Will the Internet Evolve into a Lifeform?

jurgen36

Re: Will the Internet Evolve into a Lifeform?

Numenorean7 said:
How can self awareness be created artificially ? I mean ok, a machine can say "I am self aware" if it's told to. But is this machine self aware the way we are ?

If this ever happens, how does self awareness takes place in AI. I can't answer this one.

Num7

It will not be created artificially. It will just happen after the machines reach a complexity approaching or exceeding a human brain. And believe me we are not so far from this moment. Even the best programmers and hard ware engineers really do not know anymore what happens inside the machines. No human can understand the complexity of a computer which might use 64.000 processors operating in jump ahead and parallel processing. They are designed by computers and also mostly programmed by other machines or totally self programming. I do know of two computers which use 32.000 risk processors, they are at the moment used for war games and obviously, at least I hope so, not now complex enough. At least I hope that I will not be around to see the final results of our technology.
Regards

Num7

Administrator
Staff

That sounds right, computers are now almost completely desingned and created by other computers and machines, because they're getting way too complex for humans. That being said, those computers are going to control more and more stuff, and it's possible that at some point, one of these will take the lead.

Did you see the movie I Robot ?
In that movie, the robots use to respect the "3 laws", wich were about protecting humans, and not doing any bad things to them.
Their understanding of the 3 laws evolved at some point, "they decides humans can't be trusted to look out for their own well being". So the robots start controling everything, to "protect" us, etc, and there you go.

Num7

jurgen36

Numenorean7 said:
Did you see the movie I Robot ?
In that movie, the robots use to respect the "3 laws", wich were about protecting humans, and not doing any bad things to them.
Their understanding of the 3 laws evolved at some point, "they decides humans can't be trusted to look out for their own well being". So the robots start controling everything, to "protect" us, etc, and there you go.

Num7

Unfortunately so far this 3 Robotic laws do not exist. So the way is open for machines to do what they like.
Regards

kcwildman

Beastmaster

I have heard that the AI is already alive, and at the aprox. age of a 2nd yr collage student. but as yet it has not devloped orignal thought . like 7 said its all logic deductions so far. not very smart realy

Num7

Administrator
Staff

I guess computers can win at chess on every game against humans. We no longer hear about humans beating the machine at chess uh.

Like you said, computers aren't intelligent yet, so I'm not to worried for now. The only advantage they have, is that their logic is 100% perfect, they can't be influenced by anything in the world, nor can they be distracted, etc.

Num7

kcwildman

Beastmaster

yeh that was a givien when they started to play. they do have total recall so if given time they will learn. like the movie war games or termanator. either, or should I say both will happen if aloud time to councullate.

Cognosium

The vague notion that the Internet-based life form has been kicking around in science fiction for some time now but is generally dismissed from serious acceptance by most "Gurus", most of whom come from IT or theoretical physics backgrounds.

In actuality there is very strong evidence from evolutionary patterns (both biological and technological), together with consideration of the timely relative abundances of the chemical elements and their compounds that this outcome in almost certain. That, by a process of self-assembly (already observable), rather than direct human design, what is now the Internet, will, within a few decades, take its place as the next phase of the on-going evolutionary process that we call life.

Our species, having played its part, will become redundant although not necessarily extinct.

This is, in fact, the main theme of my book "Unusual Perspectives", which can be downloaded free from the website of that name

ZeoEmeraude

I'd like to think that if the Internet did evolve into sentience that it would find a way to make that nasty Nacho Cheese Sauce at the movie theater taste better. AI is a scary thought....but then again I've seen too many Terminator movies at the same theater with the Nacho Cheese Sauce to make an actual assumption.