Debate Would you be willing to be the bad guy?

Justinian

When SHTF, regardless of the scenario, things are going to get rough. Certain decisions are going to have to be made. Will you eat your pets? Will you pillage the homes of the dead? What about the homes of the living? I think most people will start searching homes for usable items. You will doubtless run into home owners that have not barricaded themselves in and are lying in ambush for tresspassers. Will you be ready to actually kill that person?

As morbid as it all sounds, these are things that I don't think all preppers are prepared to think about. Bullets will run out eventually, food will become scarce as people over hunt and unwilling to be patient farmers. Just some things to think about because regardless of your intent, being a "bad" guy is bound to happen to everyone.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
That makes me think of The Walking Dead. We see pretty extreme stuff sometimes in that show, but is that extreme compared to what can take place if a similar scenario was to happen?

When your very own survival hangs in the balance, choices must be made.

twilightsky

the ones that have survival in them will survive,the people that dont will die,goverment is working right now to cull the americans out,will you be a cull, or will you decide not to be

Justinian

But will YOU be the one to be able to make those decisions to survive? I think that as for myself my decisions are a bit more complicated due to working in a different area of the country than my family. So first thing would be to make a B line straight to them. And that's hoping that they haven't been herded off by some idiot with a bright idea to go towards some "safe" zone like you always see in the movies.

Justinian

I got this idea from that prepper tv show where there's a group in like Washington or Oregon that is prepping to be marauders and go take everyone else's shit. While I don't really think that's the best idea, I do think that I will be watching out for those people along the way that have the things I need and covertly use them to my advantage to make it to my kids.

titorite

Bullets never run out if you know how to make your own. I know the recipe for blackpowder but I've never made any.

I am not prepared to be the bad guy. I am prepared to be the good guy, The guy that shows everyone how to hyper grow food from five gallon buckets, The guy that shows everyone the power of coiling copper around rotating magnets so we can have electricity, The guy that shows folks how to convert internal combustion engines to run off hydrogen so we can still get around. They guy that stresses the need to continue education for minors. And above all I am the guy prepared to mow down anyone that refuses to pull their own weight and marauders? They get put on pikes as a message to anyone else that might think that they could take on my community, because they couldn't.

Helium balloon wifi cameras can provide excellent observational coverage. The same tech that converts engines to run off hydrogen has self defense applications. And above all, a helping hand of empowerment is stronger the meanest and baddest of road warrior marauders.

Should any come to steal our stuff and hurt our people they would be met with extremely overwhelming lethal resistance.

Justinian

But I do think that you'd still be kinda being the "bad" guy by killing the marauders. I mean, I wholeheartedly agree with it, but I think there are a lot of people that even when faced with being killed themselves, would refuse to kill another person. And therefore view you as a bad person for piking people.

Sanyam Deshi

I think anarchy is a very likely scenario in the future. Perhaps more likely than a world war. As tragedy gets more distant in the past, morals tend to get looser. Many people in this day and age would be willing to commit a crime or misdeed if they knew they could get away with it. Such a situation of anarchy would put society in a tough situation. Personally, I'd like to create some sort of underground bomb shelter with years of imperishable goods. I believe I am digressing, though. Regarding the question proposed, I don't wish to ever be the bad guy, if possible. I will do whatever feels most justified. I agree with titorite, though. If self-defense makes me a bad person, than that's the only kind of bad I want to be. This is a great question you have proposed!

Falkon303

I believe there will always attempt to be a form of higher order and law. Even when people are living in the wilderness, tribes naturally form and positions are appointed. As far as "being the bad guy", I think it's more a question of if you can survive with humanity on a sociological level and can you contribute to the well-being and survival of the group.