Debate why are people still taking John Titor seriously?

Barbon

Some of his predictions pretty much anyone could had made and ALL his predictions never happened so why oh why does this guy still get treated like he was some sort of time lord who was really able to go back from the year 2050 or whatever it was and go in some chat room? is there a SHRED of evidence that says he was legit? even a tiny bit? I have studied the story and claims fairly many times and found none whatsoever and pretty much anyone can put up a pic of some high tech looking equipment with warning stickers on it and say its a time machine.

I know everyone likes to hear and believe an exiting story but come on people. Come on!

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
You have a good question there. I certainly don't know the answer. I have repeatedly shown that the laser picture is not even possible to take in our universe. Yet that particular fact is continuously discarded by the believers.

I have even researched the angle that some people are not capable of determining a fact. Possibly due to a religious background. In religion you are required to accept belief as if it were fact. So the line of what's real and what's not becomes blurry. Because the concept of belief is treated as if it were fact.

Barbon

You have a good question there. I certainly don't know the answer. I have repeatedly shown that the laser picture is not even possible to take in our universe. Yet that particular fact is continuously discarded by the believers.

I have even researched the angle that some people are not capable of determining a fact. Possibly due to a religious background. In religion you are required to accept belief as if it were fact. So the line of what's real and what's not becomes blurry. Because the concept of belief is treated as if it were fact.

Well I think a lot of it is wishful thinking more than anything else only they wish it to the point where they actually believe it!

Sam Slagg

I have asked this very question often. I was on the boards the night this hoaxter began. The vast majority of people called him out even then and there were only maybe 30 or so posters who even bothered to post as he only showed up about once a week and of the more 100 posts, responded to a very select few. He based the majority of his crap on a series of books by Dolores Cannon, a hypnotherapist who claimed to "time travel" via hypnosis. Facts like that seem to have faded into the ether and now it has become more of an internet myth. Time travel itself is of course a favorite dream of the human being so it is easy to see how the story has flourished in the imagination of the hopeful and gullible alike. "timetravellr" as he called himself on a different forum is and always was a hoax.

AAA

Somewhere in the posts (unless they have been altered) it mentions that there is debate in 'his time' about whether or not time travel exists. It also states somewhere that the internet is superior in 'his time'.

Are people not debating about whether or not time travel exists in the current time?

With all the different wireless networks, capabilities and hot-spots available, is the internet not superior now to how it was in 2001?

If you folks only knew how many times you have overlooked things, ...simply because you are waiting for someone like Marty McFly to show up in a Delorean.

*Sigh*

TuesdayMcBob

I think the general answer to Barbon's question is that Titor had a good story.
Like The Book of Mormon or The Name of the Wind.

Are people not debating about whether or not time travel exists in the current time?

Time travel debates don't exist in the current time.

If you folks only knew how many times you have overlooked things, ...simply because you are waiting for someone like Marty McFly to show up in a Delorean.

How many?

Sam Slagg

How many?
The reality though is that the story really wasn't that good. He found a creative way of getting around the problem of providing specific
"future" information by inventing a "timeline divergence" and nothing more. Having set the stage in this manner allows for all sorts of " predictions" that have a built in failsafe when the"prediction" is wrong. As far as the internet being better now, yeah of course it is you wouldn't have to be a "time traveler" to speculate about that. Pretty much all of our technology has improved over the years. This is not prediction or even speculation, it is inevitability.

Sam Slagg

Somewhere in the posts (unless they have been altered) it mentions that there is debate in 'his time' about whether or not time travel exists. It also states somewhere that the internet is superior in 'his time'.

With all the different wireless networks, capabilities and hot-spots available, is the internet not superior now to how it was in 2001?

*Sigh*
I haven't overlooked a thing. If anyone is overlooking anything, it is the gullible who want to believe that time travel is a reality. This story has more holes in it than the official 9/11 report.

AAA

How many?
The reality though is that the story really wasn't that good. He found a creative way of getting around the problem of providing specific
"future" information by inventing a "timeline divergence" and nothing more. Having set the stage in this manner allows for all sorts of " predictions" that have a built in failsafe when the"prediction" is wrong. As far as the internet being better now, yeah of course it is you wouldn't have to be a "time traveler" to speculate about that. Pretty much all of our technology has improved over the years. This is not prediction or even speculation, it is inevitability.

Exactly.

I think it is important to use our best critical thinking skills here.

Consider this;

If, in 2001, technology to turn cell phones into "hot spots" was in the testing phase being developed in a laboratory, it suggests that anyone who knew this would be a saavy tech person or privy to that information as per being part of it.

Of course, if you were from 2018 traveling back to 2001, it is understandable how not having the same convenience of wireless networks could be a little annoying or frustrating. It would be something you would likely take note of, and even mention.

But how would he know people would be openly debating time travel in these forums in such a capacity. Granted, many people have openly debated such things for a long time. But was it at the same level as it is now? Would it be such a hot topic had he not posted in 2001. How would he know that he was even taken seriously enough to provoke it?

Who knows?