What is the science behind recurring dreams ?

Num7

Administrator
Staff
1630633718754.png

Just about everyone will have dreamt about being chased, being late for work or falling off a cliff edge.

Having the same dream again and again is a well-known phenomenon — nearly two-thirds of the population report having recurring dreams. Being chased, finding yourself naked in a public place or in the middle of a natural disaster, losing your teeth or forgetting to go to class for an entire semester are typical recurring scenarios in these dreams.

But where does the phenomenon come from? The science of dreams shows that recurring dreams may reflect unresolved conflicts in the dreamer's life.

Recurring dreams often occur during times of stress, or over long periods of time, sometimes several years or even a lifetime. Not only do these dreams have the same themes, they can also repeat the same narrative night after night.

Although the exact content of recurring dreams is unique to every individual, there are common themes among individuals and even among cultures and in different periods. For example, being chased, falling, being unprepared for an exam, arriving late or trying to do something repeatedly are among the most prevalent scenarios.

The majority of recurring dreams have negative content involving emotions such as fear, sadness, anger and guilt. More than half of recurring dreams involve a situation where the dreamer is in danger. But some recurring themes can also be positive, even euphoric, such as dreams where we discover new rooms in our house, erotic dreams or where we fly.

In some cases, recurring dreams that begin in childhood can persist into adulthood. These dreams may disappear for a few years, reappear in the presence of a new source of stress and then disappear again when the situation is over.

Read the rest:

PoisonApple

Badass ☆。*♡✧*。
Zenith
But some recurring themes can also be positive, even euphoric, such as dreams where we discover new rooms in our house, erotic dreams or where we fly.

I thought I was the only one who dreamt of discovering new rooms in my house! Interesting... :)

I have been having the same recurring dream every so often, for years now. I'm in the kitchen of a big house and I look out the window to see a beautiful beach below; white sand, crystal blue lagoon. The water calls to me and I'm so excited to jump in! But then someone/something tells me my time is up and I have to leave... The overwhelming sense of dread washes over me, knowing I missed my opportunity. I didn't understand the meaning of this dream until recently. Life passes by so quickly. When you have the chance to be happy, you gotta take it.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
I used to dream about discovering new rooms in my house a few years back. No more than 2 years ago. Like, several nights in a row. You're not the only one. It was pretty weird and it felt so real, I'd still have that feeling of discovery when I woke up.

Used to dream about clogged toilets, too. Like, a few times a week. I think I have a thread about it somewhere. It was 4 to 5 years ago.

In those dreams, I'd have the urgent need to expel a #2 and every toilet I'd find would be clogged. Like, filled to the bring with shit and TP. I'd either wake up, or the dreams would keep going, and I'd take a chance and flush. It would usually end with the toilet overflowing and there'd be shit everywhere... Good morning!

I never shit my bed though. It was aaaaaall a dream.

Back then I must have had shit inside of me that I needed to get rid of. Literally and figuratively!

Wind7

Staff
I thought I was the only one who dreamt of discovering new rooms in my house! Interesting... :)

I have been having the same recurring dream every so often, for years now. I'm in the kitchen of a big house and I look out the window to see a beautiful beach below; white sand, crystal blue lagoon. The water calls to me and I'm so excited to jump in! But then someone/something tells me my time is up and I have to leave... The overwhelming sense of dread washes over me, knowing I missed my opportunity. I didn't understand the meaning of this dream until recently. Life passes by so quickly. When you have the chance to be happy, you gotta take it.

You're definitely not the only one.

I had a recurring dream where I would find a hidden room behind a panel in the back of my closet
where I would go inside and find myself in a completely different house that was full of carpeted staircases
that led to more strange rooms. Some with people I have never seen before whom all knew me.

There was another where my home turned out to be larger inside than out and
in the far back was yet another home big as a Mansion with a huge weird gothic room
and it was also extremely haunted....You could just feel you were been watched.

When I have had these, they are all very, very realistic.

Wind7

Staff
I used to dream about discovering new rooms in my house a few years back. No more than 2 years ago. Like, several nights in a row. You're not the only one. It was pretty weird and it felt so real, I'd still have that feeling of discovery when I woke up.

Used to dream about clogged toilets, too. Like, a few times a week. I think I have a thread about it somewhere. It was 4 to 5 years ago.

In those dreams, I'd have the urgent need to expel a #2 and every toilet I'd find would be clogged. Like, filled to the bring with shit and TP. I'd either wake up, or the dreams would keep going, and I'd take a chance and flush. It would usually end with the toilet overflowing and there'd be shit everywhere... Good morning!

I never shit my bed though. It was aaaaaall a dream.

Back then I must have had shit inside of me that I needed to get rid of. Literally and figuratively!

More Poo? ;)

(Kidding)

Last edited:

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
I have a few often:

- I'm back in high school and I can't find my class and I wander the school lost for hours

- My husband always leaves me stranded somewhere like a big city. He just leaves. LOL. The dreams have various locations, not the same one.

- This one finally stopped but I had it most of my life. I'm in a bed in a library at night and a gorilla comes in slowly and I hide under the sheets.

Bizarre.