2024 Total Solar Eclipse: Through the Eyes of NASA (Official Broadcast)

MODAT7

I SURVIVED THE ECLIPSE!!!

eclipse_20240408_134130.jpg

There was just enough breaks in the clouds that I could see it. I'm surprised an old phone camera could see this much at all. Black suns are freaky looking.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
That's cool! I tried to take it with my phone, using 2 pairs of sunglasses, and it was still too bright.

Still, it was a pretty wild experience to go outside. It felt unreal. The light wasn't the same as usual. Of course, it was darker, but the colors were different, it was way whiter and bluer than usual. That's really cool!

MODAT7

I was looking directly at the sun through my sunglasses and a pair of silver DVD's. That brought the light down to a safe level. When the sun went behind the clouds, I could switch to one DVD or just straight sunglasses. I obviously didn't need them in full eclipse. I tried the low light level setting on my old cam, but it just totally flared out the eclipse. It did clean up some of the grain noise problem, but without the moon being visible it kinda ruined those pictures.

MODAT7

Here's a shot from the local station I was recording. There were in the downtown Dallas area and had longer coverage. It was kinda funny as the cameramen stopped paying attention for a bit. They really needed to recenter the camera, but this frame cap is a good one. Of interest is the bright spots in the lower right of the sun. Those are solar flares.

eclipse_20240408_1343_FOX4.jpg

MODAT7

I'll also add that as the sun was just coming out of the eclipse, I could see streaking shadows on the ground. I'm not sure what those were. It might have been cloud related, but they were strange.

Edit: These shadows were only an inch or two wide and moving back and forth with medium speed.

MODAT7

One more thing as I'm remembering... Even with the sun about 90% covered, there was still enough daylight to see everything around. I was kinda surprised at this. It really didn't get that dark until almost the full eclipse.