What doomsday scenario would you rather choose?

Octavusprime

I think a super volcano is a definite possibility. Yellowstone is overdue for a big blow out. It would block out the sun for a year or so. It would wipe out most of the worlds wildlife and most of the human population.

I often wonder why people don't think about the role oil plays in earths stability. I would think this massive reservoir of oil acts as a coolant for geo thermal magma and lubricator of techtonic plates. Are increased earthquakes and volcanos being nudged by our harvesting of this resource.

I believe we can replace our need for oil but can we replace billions of barrels of liquid that could have a real and significant effect on the way the earth keeps in balance?

Rosco..Jones

lol sorry opmmur, have been watching alot of the walking dead series lately... also the idea of a world filled with zombies is better than a world shattering event like say the movie of 2012, for me at least.. i think it would be far easier to remove the zombies than rebuild a nation,as zombies dont do to much damage to buildings compared with a megaquake, oh and my last name is almighty, and im a lord of scotland hense the name lol

I love it. Sometimes the puzzle pieces fit so perfectly, you just can't resist putting them together.
The dual meanings worked out in an interesting way. However, those not aware of how this screen name came about, may take it as being pretentious or disrespectful. People often choose their names from something that may only be meaningful to themselves. Some choose names that send a message. For many others, I have no clue as to how they came up with the name they chose. Your story on your name was interesting and I will now look at it differently when I see your posts. Thanks again for the story.

The "Rosco" in my name has to do with my last name, Ross. That's the Ross' that came from the SE coast of Scotland to Canada and ended up in the USA. I guess I a Scott too, though many times removed.

Rosco..Jones

I would choose Solar Flares knocking down the grid. The media propaganda would come to a halt. It could halt the plans of the New World Order agenda. The Sheeple would be forced to wake up, and go back to the old ways.

In any scenario, people would die, but in this one we'd have a chance to fix our world, and hopefully the corrupt government would be crippled.

That's my choice.

Way to go Sam! You chose something positive out all the possible disaster options.
Many lives would still be lost, but it would not be as bad as most of the other options.
I'd like to cast my vote with you.

TnWatchdog

I think a super volcano is a definite possibility. Yellowstone is overdue for a big blow out. It would block out the sun for a year or so. It would wipe out most of the worlds wildlife and most of the human population.

I often wonder why people don't think about the role oil plays in earths stability. I would think this massive reservoir of oil acts as a coolant for geo thermal magma and lubricator of techtonic plates. Are increased earthquakes and volcanos being nudged by our harvesting of this resource.

I believe we can replace our need for oil but can we replace billions of barrels of liquid that could have a real and significant effect on the way the earth keeps in balance?
I never thought of oil as you discussed. With the friction of the plates grinding, what better lubricator. You may have something. Mankind always seems to screw things up.

Rosco..Jones

I do not believe that 12/21/12 is the end of the world. My view is it is the beginning of a new phase of the human experience. One in which the spiritual moves to the fore. It will take 4 or 5 years for this change to become more evident.

As for disasters? Anything that could happen, may happen.
There are also things that we cannot even imagine be possible.
These may happen just as well.
Lucky us, we get to be a part of whatever happens to come about.

HDRKID

This is what it looks like after the catastrophe. People ask what to expect and I say pain. Empty houses and tall grass.

Wisdom_Seeker

Change must be embraced. When there is a doomsday event, which will inevitably happen, being loved all the while being prepared for survival may be the key to growing old. I like your enthusiasm but there is a fine line between optimism and naivety. Live as if you will die tomorrow, dream like you will live forever and plan for the worst. I'm not calling you naieve but not thinking about what could happen and not planning for worst case scenerios is.

I don''t know when shit will hit the fan but the history of earth proves that these events happen. Mass extinction events are natural occurances but we as humans have the ability to survive. Do we sit awake all night worrying about it? No, of course not. Do we make plans just in case? Wouldn't be a bad idea. Man is at a pivitol point in our timeline. We can't fully expect to sustain our wasteful, destructive lives indefinately. The biosphere can't sustain the raping of resources with little to no thought of its reprocussions.

Just a simple mans opinion

how do we get ready? what plans should we make?

Rosco..Jones

This is what it looks like after the catastrophe. People ask what to expect and I say pain. Empty houses and tall grass.

Hey Kid, Toxic contamination pervades our ecosystem and biosphere. I grew up near Love Canal in Niagara Falls, NY. For those unfamiliar, a residential section of the city was built on top of where a hazardous waste dump had been. This dump contained waste from many of the chemical and other industrial plants in the area, as well as waste from the nearby USAF base. I was dating the sister of Lois Gibbs (below) at the time. So I had an inside connection, as to what was going on. This type of problem is more widespread than most are aware of.

Side note:
At the Whirlpool park in Niagara Falls, there is a staircase that goes down to the river. On the way down, there was a natural spring coming out of the face of the cliff. Hikers would often stop and have a drink of cool water there. Today, it is covered with concrete. You can probably guess why.

Lake Ontario and the Niagara river, below the Falls, are contaminated with Dioxin from the chemical plants. Fishing licenses come with instructions on how to clean the fish, to remove the high concentration portions.

Chemical & Engineering News: Government & Policy - Happy Birthday, Love Canal (link)

Chemicals soon started rising to the soil's surface, Gondek recalls. "We kids would go over [by the canal], and you would see a bubble form—oh, I would say about 9 to 12 inches in diameter," she says. Kids would quickly gather up stones to throw into the chemical-filled hole. They didn't know it, but the bubbles formed when a metal drum of chemicals rusted through and broke underground. The shallow soil above it would collapse into the drum and force chemicals to the surface; then the sides of the hole would close back up after a minute or two. "It would open up sort of in slow motion, and then it would break, like a bubble would, and then you would throw the stones in. It was a game we played." The kids didn't think about whether it was dangerous. "As a child, you shouldn't have to."

THE SUMMER OF 1978. Michael Brown, a reporter at the Niagara Falls Gazette, wrote a couple of stories in May of 1978 about the wastes buried at Love Canal. A young housewife named Lois Gibbs (link) noticed them in the paper. She lived three blocks from the canal, which she figured was too far away for the chemicals to affect her, but out of curiosity she took one of the articles to her brother-in-law, who was a biology professor. When he told her that some of the chemicals listed can affect the nervous system, Gibbs thought about her 5-year-old son Michael's epilepsy and about his growing list of other health issues, including asthma, liver problems, and a urinary disorder, all of which developed after moving to Love Canal. Michael was in kindergarten at the 99th Street School—the school that had been built directly on top of the dump. Gibbs tried unsuccessfully to convince the school superintendent to transfer Michael to another school.

history love canal (link)

The start of the problems began back in 1953 when the Niagara Falls Board of Education bought the land at the dumping site for one dollar and built an elementary school on top of it. The rest of the town was built around the school and all the buried toxic chemicals. The architect who was hired to build the school questioned the safety of building on the land after finding a pit of chemicals but since he did not know what type of chemicals they were, he just mentioned that they may weaken the foundation of the building (Levine, 1982). The Board of Education ignored this and continued to build.

It wasn't until the mid 1970's that strange problems occurring in the area started to really be reported. As early as the 1950's strong odors were a problem in the area but they were attributed to the chemical companies in town. Other problem also occurred including children and dogs developing skin irritation after spending time in the field around the school as well as rocks that would explode when dropped. partment of Environmental Conservation of New York (DEC) got involved. More investigations and surveys were completed. The statistics of health problems are staggering. More information on these health statistics can be found here.