Welcome to Paranormalis Version 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Welcome to the new Paranormalis, powered by XenForo. As I was able to migrate the site from vBulletin 4 to XenForo in less than a few hours, I decided to make it live tonight, and enjoy the place. I totaly like the current state of the forum, although it's just a default installation. I'm going to explain later why I'm not customizing the site yet. Let's go back in time...

As you all know, history repeats itself: Every new episode of Paranormalis starts with apologies from the administrator.

In the last 10 months, I tried to make Paranormalis a better place, a better site, because I thought I knew what it needed to become the best in its brand. After multiple efforts at tweaking vBulletin 4, enforcing forum rules, adding and removing site sections, I came to get uninterested tired and bored. I haven't been active on Paranormalis since mid August, but I didn't stop thinking about it though.

It seems that in the past 5 years, Brent, the previous owner, tried to make Paranormalis more than a forum. Long story short, he didn't succeed, and the community suffered greatly. Fast-forward to now, I'm still doing the same things as Brent did in 2005-2009. I didn't learn anything from his mistakes and it makes me feel dumb. Things are going to change...

Paranormalis is a community, built around its forum. We don't need article databases, powerful blog engines or customizable profiles. We need an awesome forum, with awesome content. No one succeeded in making this place something else than a forum-site. Time Travel Forum and the Paranormal Network were only forums, and it always worked best that way. This is where XenForo gets in.

What is XenForo ? It's what vBulletin 4 was supposed to be. Let me tell you a secret: vBulletin 4 sucks. I had great hopes, and worked an endless amount of hours to rebuild Paranormalis with it. What a mess. It was bloated, slow, buggy, and supported by a retarded company that doesn't care about its customers. It had tons of incomplete features they don't even care to update, and tons of anoying and unexplainable glitches for a product that's been Gold for almost a year. Good bye vB4, we won't miss you.

XenForo is a new forum software made by the guys who brought us the old vBulletin 3 products. XenForo is the best forum software I've ever used, ever. Yes, XenForo is a forum software. No CMS, no useless crap this time. We've got a wonderful forum engine that is easy and pleasant to use. It's fast, optimized, and beautiful. That's all we need guys!

Keep in mind that XenForo isn't mature yet, it's still in its beta phase. As they release new updates, and once they reach the Release Candidate phase, I will likely start working on the site's style to make it look like Paranormalis used to. In the meantime, we're going to stick with the default blue theme!

I'm going to post more content related to XenForo, to make everyone aware of what's going on.

I'm totally looking forward to the next months to see Paranormalis grow like it deserves to. We have everything we need to become a more united and active community. Let's make this place awesome!

Sincerely

--Numenorean7

ZeoEmeraude

Well, I for one like it. It's all shiny and new!

Num7

Administrator
Staff
I'm glad you like it Zeo :)

I'm going to post a reference guide showing most of XenForo's awesome features that we're not used to yet. Although it's a beta 1, there are many ground-breaking features you guys got to see and use!

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith
You may want to send a mass email to get this place hopping again! People think our site is still broken :p

Num7

Administrator
Staff
I'm glad you guys like it :)

I sent a mass email to recent active members yesterday, we should see some of them pretty soon!!

Grayson

Conspiracy Cafe
Freaked me out when I landed!

Not sure if it's Vb with a hint of Invision and a dose of BRIGHT layout or what?

Where're my sunglasses... LARFF!

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith
Freaked me out when I landed!

Not sure if it's Vb with a hint of Invision and a dose of BRIGHT layout or what?

Where're my sunglasses... LARFF!
LOL, xF is awesome.

It does have a dose of Invision, but it feels a lot less bloated and has a few shiny widgets to set it apart from everything else. I set up shop with it on my site and Numie decided it would work well here as well... Gotta say, I totally agree.

Good to see you around!

Status
Not open for further replies.