Debate Would you be willing to be the bad guy?

TnWatchdog

That makes me think of The Walking Dead. We see pretty extreme stuff sometimes in that show, but is that extreme compared to what can take place if a similar scenario was to happen?

When your very own survival hangs in the balance, choices must be made.
Yeah, I agree with Num...I am watching season 4 and I thought about this thread. (I am a bit behind on seasons) You can be a good guy and someone is going to try to kill you to take your stuff. They would want to be a friend, gain your trust, and kill you when least expected. I think other survivors of a global disaster may be more of a threat than the actual threat caused by the disaster. Like in the WD you know the walkers are a problem and how to deal with them, but the people you meet are very unpredictable. This show may be present day fiction but end being future fact on how people react to stressful situations.

TimeFlipper

Would anyone here eat another human to survive? Let's say they were already dead and it was either eat them or starve?
Maybe lots of us has eaten another human being without ever realising it..
How can we really know exactly what type of meat goes into any food products or even flavourings?:eek:

Sweeney Todd who was a fictional Victorian barber in the 19th century had a pie shop and a barbers shop next door to it and when guys would go in to be shaved, he cut their throats and dropped them down into a cellar, then cut them up into little pieces to put into his meat pies :D

Derrick C.

When SHTF, regardless of the scenario, things are going to get rough. Certain decisions are going to have to be made. Will you eat your pets? Will you pillage the homes of the dead? What about the homes of the living? I think most people will start searching homes for usable items. You will doubtless run into home owners that have not barricaded themselves in and are lying in ambush for tresspassers. Will you be ready to actually kill that person?

As morbid as it all sounds, these are things that I don't think all preppers are prepared to think about. Bullets will run out eventually, food will become scarce as people over hunt and unwilling to be patient farmers. Just some things to think about because regardless of your intent, being a "bad" guy is bound to happen to everyone.

TimeFlipper

When SHTF, regardless of the scenario, things are going to get rough. Certain decisions are going to have to be made. Will you eat your pets? Will you pillage the homes of the dead? What about the homes of the living? I think most people will start searching homes for usable items. You will doubtless run into home owners that have not barricaded themselves in and are lying in ambush for tresspassers. Will you be ready to actually kill that person?

As morbid as it all sounds, these are things that I don't think all preppers are prepared to think about. Bullets will run out eventually, food will become scarce as people over hunt and unwilling to be patient farmers. Just some things to think about because regardless of your intent, being a "bad" guy is bound to happen to everyone.
Excellent point

Nak Sae Glim

The real question for most is would you isolate yourself or try to join a fledgling society. Most of these answers boil down to either one or the other.. and really what other choice is there. You either go it alone or try and join a group to cooperate towards survival. Sometimes the group will have the mindset of peace other times the group will be staunchly territorial in defence of their members. The fact is, "one less person to worry about" will become a montra for the deaths that occur.

LisaTiffany

1: Eat fluffy the dog?
I have a Doberman, if anything he would eat me, but no I'd never eat a pet.

2: Search homes of the dead?
Of course, but I'd still be respectful and only take the bare necessities like food or medical aid.

3: Raid the living?
Nope it would just be asking for trouble and reprisals. I'd chose the option of avoiding the living unless they were family of close friends.

4: Self defence?
Yes I grew up learning how to handle small arms and light martial arts.