what if

mark

what if

ok what if you create a time machine to prevent an incident that was the reason for you to create it in the first place

StarLord

Re: what if

You would probably never get a chance to eat lunch.

John

You'd be the star of a book/movie called "the time machine"?

mark

i mean what if the guy in the time machine had been succesfull in saving his wife would the time machine ceased to exist an didnt he encounter his past self

StarLord

mark, you are not making sense. Start from the Begining, then build the story, then finish it. Then we can see where the wife fits in all this.

mark

sorry, ok the guy in the time machine built a time machine to stop the woman he loved from getting killed , he had been succesful in saving her by going back in time would a paradox been made( one were he built the time machine an one were he didnt need it. my next question is if he went back why didnt he encounter his past self.

thenumbersix

Multiple realities is the only way to answer the question. He creates a new and similar reality in which his loved one survives.He has no memory of the events as they didn't happen in his past. Why he wouldn't meet his past self is well glossed over in the story. The fact is, with each failure our hero would need to go back further and further to avoid his other selves. Alternatively he could gang up with them and form a wall in front of the carriage.

Sadly, they both seem incredibly inept at keeping our heroine safe, I fear the Universe won't have to wait long for the seperate realities to merge again as she falls out of a window or slips under a train or some other bizarre fatal occurence.

The paradox arguement is based on an over inflated belief that our actions really matter or make any difference. The question is does the Universe really care if we go back and kill our ancestorrs, the answer is most likely a resounding no..

mark

thanks im gonna switch to quantum physics next year what job possibilyties could it have