Word associations

Hey I’m new here, I’ve just been leaching without contribution for a while. So now I’m ready to start talking about some of the things I have been researching and need to get my posts up before I can post links. One thing I found very interesting is how the level of vocabulary required to fully understand research papers can be very difficult. I saw num7’s recent post on word association and I’d like everyone to discuss some words associated with a current forum genre. (I.e. time travel, psychic, radionics, aliens, metaphysics, microwave, ect. ) that you think could help people further advance their education to help them understand something they may not so we can catch those that are a little behind up and let’s make some progress here as a team guys. Enough talking the talk. Time to run not crawl everyone as the technology would will leave those unknowledgeable behind.

Also to back track yes I said microwave. To this day microwave technology is revolutionizing by the minute and rewards in the science field are being passed out all over the microwave community. From my experience a lot of it is pretty secretive. Any help on shedding light on some secrets?

I’ll start with a couple.
Topology
branch of mathematics, sometimes referred to as “rubber sheet geometry,” in which two objects are considered equivalent if they can be continuously deformed into one another through such motions in space as bending, twisting, stretching, and shrinking while disallowing tearing apart or gluing together parts.

Anisotropic
(of an object or substance) having a physical property that has a different value when measured in different directions. A simple example is wood, which is stronger along the grain than across it. (of a property or phenomenon) varying in magnitude according to the direction of measurement.

isotropic
Properties of a material are identical in all directions. Such as glass and metals

Amorphous
without a clearly defined shape or form.
Acoustophoresis
migration with sound, i.e., “phoresis” (migration) and “acousto” (sound waves) are the executors of the movement. In related concepts, electric forces move particles in electrophoresis and magnetic forces in magnetophoresis

Last edited:
diffeomorphism: isomorphism of smooth manifolds. It is an invertible function that maps one differentiable manifold to another such that both the function and its inverse are smooth.
This looks similar to graph paper made out of cloth. You then frame the cloth on the edges and throw a ball onto the middle of the cloth. This causes a warping of the graph paper. Similar to “curved space time” I guess

stereographic projection: particular mapping (function) that projects a sphere onto a plane. The projection is defined on the entire sphere, except at one point: the projection point. Where it is defined, the mapping is smooth and bijective.
This looks similar to a cone shape from the top apex of a ball to the table. I dont know how else to describe it

I’d appreciate if anyone wants to further help with scientific terminology that may be over our heads. I read research papers everyday and find the words I don’t know, look them up, and try to learn from them. I’m going to continue posting here as my own scientific vocabulary archive even if you guys don’t.