Wild ideas from the Internet that might influence people out there

Peregrini

AMIN NOTE: This thread is the fruit of a moderation mishap on my part, as I should have created right away a thread out of this comment, rather than deleting it. The current post refers to the concept of wild (read crazy, dangerous) ideas being posted on the Internet, that somewhat weak-minded people may be influenced by and commit terrible acts, such as, for instance, a shooting.

This is exactly the type of pop-sci, alt-sci bullshit that influences the weak minded bags of excrement like Holmes to commit the atrocities that they do. He DID NOT commit this horrendous act in some alternate fucking time line...He DID IT HERE. The 71 families that will suffer from his actions will live with this reality HERE.
A PhD candidate is not exempt from having a mental break from reality as would appear this person had. People, like you and like Holmes, who perpetuate these fantastical ideas of alternate timelines where you can "do something" to see if it affects this time line or some other one, plant the seeds into the weak minds, and you never know who is reading these posts, and influence them to commit these types of acts.
I actually have a hell of a lot more I could say but for now I won't. I'll probably be in trouble for this already.
Get a grip on REALITY.

Peregrini

Numenorean7
Although you chose to delete it, I stand by my original post. I re-read it several times and the only thing I see that I might have avoided was 1 "strong, colorful adjective", but it was the one that best conveyed my emotion concerning the relative premise. I have never been and will never be "politically correct". What you see is what you get. When an individual takes the occasion of one of the most horrendous events in American history to expound on an idiotic premise, I will call them on it.
I have commented on this before. The poster's comments, IMO, are not only asinine but irresponsible. I will not be at all surprised if later we learn that Holmes frequented sites similar to this one. From what we have learned already, he sounds like a few of the people I have already heard. I'll try to be careful so as not to be "somewhat rude". Most of the "far fetched" ideas floating around on the internet are harmless, but that doesn't mean someone on the edge already, won't be pushed over the edge by posts like the one I commented on. Some people will believe that nonsense with out question and possibly commit an act similar to Holmes, thinking there are no consequences.
Perhaps you considered my post a personal attack of the poster. It was an indictment of "what" he said...not who said it. I was not somewhat rude. I made a point. A harsh point in a harsh manner. If anyone made that comment in my presence I would have not hesitated to "read them the riot act". Some things need to be confronted...not Coddled. There are a few posters who have made posts that are so full of lies, or misrepresentations, who have been proven a hoaxer time and again, that should be confronted, but it is not my purview. Since a harsh critique is not welcome, even when appropriate and since I can only stand so much before I have to respond, I think I'll take a break from here before I do so again. If even 'this' post can not survive then let the following be my finis.

accepta veritas non est facile, sed veritas est veritatem.
i solum locutus veritatem.

vale, enim nunc

Num7

Administrator
Staff
I understand what you mean here. I'm moving this thread to the Feedback section so that we can discuss this issue further. I'm also going to copy the deleted post in here, to allow the discussion to take place in light of it.

I deleted it for a few reasons. It wasn't all that rude actually, but it was a bit and it didn't feel right for some people. It also happened to deviate the thread's discussion, adding a discussion of its own nature in a thread that shouldn't necessarily contain it in the first place. I would usually move these posts out, but I decided to remove this one. As you rise the issue, I feel the best thing would have been to move the thing here and openly talk about the problem you pointed in a thread of its own, which is what I should have done right away.

I agree that it's possible to read all kind of crap on the Internets and that indeed, those crazies have to get their ideas from somewhere. I never gave this (we'll call it that way) problem much thought before and I'm not sure why. Perhaps that's a phenomenon that only happens on other, bigger sites? I don't know.

I remember a guy from GLP, Stevie. I saw the guy arrested on TV, he was crazy and told people on GLP he was going to kill Obama. I saw the original posts on there, then the admin's warning. I assumed those things could only occur on bigger, less moderated sites.

I never thought about the "weird idea" factor of this issue. What if someone says something very stupid and this guy who reads it at home, just does it and something happens to him? Think about it.

Justinian

So are we saying there should be an intelligence test to determine how much, and if/when you are allowed on the internet? I like that idea.

Justinian

It might only allow for me to be on the net a few minutes each day, but hey.. maybe it would cut down on monkey see, monkey do. Neural probes that delve into your consciousness to see how well your mind can perceive and deal with reality vs fiction and it's ability to seperate the two. That's what we need. More probing, and an IQ test to see who is allowed to be on the internet. Maybe China will read this and implement my idea.

BlastTyrant

The problem is no matter how much is censored or how much is takin away someone who is looking for a "out" will always find a way, wether it be "Marilyn manson told me to do it in a song" or a internet forum, if the person is mentally unstabble nothing we can do will stop him, Hell ive heard of scenarios where people though bart Simpson was telling them subliminally to commit crimes, i mean wtf.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
I never heard about that Bart Simpson story, but I'm not surprised. You can't understand what you want, out of everything, right?

Justinian

Your right BT, but also this is a tactic used by criminal defense attorneys to establish the insanity claim.

Octavusprime

If you are looking for signs to validate your thoughts and actions you will eventually find them. Humans must justify their actions because everyone wants to think that they are doing "good". Even someone who murders must justify it in their minds. There is such thing as crazy and certain factors can cause people to temorarily become insane.