Wireless electricity? It's here!

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Katie Hall was shocked the second she saw it: a light-bulb glowing in the middle of a room with no wires attached.

Looking back, it was a crude experiment, she remembers: a tiny room filled with gigantic copper refrigerator coils -- the kind you'd see if you cracked open the back of your freezer.

She walked in and out between the coils and the bulb -- and still the bulb glowed.
"I said: 'Let's work on this. This is the future.'"

What's the trick?

"We're going to transfer power without any kind of wires," says Dr Hall, now Chief Technology Officer at WiTricity -- a start-up developing wireless "resonance" technology.

"But, we're not actually putting electricity in the air. What we're doing is putting a magnetic field in the air."

It works like this: WiTricity build a "Source Resonator" -- a coil of electrical wire that generates a magnetic field when power is attached.

Can spider silk help you self-heal? Meet the genius behind 3-D printing Is this the ultimate space suit for Mars?

If another coil is brought close, an electrical charge can be generated in it. No wires required.

"When you bring a device into that magnetic field, it induces a current in the device, and by that you're able to transfer power," explains Dr Hall. And like that, the bulb lights up.

Read more: Wireless electricity? It's here - CNN.com

HDRKID

Click on the video on cnn. She uses resonators made out of copper wire. Also she creates a magnetic field again using copper wire. I am doing similar research trying to learn the principal of resonance. It is exciting to be in a new science area. Tesla was working on this long ago. He thought that wireless electricity was the answer. Time to cut the cord is now. :)

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
HDRKID

Good find!

My thoughts on this: Those resonators act like lenses. It makes me wonder if a combination of resonators at specific distances could make the energy beam into a coherent beam of energy. Thus extending the range significantly. Right now the resonators are out of focus. But I'll bet with a little trial and error the guy could find the focal points to increase the range.