What is time and how does it work?

Opmmur

Time Travel Professor
What is time and how does it work?

It is very frustrating to me to see so many people and including members here, wanting to build a real working Time Machine. If you were to ask these people, the question: What is time and how does it work? Not a single person could give you the correct answer.

The second question: If you do not know “what time is or how it works”, how are you going to build a real working Time Machine without that knowledge?

It looks like to me, everybody is wasting their time until they can answer the first question listed here. Once that is accomplished they will have insight to the second question. Only with working knowledge can anyone build a real Time Machine.

Professor Opmmur

TimeFlipper

Excellent question Prof (y).

Can i start off by saying that i believe Time is a "sequencer", which means everything in our universe does not happen all at once..
Time gives us a natural "flow" of things beginning and ending or starting and finishing, with "spaces" inbetween those events, such as seconds..minutes..hours..days..weeks..months..etc etc..

Yes we created the names of those "spaces" for our own obvious purposes, but Time allowed for those spaces to exist in the first place.

Time Travel is seen as going back in our time flow with a desire to change things in the past, or going forward in the time flow to see what could be happening in our future and to prevent things happening (Wars..Famine..Pestilence..etc etc)..:)..

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
It's a question that can't be answered without first acquiring lots of observable data over a wide range of phenomena.

We know that time runs slower here on the earth as opposed to out in space. But that belief is based on atomic decay rates that decay faster out in space. And it may turn out that it is just the way nuclear force behaves in the presence of gravity.

Nevertheless there has to be some starting point or general consensus on which way to proceed in the investigation of what time is. So I chose the wave theory approach. Where TIME is just a force expressing itself as a wave. It would appear to be a standing wave to us. So far I have not come across any phenomena which would suggest otherwise. In fact we have many phenomena to examine that show us how waves work. So based on this starting point knowledge I proceeded to look for any phenomena that deviates from the norm.

So far I have two candidates for further investigation. Tesla's Zero Time Reference Generator and the four configurations to make a Tesla coil.

The Zero Time Reference Generator exhibits a rotation phenomena in its horizontal plane. Right after it transitions a directional change in rotation, the rpm of the device speeds up on its own. That indicates a wave phenomena that just experienced a TIME reversal. Kind of like the direction of weight in an inertial force flipped its direction to align with the acceleration of the device.

In the above video I'm running four Tesla coils that are being turned on and off in a rotating pattern. These are negative voltage coils. Two of them are clockwise winding. The other two are counterclockwise windings. I never did figure out why they make the whistling sound. I have nothing in the electronics that is running at those sound frequencies heard. But the coils react to my hands position in relation to the coils. It's like time speeds up when moving my hand toward the left coil. And time slows down when moving my hand toward the right coil.

TimeFlipper

Its good to see you displaying your engineering skills again mate (y).

It might be the capacitance from your hand when it moves closer or further away from the coil that changes the frequencies of the whistling sounds (or i could be wrong)...The Theramin machine does something similar, and it was used to create that lovely sound in the Beach Boys song, Good Vibrations...:) When the guy starts singing, im picking up good vibrations, she`s giving me excitations, theTheramin kicks in :cool:

Last edited:

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
I do know my presence close to the coils will cause a drop in the operational frequencies of the Tesla coils. It was a theory I did investigate. I reasoned that maybe the frequency of the coil that caused a sound frequency drop was possibly decreasing in frequency itself. It was! But so was the frequency of the other coil on the left too. All the coils decrease in operational frequency with my proximity. So that theory didn't hold water for a sound harmonic that increases in pitch. Although it was the coil on the right that was behaving in an opposite manner to the theremin. And another thing I noted was that none of the coils exhibit the whistling sound when operated individually. Just a whooshing sound as the coil turns on and off. The coils operational frequency will run anywhere between 185 to 215 Kilohertz depending on my proximity to the coil. Well above the audio frequency heard. The rotational on-off frequency was around 2 hertz. Too low to create the whistling sound. This to me was the defining difference between a clockwise wound coil and a counterclockwise wound coil.

TimeFlipper

You reminded me of a radio receiver facility thats been known and used by Radio Hams for many years, and its called a heterodyne..
This is where two higher frequencies join together to form a lower frequency, so its possible maybe that two of your coils will develope 185Khz and the other 215Khz (purely as an example) and when they merge, a lower frequency audio signal is formed, such as your whistling sound :whistle: :D..

In our older radio receivers there would be what is called a Beat Frequency Oscillator (BFO) which is a dedicated oscillator thats used to make an audio frequency signal from Morse Code, audible...It would also have a variable pitch control that helped make the sound lower or higher in pitch, which helped individual listeners like Prof Opmmur and me who are "getting on a bit" ;) :D..

I cant think of anymore ways to possibly describe your whistling phenomena :D..

Last edited:

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
What you suggest actually makes sense to me. So I listened to a tone generator on my computer just to see what frequency the whistling sound is running at. 2000 Hz is pretty close. If the coil on the right is running 2000 Hz higher than the others, then the phenomena could be explained. By moving my hand toward the left side coil would cause that coil to drop in frequency making a greater frequency differential. Say 2500Hz which is what appears to happen. Moving my hand toward the right side coil would cause its frequency to drop cutting the differential down to say 1500Hz. Thus the sound diminishes in pitch. Exactly what I see.

Of course this suggests that the oscillating electric fields from the Tesla coils are creating an interference pattern that directly translates into sound in the air. No speaker needed.

Opmmur

Time Travel Professor
I've done a lot of things with very high-voltages and Tesla coils years ago, back in the 70s or 80s I read an article regarding Tesla coils and high-voltage, the title of the article was: "ringing coils" which perked my curiosity. I really wished I could remember more about the article and were it was published. If someone had time to research ringing coils I'm sure that would pop up somewhere on the Internet, unfortunately I don't have that kind of time.

Opmmur

Time Travel Professor
Einstein, do you own a oscilloscope where you could hook it up to positive high-voltage side of the Tesla coil oscilloscope using a old-fashioned CRT high voltage probe. Quite possibly you might be able to detect harmonics in the audio range. Just a suggestion. Should you decide to do that be very careful of the RF Burns or better yet, just hang the high-voltage probe without holding in your hand when testing.

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
I've done a lot of things with very high-voltages and Tesla coils years ago, back in the 70s or 80s I read an article regarding Tesla coils and high-voltage, the title of the article was: "ringing coils" which perked my curiosity. I really wished I could remember more about the article and were it was published. If someone had time to research ringing coils I'm sure that would pop up somewhere on the Internet, unfortunately I don't have that kind of time.

That does ring a bell in my memory too. I used to read Popular Electronics magazine back then. Almost all of the Popular Electronics magazines are available for free download online. Here is the link:

POPULAR ELECTRONICS: Consumer Electronics and Experimenter magazine