What happened to space opera?

CmdrShep2183

Back in the early 2000s we had awesome epic space operas like Battlestar Galactica and Babylon 5. I used to see a lot of commercials promoting the Battlestar Galactica TV series back in 2004-05. I was never interested in sci fi until earlier this year when I played the first Mass Effect under the recommendation of a friend. I thought the Battle for the Citadel scene was epic. I have yet to watch Battlestar Galactica and Babylon 5.

Why don't we see shows like Battlestar Galactica or Babylon 5 anymore? Did the network execs decide the genre was dead? Have the average person lost interest in space exploration? Have we become more cynical for the future? I think we need more epic space battles on TV.

It was long thought that fantasy was a genre once thought reserved for geeks but Game of Thrones has garnered a huge audience. Perhaps a well written space opera with a huge budget could appeal to a diverse audience.

Do you think this genre should be revived?

Harte

There's a couple of current ones on cable channels and streaming, haven't watched them much.
"The Expanse" comes to mind.

Stargate SG1 and Stargate Atlantis are still rerunning on elRey network, if you get that.

Harte

taykair

I'm afraid that really good television science fiction ended like this:

To those who know the context: Try not to get a lump in your throat.

To those that don't: Watch the series.

Harte

Yeah, first season was black and white.
And Dr. Smith was a real bad guy that season - tried to murder the Robinsons a couple of times.
They softened him up in subsequent seasons.

Harte

TnWatchdog

I think that the first few episodes were black and white but then, like a lot of TV shows of the period, they made the transition to color.

And what color! You were right about that, Harte.
I Googled it...the first season was filmed in black-and-white while the second and third season was in color. I remember the black and white, not color.