Why Did Thomas Edison And Henry Ford Kill The Original Electric Car?

Logical Mind

Ford in its beginning was originally making all his cars electric yet mysteriously the company switched to gasoline instead. He first drove his electric Quadricycle on the streets of Detroit in 1896 and in 1914 work had started on a low-priced electric car. Reports appeared in trade magazines and in newspapers regarding Ford's getting into electric cars and the man himself even confirmed the rumors.

"Some conspiracy theorists believe the oil cartels got to Ford and Edison and caused them to abandon the project; they offer as evidence the "mysterious" fire that nearly destroyed Edison's workshops in West Orange, New Jersey, in December 1914. Besides the fact that all work on the electric took place in Dearborn , we also see in the coverage of the fire in the December 10, 1914, issue of the New York Times that the fire skirted the two buildings in which any work on the electric car would have taken place. "

"The downfall of the Edison-Ford electric car came about because Ford demanded the use of Edison's nickel-iron batteries in the car, and would have no other battery powering this car. Edison's batteries, however, were found to have very high internal resistance and were thus incapable of powering an electric car under many circumstances. Heavier lead-acid batteries (which would have made the car too ponderous) were substituted behind Henry Ford's back, and when he found out, he went ballistic.

"The program quickly fell to the wayside with other projects demanding Henry Ford's time. Ford invested $1.5 million in the electric-car project and nearly bought 100,000 batteries from Edison before the project fell apart."

End of quote

Tesla Motors comes to the rescue.

When it comes to manufacturing advanced electric cars Tesla Motors is the trail blazer with an determination so far unknown to the gas vehicle manufacturing businesses around the planet.

Peoples' health, the environment and Mother Earth, anguished in the face of selfish inclinations from both manufactures and the population, were totally ignored all these years by people purchasing and driving offensive gasoline cars from cold, materialistic manufactures who could not care less.

The manufactures of EVs mostly in Europe, after realizing Musk success, were more than eager to imitate him. China at the beginning, and Japan, out of fear of not being able to sell their gas cars, opted to close their doors to EVS manufacturing thus taking a step backwards in the modern trend of car industry worldwide.

Toyota, for instance, absolutely refuses to build electric, yet China on the other hand had built the world largest EVs manufacturing facilities ever known.

Were both Edison and Ford, by unexpected negative circumstances, forced to abandon their cherished electric car project as some in those days and even today believe?

Last edited:

NaturalPhilosopher

well electric cars back then were seriously slow.
they weren't smelly, didn't have a large mechanical hand crank in the front to start it so they were considered women's cars and they used them. I think they figured out competitors working on perfecting the gasoline engine to make it more user friendly, longer range, less smelly would've killed any electric car competitions back then.

we didn't have electric cars in more modern times because the lithium-ion battery wasn't really fully tested on a large scale yet. electric cars can't run on lead acid batteries, they're too heavy and limits the range to like 20 to 50 miles if that. And they can't take a full discharge they just die. So wasn't feasible back then and is barely feasible today.

Tesla cars had to completely invent the electric car power system. Had to invent computers to do load management for the maximum efficiencies, entirely new motor and drive train, etc, etc....was difficult.

There are secrets to make free energy to keep a battery charged so if that was the plan by ford then that's why he killed it...not cuz of the battery tech but because of the battery charging circuitry

ford and edison both tried to bring free energy to the marketplace but they also aren't suicidal. henry ford wrote a whole book about the jewish cabal.

so the only real way to make a feasible electric car is a fuel cell. There's secret cheap and easy ways to make those but of course the academics say they need a million dollars of platinum in each car. R.I.P.

nothing is allowed by price point to compete with fossil fuels without massive infrastructure investment(wind, solar, hydroelectric)

Last edited:

981cav

Ford also said he was going to grow cars meaning he was going to use hemp to make alot of the parts as well as fuel and oil. But Carnegie and Rockefeller convinced him to use their steel and petroleum products instead.

Logical Mind

I have heard of that, two great sources in manufacturing environmentally friendly cars: electricity, and hemp.

If the Ford and Edison plans for that hemp/electric car could have been allowed now we would have been driving advanced EVs probably for less, not to mention the benefits to the environment, and the permanent cultivation of hemp all these years.

By the way, as many of you know, hemp is nationally legal again.

Logical Mind

@Logical Mind is still valid or outdated information?

Marijuana has not been decriminalized in FL., not yet.

Hemp, on the other hand, was fully legalized in the US at the Federal level about two years ago.

Quote:

" Last Thursday, the President officially signed the 2018 Farm Bill. That means hemp is officially legal in the U.S. and that hemp and its derivatives are no longer considered Schedule I narcotics. This opens many doorways to U.S. farmers who have been struggling more and more economically in recent years. " End of quotation

Last edited:
I have a old magazine from nat geo dating back late 90’s that advertises a hydrogen vehicle soon for sale by FORD. Well apparently they got shut up. Because they advertised it consecutive for 2 months that’s it and then disappears off the map I’ll see if I can find it and snap a pic.

HDRKID

I have found that remote work could reduce fuel use. Still, the biggest problem, with electric vehicles is the limited range. I just talked to a Tesla owner. She told me that waiting hours for her vehicle to charge is a pain. Also, the vehicle is expensive. Still, we could see some microcars. Basically, these would be glorified golf carts in residential areas.

A better future would be to continue to use remote work and not use cars.

Harte

Tesla doesn't (and can't) manufacture electric cars at a profit. They actually turn any profit they make from selling the regulatory credits they get for their environmentally clean operation to polluters.

Harte

TimeFlipper

Ford in its beginning was originally making all his cars electric yet mysteriously the company switched to gasoline instead. He first drove his electric Quadricycle on the streets of Detroit in 1896 and in 1914 work had started on a low-priced electric car. Reports appeared in trade magazines and in newspapers regarding Ford's getting into electric cars and the man himself even confirmed the rumors.

"Some conspiracy theorists believe the oil cartels got to Ford and Edison and caused them to abandon the project; they offer as evidence the "mysterious" fire that nearly destroyed Edison's workshops in West Orange, New Jersey, in December 1914. Besides the fact that all work on the electric took place in Dearborn , we also see in the coverage of the fire in the December 10, 1914, issue of the New York Times that the fire skirted the two buildings in which any work on the electric car would have taken place. "

"The downfall of the Edison-Ford electric car came about because Ford demanded the use of Edison's nickel-iron batteries in the car, and would have no other battery powering this car. Edison's batteries, however, were found to have very high internal resistance and were thus incapable of powering an electric car under many circumstances. Heavier lead-acid batteries (which would have made the car too ponderous) were substituted behind Henry Ford's back, and when he found out, he went ballistic.

"The program quickly fell to the wayside with other projects demanding Henry Ford's time. Ford invested $1.5 million in the electric-car project and nearly bought 100,000 batteries from Edison before the project fell apart."

End of quote

Tesla Motors comes to the rescue.

When it comes to manufacturing advanced electric cars Tesla Motors is the trail blazer with an determination so far unknown to the gas vehicle manufacturing businesses around the planet.

Peoples' health, the environment and Mother Earth, anguished in the face of selfish inclinations from both manufactures and the population, were totally ignored all these years by people purchasing and driving offensive gasoline cars from cold, materialistic manufactures who could not care less.

The manufactures of EVs mostly in Europe, after realizing Musk success, were more than eager to imitate him. China at the beginning, and Japan, out of fear of not being able to sell their gas cars, opted to close their doors to EVS manufacturing thus taking a step backwards in the modern trend of car industry worldwide.

Toyota, for instance, absolutely refuses to build electric, yet China on the other hand had built the world largest EVs manufacturing facilities ever known.

Were both Edison and Ford, by unexpected negative circumstances, forced to abandon their cherished electric car project as some in those days and even today believe?

Toyota have already announced they will be building electric cars in 2020, with a new BEV platform and six global BEV models including crossovers and more...When I worked for a Peugeot dealership back in 2008 I drove an electric Peugeot 106 it was great....Only 2 "gears" forwards and backwards, very quick and very quiet which was very weird to me, not hearing any engine noise...I loved driving it, although i never asked how long the battery lasted before a recharge..