wrong number

The_Observer

If you met an alien, would you kill it, or try to make peace? Either way you'll probably end up somewhere you don't want to be. There's no way in my mind that could be real. Why would aliens use primitive technology?
Because it's retro.

Hah. It is retro to them, but you don't see me walking around with a Symbian OS smartphone from the 2000's. Probably the only logical reason would be so the alien can communicate with us, on our networks. If you time travel to the 80's and want to call up someone using a mobile, you'd have to have one of those suitcase cell phones.

Dr. Malasunto

Hah. It is retro to them, but you don't see me walking around with a Symbian OS smartphone from the 2000's. Probably the only logical reason would be so the alien can communicate with us, on our networks. If you time travel to the 80's and want to call up someone using a mobile, you'd have to have one of those suitcase cell phones.
They could use their advanced technology to communicate through our lines.

The_Observer

They could use their advanced technology to communicate through our lines.

That would presume you know what type of advanced technology they have. Even with our advanced technology, there are some things we can't do from the past because the proprietary tech from back then is no longer created and therefore it's vastly more expensive. That's the sole reason John Titor time traveled, so he could obtain a special computer that was able to translate between different types of obscure code, that no other computer today can effectively do. Why? Because it was not meant to be a feature, it happened by accident and was not introduced as a feature. Therefore other companies did not know about it, and no one else made another device with that type of "feature". Fiber optics is advanced data streaming technology, but you couldn't just plug and play into an old POTS system, you'd need some proprietary technology that converts those signals. Things like fiber optic transmissions are said to be secure in that you can't alter the data flow without being at either the source or receiving end, whereas copper is something you can "tap" into, because it produces radiation.

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
If you met an alien, would you kill it, or try to make peace? Either way you'll probably end up somewhere you don't want to be. There's no way in my mind that could be real. Why would aliens use primitive technology?

I'd want to talk to it or communicate some how!

The_Observer

You'll still end up in a place you probably don't want to be. What is the first thing a modern scientist does when he discovers something new? You'd be the experiment. It's not like we've stopped testing on animals because of our morals. Primates still die in the name of science. If they wanted to simply observe, they can do that from afar. If they come here, they want to interact, and it's usually not in a very civil manner, because being civil impedes direct objectives

Classicalfan626

Visionary
Zenith
This might be helpful in trying to understand how PaulaJedi and others who wish to contact aliens may feel: I have a time travel/changing history-related plan up my sleeve that will not only benefit Earth, but the universe as a whole. I'm sure there might definitely be one or more good alien races with technology advanced enough to detect me and my personal goals, as well as every thought, event, or action that has ever happened on Earth. And these alien races would do anything for the better of the universe, and it might just be that universal laws or protocol forbid the aliens to go ahead with putting my goals in motion without myself on board and/or giving me credit.

Then again, not everyone desiring to contact aliens necessarily wants to travel back in time and change history. They might have other objectives in mind, and I've heard from word of mouth a story where a woman near death from cancer was cured by aliens. So I'm sure there are many cases like that that have occurred between aliens and humans on Earth. What makes me so sure about good and bad aliens in the universe? Ancient Aliens. While everything they say is probably not always necessarily true, I think there's a lot of truth to be found in that TV series.

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith

You'll still end up in a place you probably don't want to be. What is the first thing a modern scientist does when he discovers something new? You'd be the experiment. It's not like we've stopped testing on animals because of our morals. Primates still die in the name of science. If they wanted to simply observe, they can do that from afar. If they come here, they want to interact, and it's usually not in a very civil manner, because being civil impedes direct objectives

We may not be new to the aliens. They may have already studied us. Besides, who is to say they don't have better morals than we do? You can communicate from a safe distance as well.

The_Observer

We may not be new to the aliens. They may have already studied us. Besides, who is to say they don't have better morals than we do? You can communicate from a safe distance as well.
You have some wild assumptions about these aliens. Good luck on your space trip.

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith

You have some wild assumptions about these aliens. Good luck on your space trip.

They'll see so much wrong with me, they'll have to fix me. No deductible!