What is a Reflection?

SergiusPaulus

What is a "visual" reflection on the particle level? Not reflection of sound. Are the particles bonding with the surface it is attached to or is there a barrier between the reflection we see and the actual surface? Different substances reflect, mirrors, glass, metals, liquids and others. Can a gas reflect? How thin is a reflection?

Last edited:

Beholder

What is a "visual" reflection on the particle level? Not reflection of sound. Are the particles bonding with the surface it is attached to or is there a barrier between the reflection we see and the actual surface? Different substances reflect, mirrors, glass, metals, liquids and others. Can a gas reflect? How thin is a reflection?
Reflection is when the light is repulsed to bounce from the surface's forcefield. A mirror can appear entirely flat despite atoms being round, by merging many such diffuse fields next to each other. For gas, the reflection and refraction is scattered in all directions, giving clouds a diffuse look.

For total reflections, light was already inside of the material and does not have a steep enough exit angle to escape. When inside of a material, most of the space consists of nothing, held apart using strong forces.

Refraction is when the light is pulled into the transparent material. Causing lens magnification, prisms, rainbows... Because light is already at maximum speed, the curve bends as if the speed increases internally, but it's the same speed of light to an outside observer.

This explanation is a bit simplified, excluding spin, colors, wavelengths, polarization and quantum effects. Real light behaves as both waves and particles, because stopping makes it go away from just being energy.

Last edited:

lamdo263

A multiple locus eye of gathered facts displayed back to the subject viewing the reflection.

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
A reflection is an image. It is 2 dimensional. It has no depth. At least that is how we envision it mathematically. I've not seen anyone come up with an experiment to verify the mathematical concept.

SergiusPaulus

If we look at the actual object being reflected all of its particles are hitting our eyes at different times due to its 3D shape. But a mirror for example is 2 D. So all of the particles of the image being reflected hits our eyes simultaneously, maybe or no? Does that have an effect on near sightedness? If an object is 20 feet away but is reflected off a mirror 5 feet away would the reflection be in more focus than the actual object?

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
If we look at the actual object being reflected all of its particles are hitting our eyes at different times due to its 3D shape. But a mirror for example is 2 D. So all of the particles of the image being reflected hits our eyes simultaneously, maybe or no? Does that have an effect on near sightedness? If an object is 20 feet away but is reflected off a mirror 5 feet away would the reflection be in more focus than the actual object?

There is some unknown science there if you can figure it out.

I noticed one time at night, my laptop was reflecting light off the ceiling onto a large closet mirror sliding door. Only thing was In the mirror reflection the ceiling reflection was in a different location than in the room.

Beholder

There is some unknown science there if you can figure it out.

I noticed one time at night, my laptop was reflecting light off the ceiling onto a large closet mirror sliding door. Only thing was In the mirror reflection the ceiling reflection was in a different location than in the room.
That can happen with specular light reflections. The spot of light appears to move when the observer changes angle, due to a limited spread when light bounces.

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
That can happen with specular light reflections. The spot of light appears to move when the observer changes angle, due to a limited spread when light bounces.

The facts that I noticed were that the normal reflection rules don't apply. The light reflection off the ceiling is at right angles to the mirror. Also the mirror is displaying a reflection of a reflected source of light. I can only surmise that a reflection being reflected has different properties than a solid object. Just remember the direction of the light changes direction with each reflection. Kind of like positive and negative light.

steven chiverton

a reflection say a visual representation of the light emission say from the ceiling above you onto the surface of the water in a water proofed speaker thats reflection deeper down the crystalline structure of the water plays the main part , and when the water is subjected to low frequency sine waves its crystalline structure changes thus the reflection of the ceiling above the water suddenly changes and forms not just patterns but bright patterns more light that the visible ceiling reflection can supply, leaving a question where did that extra light energy come from this is what i found in my experiments and the reflection on the surface of the water also can be readable to like the water is communicating to me and more .? and at higher frequencies the surface crystalline structure of the water then acts like a fresenel lens , so you can see the clear reflection going distorted when you look at the surface at an angle