Titor's Donut Shaped Singularity

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
I'm not an expert on black holes, but it seems to me that they needn't be small, at least not when they're first formed. Also, they don't even need to be dense at first, if there's enough matter. The escape velocity is determined by equating kinetic energy to gravitational energy and solving for velocity:

½mv² = GMm/r
½v² = GM/r
v = sqr(2GM/r)

Then assume the escape velocity is the speed of light:

v = c = sqr(2GM/r)

We can then find the Schwarzschild radius by solving for r:

r = 2GM/c²

Next assume that we have a giant, homogeneous sphere of density p. We can define it as:

p = M/V

where the volume V is defined as:

V = (4/3)*pi*r³

If we choose a value for p, we can then solve for the radius at which it forms an event horizon. This would be a sphere that just barely forms a black hole.

p = M / ((4/3)*pi*r³)
M = ½rc²/G
p = ½rc² / ((4/3)*G*pi*r³)
p = (3/8)c² / (G*pi*r²)
r² = (3/8)c² / (p*G*pi)
r = sqr((3/8)c² / (p*G*pi))

It comes out to a huge number, but it's not infinite for any nonzero density. It makes me wonder how much interstellar hydrogen, etc, is required for a black hole to spontaneously form.

*shrug* I'm bored. lol

All this math makes me realize what CERN could be doing -- creating artificial black holes via math. In other words, perhaps with math and physics we can create a singularity that doesn't suck us all into oblivion. But I really have no idea if that is possible or how to do it.

BTW, a sphere doesn't need to be giant to be dense, but you've already shown that above M/V -- mass doesn't indicate size.

Just thinking out loud again.
I was just rambling, as well. I do that sometimes. :D

At CERN, they'd most likely use relativistic mass increase which happens near light speed in order to create a black hole. The equation is:

m = m0 / sqr(1 - (v/c)²)

where m is the relativistic mass, m0 is the rest mass (which is constant), v is the velocity of the particle, and c is the speed of light.

The shape and size of the particle also change, but it should be possible to calculate the velocity at which it has the right mass and volume to form a black hole (I'd have to look up the other equations). This is because the mass approaches infinity as the particle velocity approaches the speed of light.

The problem they'd face after formation of a tiny black hole would be containment, and the likely solution would be to collide it with another black hole of equal mass.

This is all speculation though. ;)

In other words, Titor's concept of a microsingularity isn't impossible.

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
I really hope you`re right Martian, i always thought when 2 black holes collide they cant escape each others gravity, and so they merge to become one big black hole..OMG :eek: :D

If they use microscopic particles, they aren't going to be that much bigger when they collide. hehe

Martian

In other words, Titor's concept of a microsingularity isn't impossible.
That's a definite maybe. But just because something is possible doesn't mean it's practical. My simple calculations (which could be wrong) would require incredibly high energies which may not be realistically attainable.

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
That's a definite maybe. But just because something is possible doesn't mean it's practical. My simple calculations (which could be wrong) would require incredibly high energies which may not be realistically attainable.

...with current technology.
Good point.

How about 500 years? 1000 years? Maybe it would be possible, and if it is, then time travel exists now. Think about it. :)

wowbagger

Hello,

as I posted before, I only found out about Titor a few weeks ago. If I happen to post questions or theories, that have already been disproven or established, please forgive me (in that case: please post a link).

About the ring (or donut shaped) singularity. I wonder if maybe Titor confused metrics, when he talked about Kerr black holes. The things he explained would make much more sense, if he was talking about Kerr-Newman black holes with a rather low angular momentum.

-Magnetic housing would not work for uncharged objects such as Kerr black holes.

-Reissner–Nordström and Kerr-Newman black holes are supposed to be very unstable and instantly turn into Schwarzschild or Kerr black holes. It's assumed, that their electric charge would be neutralized almost at once because of the accretion of surrounding charges. That would perhaps make the electron injection so vital to Titor's time machine.

-Titor stated on Jan 15, 2001: "Adding electric charge to the singularities increases the diameter of the inner event horizons. Adding mass to the singularities increases the area of gravitational influence around the singularities. Rotating and positioning the polar axis of the singularities affects and alters the gravity sinusoid"

The condition for the event horizon of a Reissner–Nordström black hole is:

1 - 2M/r + Q²/r² = 0 (Coulomb force constant omitted).

That means there is an outer event horizon at

r_outside = M + sqr(M² - Q²)

as well as an inner event horizon (also called Cauchy-horizon) at

r_inside = M - sqr(M² - Q²)

(again the Coulomb force constant was omitted). As you can see, the diameter of the inner event horizon increases, when you add electric charge. However, at the same time the diameter of the outer event horizon would decrease. It's even thinkable to join the inner and outer event horizon, when the charge is equivalent to the mass. It's very interesting to think about what would happen, if you could increase the charge even more until the value inside the square-root was negative. The result of the square-root would become an imaginary number. Would the Cauchy-horizon be on the outside then or would the singularity even become naked?

Of course adding mass would increase the area of gravitational influence of any black hole, though as you can see from the formula, it would have influence on the inner event horizon as well. The adjustment of the event horizons and the gravitational field by adding mass and charge should be quite tricky but possible. Unfortunately afaik John Titor did not give any information about how he increases the mass of his black holes.

The Kerr-Newman metric converges to the Reissner–Nordström metric for far distances or low angular momentum. At infinite distance or without angular momentum the Kerr-Newman black hole becomes a Reissner-Nordström black hole. Since infinite distance is not given, Titor could use an angular momentum that is rather insignificant compared to the electric charge and he would be able to control the diameters of the event horizons by adding electric charge and he may also be able to position the rotation axis of the singularities. I don't have any idea, if that would allow him to affect and alter the gravity sinusoid, but the experiment would be very interesting.

Concluding: I think that Titor's time machine might be mathematically possible, but if you want to calculate it through, I'd politely suggest to take Reissner–Nordström and Kerr-Newman metrics into consideration.

Kind regards