What If We're Missing A Sense?

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Think about this:

A person who was born blind, who will never be able to see. This person won't be able to experience sight and he/she can't possibly imagine, have an idea of what it is, at all. He/She will be used to ear, smell and touch the world, but never see it and won't know what he/she's missing.

What if we, humans, are actually missing one sense or more and don't have a clue? There are so many things that are out of our grasp, some things out there can't even be seen with the naked eye: For instance, we can't see infra red light. What else are we missing?

Are there things in the universe that can't be experienced without a certain sense, aptitude humans can't have?

Do you think we're likely to be missing a sense we can't even possibly imagine?

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
I'm more inclined to believe that the creators developed senses for us in our mortal forms that did not exist in our immortal soul forms.

Wind7

Staff
Everyone is unique but with no hard evidence, extra sensory is lost into the ether of proof.

Carl Miller

Are we in need of a new sense, a channel of perception which would allow us to expand our perceptible ability to the extent it would enable us to understand the meaning of life?
Could any new sense empower us (with new valuable data) enough to make us responsive to the gnawing challenges we are facing today?

Any new sense incorporated in our physiology stemming ramifications in our brain so that it would allow us to expand our consciousness, or our perceptible range ?
One thing can be considered: the new sense acquired the expanded consciousness experienced would be limited by one main thing: our ego.

The ego has a way to filter new data sorting it out in the archives of our background or conditioning-product of thousand years of tradition, religious culture, preconcepts learned. This is the store house of our unconscious. This is the framework in which new data will be fit in, adapted or discarded. New rags can be sown and patched onto old clothing. That's how we wish to adequate weird realities to fit in what we wish to believe.
There's also the observer issue. The observer will judge the observed according to the store house of knowledges accepted consensually what we call culture.
Conflict is created since the gap between 'what should be' will never fill up the new challenges we face every moment. Ideal and facts create conflict since we will be struggling to fit new challenges in old formats. That wont do. The observer distorts the observed no matter how powerful the observer can be. I mean no matter how many new senses of perception show up enhancing our brain expanding our perception of reality as it appears to our senses what we call as phenomena. Old senses can be revisited and harnessed or external technological devices can be aggregated to human brain. But limitations imposed by the observer or ego can not be defeated.

Last edited:

PoisonApple

Badass ☆。*♡✧*。
Zenith
Maybe we can't imagine what sense, but I definitely think we're "missing" something... Maybe it's a sense we need to evolve into? All of our junk, inactive DNA has to be for something, right?

Martian

Maybe the ability to sense crabs lurking nearby on St Patrick's day would be useful. Muahahaha!

ChesapeakeBayMarylandBlueCrab.jpg

-"Hug me!" :D

Wind7

Staff
Inactive or a part of normal routine? Cosmo just hit the nail. Common sense, unique to the bearer.

Carl Miller

Oh yes. That's right, Martian. I watched on CNN news today is Ssint Patrick day. It reminds me how we are blessed today with the high level of technological progress in communication. Here in South America i can virtually participate in the main events in the world. And did you find out where Putin got hidden for one week. I guess we was making out his date at the cold magical mountains in Switzerland.
Tell Sir Elton John to stop fighting Dolce and Gabbana on twitter cause this is unworthy of a lord. Iconic singer for us who crossed the barrier of 40.

Last edited:

CDS

There are countless senses we don't have. Echo location or sonic vision, our sight & hearing are very limited, sensing energy (like a shark), sensing the tiniest vibrations (spider).

I could sit and list things all day, point is our "view" of the world is through our senses and we're oblivious to what we cannot sense (most of the time).

Last edited: