Titor Assumptions

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
Let's challenge our assumptions. I was encouraged to do so, so let's think outside the box.

First, why do we assume that Titor's grandfather was really on the plane that crashed in 1986?
(i.e. what if he never died. A gravestone proves nothing).

Second, why do we assume that Kay is really Titor's mother?

Can anyone think of more? (I will later. I have to run)

paradox404

I don't believe that Kay is johns mother, I think his mother may be someone else, or goes by another name. I think it is possible that "Kay" might even be a representative of Johns Actual family. If you think about it, people would be examining Kay and Larry and not even bother with anyone else. John probably knew this.

Another assumption I wonder is that did Titor really get here in a car? Wouldn't it get hot in the car? Cars have holes that let air in and out, mostly made of metal and glass, heat can get in. (Probably nothing, but the heat and the car has always got me.)

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
Good one. I think along the same lines. Is the space/time continuum cold? How would temperature be regulated?
This is what I mean about the story not necessarily being 100% true.

Another assumption:

Only one person posted for John

Earthmasque

Why assume that any of the story was true?

Titor claimed to carry two singularities in his Chevrolet, both "about" the size of an electron.

Since electrons in fact have no size at all, the only way this makes sense is to assume he meant the "classical" radius for an electron - that would be the radius within which one cannot place another electron.

If this size is close to correct, then the mass involved results in a weight of hundreds of thousands of tons.

Must've been some Chevy.

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
Why assume that any of the story was true?

Titor claimed to carry two singularities in his Chevrolet, both "about" the size of an electron.

Since electrons in fact have no size at all, the only way this makes sense is to assume he meant the "classical" radius for an electron - that would be the radius within which one cannot place another electron.

If this size is close to correct, then the mass involved results in a weight of hundreds of thousands of tons.

Must've been some Chevy.

I usually don't mention the black hole angle because the scientific community has popularized the concept of black holes as being real. So virtually everyone is convinced that black holes are indeed real. Except when you look at the facts. It's just a math equation on paper. And all the other forces of nature are totally ignored. Top that with we really don't know what gravity is yet. So the whole idea of black holes is basically pure assumption. There is no definite astronomical observation that definitively proves black holes exist. But there sure are lots of opinions from people willing to believe so. Believing something is real is totally different from something that is actually real.

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
In your case, that would be all the more reason not to "assume" that Titor was telling the truth.

Actually I just look at the whole story as just being a story. There are no verifiable facts in the story.

And I believe the real problem stems from the education system. We are taught to "believe" lots of things without verification. Take history for example. Can anyone actually verify what we are taught actually happened? Same thing goes for religion. We are conditioned to accept information without verification. In fact what about the constitution of the United States? Was it all just a propaganda ploy to pacify the masses? It certainly doesn't look like government adheres to the constitution. And it also doesn't look like Titor adhered to any real facts to support his story either. I just recently discovered that we have no actual proof that gravity bends light. Just opinion and hearsay. Yet it is a commonly held belief. Promulgated by the scientific community. So the Titor story isn't built on facts at all. Just beliefs. If the beliefs are false, then Titor's story is false too. Just be aware that Titor isn't the only one giving you misinformation. It's been going on throughout our lives.

paradox404

How do we know Titor mentioned everything about his machine? If your thinking about the mass of the singularities, it is even possible that the machine could have collapsed in onto itself. It is possible that the machine had some sort of antigravity device in it, but was heavy due to its own weight and the titor's on the other side. (Can't remember how he explained it but it was words to that effect.)

I'll might post some of my other questioned assumptions later.