What Is Stonehenge?

shield

Stonehenge is a giant stone circle located in Britain. It was built around 3150 years ago,many believe by its ancient inhabitants. Whats remarkable about Stonehenge is that its stones were not just lying around, they were transported from thousands of miles away. Worse yet they are thousands of pounds which would make putting them up into their formation a huge difficulty. So why would they make it? Many historians believe it was a tribute to their gods, a human sacrifice table. But why would they take such hardships to do this? What do you think is the secret of stonehenge?

ZeoEmeraude

Here's what I think happened.
stonehenge.jpg

Num7

Administrator
Staff
A clock... or a calendar. I remember reading something regarding Stonehenge and the sun's location at sunset all over the year. Someone inside could notice those changes between seasons.

I doubt they'd build that just to watch the sunsets. There must be more to it for sure.

kcwildman

Beastmaster
yeah I don't know either seems like an awfull lot for just a calander but maybe if you got no T.V its somethin to do

shield

I don't believe in the 2012 theory's. They all have evidence behind them, but its not possible all of them can happen at once

jon

stonehenge3.jpg

The construction of Stonehenge took place in three stages, beginning in 3100 BC, when the first builders created a large circular ditch and bank, and dug pits known as Aubrey Holes. At this time they also erected two large Heel stones, only one of which remains. Until recently, the first Stonehenge was thought to have been either a temple for sun worshippers or some type of astronomical clock or calendar.
stonehenge_layout.gif

Last thing I read was that it was not a solar calander but a lunar one. Love to go there and have a "very, very, very mini" model of what the completed version might have looked like around 12,000BCE, 10,000BCE is a little to late for completion sayeth the folks I watched from ther BBC-A.