch man makes an site in english. can´t find much info in dutch.
Hypocrates Netherlands is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004 #24
CaryP
Ragin' Cajun Moderator

Hypocrates Netherlands,

Welcome to the plantation, Dutchman. That would be a good nickname for you here (Dutchman). A good name in American culture (famous ship and famous gangster). Why don't you give us a little personal information in the Introduce Yourself thread in the Lounge forum. We'd all appreciate it. Looking forward to seeing more posts from you.

Cary

A. Burns