Will March 19 'supermoon' Trigger Natural Disasters?

Num7

Administrator
Staff
On March 19, the moon will swing around Earth more closely than it has in the past 18 years, lighting up the night sky from just 221,567 miles (356,577 kilometers) away. On top of that, it will be full. And one astrologer believes it could inflict massive damage on the planet.

The effect of tides on seismic activity is greatest in subduction zones such as the Pacific Northwest, where one tectonic plate is sliding under another. William Wilcock, another seismologist at the University of Washington, explained: "When you have a low tide, there's less water, so the pressure on the seafloor is smaller. That pressure is clamping the fault together, so when it's not there, it makes it easier for the fault to slip."

According to Wilcock, earthquake activity in subduction zones at low tides is 10 percent higher than at other times of the day, but he hasn't observed any correlations between earthquake activity and especially low tides at new and full moons. Vidale has observed only a very small correlation.

Full article: http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20110310/sc_space/willmarch19supermoontriggernaturaldisasters

Num7

Administrator
Staff
I wonder if today's earthquake in Japan has anything to do with this...

NerdyGilr3

Damn! I was so happy that it was full moon this weekend! I had in mind to watch it with my bf... I hope it's not going to create any catastrophe, because our romantic weekend is gonna be a total fail!
One thing is sure though, a lot of women will give birth on March 19th!

Num7

Administrator
Staff
No big deal, seriously. I assume the chances of an actual disaster are very small. I'm just very curious as if something will happen.