Was Venus Like The Earth at Some Point in The Past?

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Do you think Venus was like the Earth in the distant past? How do you think Venus became the way it is right now? Super high temperatures, high pressure, and all.

I'm wondering if a very long time ago it was a planet on which life as we know it might have been possible.

What do you think?

NaturalPhilosopher

Law of one channeled material sure says it was. Claims that the venusians destroyed themselves that caused the problem the planet has with supporting life today. Says the same for Mars. Both apparently are the results of a galactic war going on. Evidence came to light recently that mars has Xenon525(I think that was the isotope) that is in Mars's atmsophere. It's a radioactive isotope that is only artificially created anywhere from a nuclear bomb going off. Makes ya go hmm. The amount of the isotope discovered suggests a worldwide mars nuclear apocalypse.

Last edited:

taykair

It is generally believed that Venus' current state is due to a runaway greenhouse effect. Because of Venus' nearness to the Sun (compared with Earth), carbon dioxide never got absorbed due to the higher temperature. Carbon dioxide is a greenhouse gas and traps heat, so this would lead to even higher temperatures, which would lead to even more carbon dioxide released from the surface rocks, and so on and so on.

Venus' atmosphere is now about 97% carbon dioxide. Most scientists believe that, at one point, there were oceans of liquid carbon dioxide on its surface, which would account for its present, thick carbon dioxide atmosphere. However, I have a different theory:

The remaining 3% of the Venusian atmosphere is mostly nitrogen. I believe that, long ago, this percentage was much higher. I think that, instead of carbon dioxide oceans, there was instead an abundance of vegetation (requiring higher levels of nitrogen) which absorbed oxygen and released carbon dioxide. Whether there were more advanced life forms, I have no idea.

By the way, I am not a scientist, so all of the above may be total BS.

taykair

Sorry. Like I said: No scientist here. I thought that carbon dioxide was a greenhouse gas. Sorry for the misinformation.

I think that, in future, I should limit my comments to those subjects that I actually know something about. (This would mean, of course, that I remain silent, but I can live with that.)

taykair

Sorry, folks. I just can't do it.

It was wrong of me to feign ignorance and say that I was sharing misinformation. Although it is technically incorrect to say that carbon dioxide "traps heat" rather than explaining it as the absorption and re-radiation of infrared rays, I did so as a kind of shorthand - not to mislead. (I also say things like "the sun rises in the east" even though I know that the sun does not go around the earth. Sue me.)

I'm usually able to deal with literalists in a much better way. Apologies.

Take care.

Peaceseeker

Do you think Venus was like the Earth in the distant past? How do you think Venus became the way it is right now? Super high temperatures, high pressure, and all.

I'm wondering if a very long time ago it was a planet on which life as we know it might have been possible.

What do you think?

i feel Venus was like Earth, it is so similar apparently in some ways (though its been a long time since i read upon it). A thought is that perhaps being closer to the Sun allowed for it to become much more sensitive to a huge shift into what it is now. I'm not sure it ever had life on it, yet i think it got close perhaps, to like lakes and such with microscopic life forms, in fact, as impossible as it seems, i sometimes wonder if microscopic life forms exist now, since there is so much we don't know about life still, though if any does, it would not be life forms as aware as Human's. (i'm probably wrong about life being there , if it is , it would be as i said, microscopic, much like life forms we find in the hot area's of our Ocean floors perhaps, yet in a form we just are not aware of yet perhaps? ) .

Anyhow, I do feel, though, it got close , yet that something happened, naturally due to it being so close to the Sun, that had an effect which caused it's environment to turn into what it is now. Although, i do wonder perhaps that , near the end of our Sun's life, if the sun gives off less heat, as it releases the last of it's energies, if perhaps, it will fix the Venus heating problem somehow, naturally, and therefore give a chance of lakes once more as the Solar system cools.

i could be totally wrong, just something my imagination came up with in reply to the question.

Very interesting question though ! :) and interesting replies as well. :) peace. :)

Kairos

Earth would otherwise be very cold because of our orbit, but the biosphere regulates the atmosphere, including the temperature. I suspect Venus is what it is because no life emerged there, so no biosphere to regulate the atmosphere. Had life evolved there like it did here (or was seeded there, I suppose), then I doubt Venus would be so inhospitable today.