Twitter to make job cuts after Elon Musk takeover

Mayhem

Zenith
Twitter says it will inform its staff on Friday about whether they will be laid off following the firm's takeover by Elon Musk.
In an internal email, the social media company said the cuts are "an effort to place Twitter on a healthy path".
The firm added that its offices would be temporarily closed and badge access would be suspended.
The multi-billionaire will be Twitter's chief executive after buying the firm last week in a $44bn (£39.3bn) deal.
"We will go through the difficult process of reducing our global workforce on Friday," Twitter said in the email.
"We recognise this will impact a number of individuals who have made valuable contributions to Twitter, but this action is unfortunately necessary to ensure the company's success moving forward," it added.

The company said office access would be immediately limited "to help ensure the safety of each employee as well as Twitter systems and customer data".
All staff are set to receive an email with the subject "Your Role at Twitter" by 09:00 Pacific time (16:00 GMT) on Friday.
Workers who are not affected will be notified through their company email, according to Twitter.
Meanwhile, those who are affected will be told of the "next steps" through their personal accounts.
"Given the nature of our distributed workforce and our desire to inform impacted individuals as quickly as possible, communications for this process will take place via email," Twitter said.

"Exodus of talent"​

There is speculation that as many as half of Twitter's 8,000 jobs are on the chopping block.

The platform struggles to make a profit. One way to fix the problem is by making a dent in the wage bill.
Simon Balmain, a senior community manager for Twitter in the UK, told the BBC that he believed he has been laid off, because he was logged out of his work laptop and Slack messaging programme.
"Everyone got an email saying that there was going to be a large reduction in headcount, and then around an hour later, folks started getting their laptops remotely wiped and access to Slack and Gmail revoked," he said.
"Most UK folks are probably asleep and don't know yet. I was working mostly LA (Los Angeles) hours because of the projects I was on, so was still awake when it happened."
Another Twitter worker said he was anxiously waiting for an email to arrive, confirming whether he still had a job.
He said he would probably stay up late to wait for the message.

"The exodus of talent from this layoff will reshape the whole technology industry as we know it. We're all looking out for each other and the outreach of love and support has been incredible to see," Mr Balmain said.
Bloomberg, citing unnamed sources, suggested some senior staff were asked to make lists of employees to be cut on their teams.
Cryptocurrency platform Binance invested in Twitter as part of Mr Musk's takeover. Earlier, Changpeng Zhao, its chief executive, said that "a slimmer workforce would make more sense".
Mr Zhao, who was speaking at the Web Summit in Lisbon, also criticised the platform for having been slow to roll out new features, given its level of staffing.

Pay to verify​

The cost-cutting follows criticism of Twitter's efforts to raise money by proposing to charge $8 (£7) a month for a "verified" blue check-mark.
In addition to the verification badge, those who pay could have their tweets promoted more widely and see fewer adverts.
Mr Musk has tweeted of his plan: "We need to pay the bills somehow."
Twitter has not made a profit in several years and its number of users has remained fairly static at about 300 million a month.
Many experts suggest that Mr Musk, the world's richest man, overpaid for the company, given current economic conditions and the depressed values of many tech stocks.
But Brandon Borrman, Twitter's former head of global communications, in a BBC interview, questioned how Twitter could justify asking people to pay in order to remain on an "equal playing field" with other users.
Mr Musk has high expectations
IMAGE SOURCE,MICHAEL GONZALEZ/GETTY IMAGES
Image caption,
Mr Musk has high expectations of employees
It is not clear how the cuts will affect the platform's operations. Mr Musk has a reputation for being ruthless when it comes to staff.
US media reports already speak of long hours spent by some staff to meet Mr Musk's demands in the aftermath of the takeover.
In May, Mr Musk said his work ethic expectations would be "extreme", but less than he demanded of himself.

Board axed​

As part of the takeover agreement, nine members of Twitter's board departed the company, leaving self-styled "Chief Twit" Mr Musk as the sole director.
The move was seen as cementing Mr Musk's control over the company.
Among those leaving were chairman Bret Taylor and chief executive Parag Agrawal.
Other senior figures have also posted about leaving, or are reported to have left, including chief financial officer Ned Segal.
As senior figures left, US media reported that a number of Mr Musk's allies joined Twitter.

BlastTyrant

Considering one of the first things they did was fact check the white house i have been greatly enjoying the meltdowns lol

And really 8 bucks a month isn't even a Starbucks coffee for most of these people.

Mayhem

Zenith

Twitter’s Australian staff were being locked out of their company accounts on Friday as billionaire Elon Musk’s job cuts hit the local office in Sydney, which employs about 40 people.

Musk told confidants he planned to eliminate half of Twitter’s workforce to slash costs at the social media platform he acquired for $US44 billion ($70 billion) last month.

Local staff in marketing and news curation were shut out of Twitter’s systems after receiving an email flagging lay-offs but without any official confirmation that their jobs were being axed. Others were waiting to see if they will still have a job come Monday.

Beholder

If Elon could just do the same to Meta, Google and Amazon that are too big, the market might be back to fair competition where new ideas can thrive instead of being bought out or ripped off. Google abused Linux to knock off IOS, instead of making a DPA poweruser experience with something different. Meta plagiarized or bought most new social networks, while trying to buy enough infrastructure to block all other websites from the internet. Amazon funded Indian bootleg companies and stole trade secrets in their own marketplace. Ending large social media platforms would truly be free speech by distributing the power of censorship.

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
If Elon could just do the same to Meta, Google and Amazon that are too big, the market might be back to fair competition where new ideas can thrive instead of being bought out or ripped off. Google abused Linux to knock off IOS, instead of making a DPA poweruser experience with something different. Meta plagiarized or bought most new social networks, while trying to buy enough infrastructure to block all other websites from the internet. Amazon funded Indian bootleg companies and stole trade secrets in their own marketplace. Ending large social media platforms would truly be free speech by distributing the power of censorship.

Just yesteday I tried using google to search for curent job numbers in US. Only to verify Biden's claim of adding 10,000,000 jobs to the market. Zero results for my search. Kind of odd, don't you think? Those numbers were freely available when Trump was president.

Beholder

Just yesteday I tried using google to search for curent job numbers in US. Only to verify Biden's claim of adding 10,000,000 jobs to the market. Zero results for my search. Kind of odd, don't you think? Those numbers were freely available when Trump was president.
If using the Swedish unemployment database and checking the "open for everyone" filter, indicating that they actively claim to follow the law by not discriminating, it's common to get zero results.

MODAT7

Try duckduckgo.com for searching. I got a bunch of hits and also found inflation numbers... just stay off the Liberal World Order web sites if you want real numbers.

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
I did that too. The same zero results. Even used Gibiru. Of course I live in California. The home of liberal lunatics.

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
California censorship gone too far? I didn't know they could censor duckduckgo.com.
About three years ago I did a search to find out how other search engines worked. It turns out they all use the same database. That database belongs to google. So if google removes access to its database, then other search engines are precensored before using it.