Was there ever really such a thing as magic?

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith
Was there ever really such a thing as magic?

Was there ever really such a thing as magic, or has it always been the name which we ascribe to things we don't understand?

It seems to me that Arthur C Clarke's "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" law of prediction is accurate... We've advanced far enough to where, at this point, there is nothing that cannot be explained by technology or science.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Re: Was there ever really such a thing as magic?

Even Criss Angel doesn't know what magic is. His pretty convincing though, but he's no wizard, he only has veeery good tricks.

I think that Arthur C Clarke was right about the statement he made. What would you consider as magic in 2009 ?

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith

I think it'd take some serious Hogwarts shit for me to really think something magic happened.

Num7

Administrator
Staff

Reptilian shapeshifters are not enought to convince you that magic exists lol
People who say they healed their cancer with positive energy and such ? I don't think it's magic, but what is it then, the human mind's power ?

Whitelight

I think the human mind has a lot of power over the body.

When I took psychology, my teacher asked if I ever woke up with scratches. I do wake up with fresh scratches after sleeping all night. She explained that our mind is so powerful, that when we are asleep, it has the ability to split the skin and have it react as if being scratched.

I wake up with bruises to. And now that I live with my boyfriend, he says I don't sleep walk (I did when I was younger).

gonzogirl

I too think that the mind has control over the body. My kids grandfather beat a rare agressive type of Lymphoma about three years ago because when the doc said "this is what to expect.." Jim said.."no, tell it to the wife, let her know what to expect, I will not be a a part of that" he went home and started to meditate everyday and then overload on the self help..positive thinking stuff. He also meditated on the fact that he grew up out on a farm and ate healthy and worked hard..I think it boosted his system. He worked throughout his Chemo/radiation treatment. Went to work everyday sick as hell. 3 months later his blood was clean. The doctor was astounded. I think in Jims mind..he couldnt die..He just couldnt.
Now, his lymphoma will probably return in a year or two, and he may not be able to do it again but even so he got five extra years and grand twins to enjoy. I dont know why some make it and some dont. Will? Luck Genes?

The word magic brought to me the word enchantment then the word chant.
In other words, I think that magic came from an early spiritual way of life and is engrained in us some way or another. Magic works on the one it is intended for but only if the intended one believes. Get ahold of someone weak and you can make them believe that a potion will make someone fall for the or kill their enemies. The same with so called "good" magic. It dont matter if its labeled good or bad, there is almost always an intended "victim".
So there is still a thing such as magic but it has always been corrupt. Not real. Smoke and mirrors type of deal. But it can work, even though not real.
So does that make it real? Some have that point of view.

Jeff

dude magic is for deamons its how they trick you ok

shane

The idea that magic/religion/shamanism and technology are separate is a somewhat modern idea. The religious organization was once on the forefront of technological innovation, as they were the ones with the time and money to devote to figuring out how things worked. At it's heart, religion like science is a process toward a logical understanding of universal mechanics based on underlying leap of faith.

So yeah, there's magic. It's science.

Keroscene

shane said:
The idea that magic/religion/shamanism and technology are separate is a somewhat modern idea. The religious organization was once on the forefront of technological innovation, as they were the ones with the time and money to devote to figuring out how things worked. At it's heart, religion like science is a process toward a logical understanding of universal mechanics based on underlying leap of faith.

So yeah, there's magic. It's science.

Science and Christianity are also both in pursuit of the truth, more or less. I feel that Christianity stresses that. I've always thought that advances in early science could be attributed to that moral they both share. I guess it's kind of inevitable there would be contradictions eventually.