Usenet content?

SergiusPaulus

Does anyone still access the Usenet? I haven’t accessed newsgroups since early 2000’s. Are there Titor stories and stuff in newsgroups?

AI:
Usenet: Usenet is still operational and continues to host a wide variety of newsgroups on numerous topics. Access to Usenet typically requires a newsreader client and sometimes a subscription to a Usenet service provider.

I'm not familiar with this, but it's love to know more and explore it.

Old BBS were around before the internet. You'd access them using a 56k modem, over the phone line. There has to be some that are still running.

To bad I don't have a phone line anymore...

Do you have one?

NNTP and BBS's are different things. There isn't much in the way of discussions anymore on NNTP. :(

I'm not seeing a Titor specific newsgroup. He might have been discussed under another one. I doubt there's any new information considering web forums took over long ago.

Sorry a bit long. But #2 is Science newsgroup. Further down list is a newsgroup that discussed conspiracy theories. One thing about newsgroups is that you could share files, sometimes referred to as binaries. I wonder what content conspiracy had, under #5.
AI Response:
Usenet, one of the earliest forms of the online community, hosted a vast array of newsgroups covering numerous topics. Here are some of the well-known and popular Usenet newsgroups from its early days:

1. comp.* Hierarchy: Focused on computer-related topics.

- comp.lang.c: Discussions about the C programming language.

- comp.os.linux: Discussions related to the Linux operating system.

- comp.sys.mac: Discussions about Macintosh computers.

- comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware: Hardware issues related to IBM PC compatibles.

2. sci.* Hierarchy: Focused on scientific discussions.

- sci.math: Discussions about mathematics.

- sci.physics: Discussions about physics.

- sci.astro: Discussions about astronomy and astrophysics.

- sci.med: Discussions about medical topics.

3. rec.* Hierarchy: Focused on recreational activities and hobbies.

- rec.arts.movies: Discussions about movies.

- rec.music.classical: Discussions about classical music.

- rec.sport.football: Discussions about American football.

- rec.travel: Discussions about travel and destinations.

4. news.* Hierarchy: Focused on Usenet news and its administration.

- news.announce.newgroups: Announcements of new newsgroups.

- news.admin: Discussions about the administration of Usenet.

- news.groups: Proposals and discussions about creating new newsgroups.

5. alt.* Hierarchy: A more anarchic hierarchy with a wide range of topics, often created without the formal approval process.

- alt.tv.simpsons: Discussions about the TV show "The Simpsons."

- alt.fan.douglas-adams: Fans of Douglas Adams, author of "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy."

- alt.conspiracy: Discussions about conspiracy theories.

- alt.culture.usenet: Discussions about Usenet culture.

6. talk.* Hierarchy: Focused on discussions and debates about various topics.

- talk.politics.misc: General political discussions.

- talk.religion.misc: General religious discussions.

- talk.origins: Discussions about the origins of life and the universe, often involving debates between evolution and creationism.

7. misc.* Hierarchy: Miscellaneous topics not covered by other hierarchies.

- misc.kids: Discussions about parenting and children's issues.

- misc.jobs.misc: Discussions about job hunting and employment.

- misc.invest: Discussions about investing and personal finance.

These are just a few examples, but Usenet had thousands of newsgroups across various hierarchies and subjects. The hierarchical naming system helped users find groups related to their interests, fostering vibrant discussions and communities.

Partial List of USENET access services. Sorry for long reply. AI response.
(It puts a lot of spacing between lines of text. )

Giganews:

Known for high retention rates, fast speeds, and reliable service.

Offers encrypted connections and a newsreader called Mimo.

Newshosting:

Offers a bundled newsreader application and a free trial.

Known for high retention and unlimited speed plans.

UsenetServer:

Offers unlimited downloads, high retention rates, and SSL encryption.

Provides a free trial period for new users.

Easynews:

Unique for its web-based interface, allowing access without a separate newsreader.

Provides unlimited NNTP access and a large retention time.

TweakNews:

Based in the Netherlands and offers competitive pricing.

Provides high retention rates and unlimited speeds.

Eweka:

Another provider based in the Netherlands with high retention rates.

Offers various subscription plans and SSL encryption.

Astraweb:

Known for flexible pricing plans, including pay-by-download options.

Offers unlimited speed and high retention rates.

Supernews:

Operated by the same company as Giganews but offers more straightforward plans.

Known for reliability and high retention rates.

NewsDemon:

Provides competitive pricing, high retention rates, and SSL encryption.

Offers multiple payment options and a variety of subscription plans.

Thundernews:

Offers unlimited downloads, high retention, and SSL encryption.

Known for good customer service and reliability.

Usenet.Farm:
A smaller provider offering competitive pricing and multiple server locations.

Provides flexible pay-as-you-go plans.

I doubt any of the big telcos supply NNTP anymore. Waaaay back in the day, they were substandard and mediocre at best with constant problems they didn't care about. That's why the premium pay servers came along. Easynews is mainly binary oriented and going downhill fast. They used to be good but they can't get their act together anymore. Astraweb is middle of the road. Giganews and subsidiaries are more hype about what they can do and have a lot of complaints. Most "reviews" about premium servers are paid advertising and not really to be trusted.

For the most part, most people don't want to pay for premium servers just to do a public chat. Unless you really know what you're looking for, I doubt you'll find much in the way of Titor related topics.

Keep in mind that NNTP was born not too long after email and uses similar technology. It is essentially a giant email hub for group discussions. That's why you need a client to access it. Client quality is all over the place. Most client "reviews" are paid advertising.

Unless someone is specifically telling you that some data file is only available on NNTP and gives you information on how to find it, you're wasting your time. You're more likely to find exotic information in the depths of the dark web, and you're also more likely to catch a ransomware virus that way. NNTP is also infested with various viruses, so if you're not strong on network and local security, you're on the edge of a disaster.

Does anyone still access the Usenet? I haven’t accessed newsgroups since early 2000’s. Are there Titor stories and stuff in newsgroups?

AI:
Usenet: Usenet is still operational and continues to host a wide variety of newsgroups on numerous topics. Access to Usenet typically requires a newsreader client and sometimes a subscription to a Usenet service provider.

Wow, late 80's and 90's stuff I haven't heard about in such a long time. I was never too interested in it, but people would dial into BBS's that had access to usenet.