What exactly is gravity?

Harte

The fact remains that the bodies are in motion in space and that motions can add up.
Only if you stipulate a reference. For example, the Earth is moving 67,000 mph in an elliptical orbit around the Sun. But only if you take the Sun as motionless. The the Sun is moving 500,000 mph around the center of the Milky Way, but only if you take the galaxy center as motionless.
I'd add that for half of the year, the Earth is moving in the opposite direction than the Sun in it's trip around the Milky way, so even then the velocities subtract, they don't add.
The galaxy is moving 1.3 million mph toward the Great Attractor, but only if you take the Grat Attractor (whatever it is) to be motionless.

ALL velocity is relative. ALL velocity. ALL of it.
The speed of light in mph is 670,600,000. Even if all the above velocities were in a straight line and we took the attractor to be still, the total wouldn't amount to even 1% of light speed.

If the universe is the reference, then the further one zooms in, the faster things go,
Actually, it's the opposite. The closer you are to something, the slower it is moving - if you mean moving because of the expansion of the universe.
This is why, if you want to see Earth approaching light speed, you'll have to be at the edge of what, for us, is the visible universe.

Harte

TimeFlipper

Only if you stipulate a reference. For example, the Earth is moving 67,000 mph in an elliptical orbit around the Sun. But only if you take the Sun as motionless. The the Sun is moving 500,000 mph around the center of the Milky Way, but only if you take the galaxy center as motionless.
I'd add that for half of the year, the Earth is moving in the opposite direction than the Sun in it's trip around the Milky way, so even then the velocities subtract, they don't add.
The galaxy is moving 1.3 million mph toward the Great Attractor, but only if you take the Grat Attractor (whatever it is) to be motionless.

ALL velocity is relative. ALL velocity. ALL of it.
The speed of light in mph is 670,600,000. Even if all the above velocities were in a straight line and we took the attractor to be still, the total wouldn't amount to even 1% of light speed.

Actually, it's the opposite. The closer you are to something, the slower it is moving - if you mean moving because of the expansion of the universe.
This is why, if you want to see Earth approaching light speed, you'll have to be at the edge of what, for us, is the visible universe.

Harte

Come on Hartey don't confuse members...You know that light travels @ 186,000 miles per second...We don't use MPH here (y):LOL:..
BTW, I loved your "Orgone" posting, I fell of my chair laughing when I read it..!! :ROFLMAO:..
Keep up the gr8 humour Hartey, you might even catch me up.........1 day ;) :LOL:..