Why is the sky turning green over South Dakota?

Noah_A_S

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
Probably just normal dispersion's of particulate matter in the atmosphere. No one ever looks for natural causes any more. From forest fires to meteorites burning up in the atmosphere. It could even be matter from coronal discharges from the sun. I remember several years back there were huge swath's of California on fire. The sky turned into a very dark orange color. And stayed that way for days on end.

Wind7

Staff
Here in MN, whenever we see a Green sky that normally means really severe weather is coming,
especially when it suddenly gets all calm.

There is a scientific explanation for it.

It’s not fully understood why green skies occur, but most scientists point to the liquid water content in the air as a root cause.

The celestial phenomenon occurs when clouds carry a lot of water and allow primarily blue light to pass through the storm cloud.

The blue light mixes with the sun's red light, and the sky turns green.

I used to tell my mum, " It's Aliens, mum. There's so many on the way that the skies turn green."

;)

Noah_A_S

I read the same thing about green skies being a sign of severe weather, such as hail, thunderstorms, or tornados, somewhere today. But the whole concept of 'green sky', at least here on Earth... is just super fascinating and merited its own post, IMO.

Edit: also I just gave you the titorrific award for that explanation, and I posted the same thing on TTI

Wind7

Staff
I read the same thing about green skies being a sign of severe weather, such as hail, thunderstorms, or tornados, somewhere today. But the whole concept of 'green sky', at least here on Earth... is just super fascinating and merited its own post, IMO.

Oh Absolutely, Noah! :)

Nothing curls my toes quicker than seeing the Green Skies overhead!