Media 3 Women rescued after missing for a decade from Kidnapping

Samstwitch

ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE!

Three Ohio women rescued a decade after they vanished

CLEVELAND (Reuters) - An Ohio school bus driver and his two brothers have been arrested after three women who vanished separately as teenagers about a decade ago were found alive at a Cleveland house.

Authorities were alerted to the missing women's whereabouts on Monday evening by a frantic emergency call from one of them, Amanda Berry, moments after she was freed from the house by a neighbor who said he heard screaming and came to her aid.

"Help me! I'm Amanda Berry. ... I've been kidnapped and I've been missing for 10 years and I'm here. I'm free now," Berry, now 26, is heard telling a 911 operator in a recording of the call released by police and posted on the Internet.

Berry had last been seen leaving her job at a fast-food restaurant the day before her 17th birthday in April 2003. The two women found with her were identified by authorities as Gina DeJesus, 23, who vanished in 2004 aged 14 while walking home from school, and Michelle Knight, who was reported to have been 18 or 19 when she went missing in 2002.

A physician at MetroHealth Medical Center, where the three women were taken for evaluation, said all were safe and appeared to be in "fair condition."

"This isn't the ending we usually have to these stories," Dr. Gerald Maloney said. "We're very happy for them."

The house is close to where each woman was last seen, and police believe they were in the home for the entire time they were missing. The circumstances of their apparent abductions and captivity remained murky, but officials said further details would be disclosed at a news conference early on Tuesday.

During her 911 call, Berry gave the name of her alleged abductor, said he had left the house and urged police to come quickly before he returned. She indicated that she knew her disappearance had been widely reported in the media.

The neighbor who came to her assistance, Charles Ramsey, said that after he helped Berry force open the door, she emerged from the dwelling "with a little girl," but authorities said nothing about the presence of any children in the house.

All three women were from the west-side section of Cleveland where they ultimately resurfaced.

There was no word on the fate of a fourth missing girl, Ashley Summers, who disappeared from the same vicinity in July of 2007 aged 14 and who police investigated as possibly linked to the Berry and DeJesus cases, according to the Charley Project website, which documents more than 9,000 missing-persons cases.

MOTHER KEPT SEARCHING

The disappearance of Knight did not attract the local media attention of the suspected abductions of Berry and DeJesus. Her grandmother, Deborah Knight, told the Cleveland Plain Dealer newspaper that some family members had concluded, based in part on suggestions by police and social workers at the time, that she had run away.

But her mother Barbara Knight, who now lives in Florida, told the newspaper she never believed her daughter would have vanished without a trace on her own and that she kept searching long after police gave up looking for her.

The suspects, aged 50, 52 and 54, were arrested based on information given to investigators by the three women after their rescue, according to Deputy Cleveland Police Chief Ed Tomba. One of the men was identified as Ariel Castro, 52, who has worked as a bus driver for Cleveland public schools and whose uncle said he owned the house in question.

A mood of jubilation pervaded the city as word spread that the women had been found alive, especially in the blue-collar, heavily Latino neighborhood where dozens of residents clustered near the house from which they were rescued.

A Puerto Rican flag hung from the porch of the modest, two-story dwelling, cordoned off with crime-scene tape. Cheers from the crowd erupted periodically as police cars entered the area.

City Councilwoman Dona Brady, a friend of the Berry family, told Reuters that Berry's grief-stricken mother had not survived to see her daughter rescued. "She literally died of a broken heart," Brady said, adding that the mother died aged 47.

A cousin of DeJesus, Sheila Figaro, told CNN that the girl's mother, Nancy, "never gave up faith knowing that her daughter would one day be found." "What a phenomenal Mother's Day gift she gets this Mother's Day," she said.

The suspects' uncle, Caesar Castro, who owns a grocery store on the same street, said Ariel Castro owned the house where the women were found. He expressed shock and said members of his family and the family of DeJesus "grew up together."

The discovery of the three women was reminiscent of the case of Jaycee Dugard, who was snatched from her northern California home at age 11 by a convicted sex offender, Phillip Garrido, and kept in captivity for 18 years before being rescued in 2009.

During that time she was repeatedly raped by her abductor and gave birth to two girls fathered by him.

Samstwitch

More details...
One of the Women held Captive had a Daughter

A child found in Cleveland with the three women who had been missing for a decade is the daughter of one of the women, police said.

The women, who vanished in separate cases near their homes in Cleveland, were found Monday only miles from where they disappeared, and three brothers have been arrested in connection to the incident, according to police.

Gina DeJesus, Amanda Berry, 27, and Michele Knight, 32, were released from Metro Health Medical Center this morning, a hospital spokeswoman said in a statement.

"I've been kidnapped, and I've been missing for 10 years," Berry told a 911 operator after breaking free. "And I'm here. I'm free now."

PHOTOS: Missing Cleveland Women Found Alive

READ MORE: Kidnap Victim Amanda Berry Hailed as 'Real Hero' in Rescue of Three Women

The child was also carried out of the home but the child's identity or age has not been released by police. The child is Berry's daughter, according to ABC News affiliate WEWS-TV, quoting police.

Police confirmed to WEWS that one of the men taken into custody is 52-year-old Ariel Castro. WEWS also reports a background check shows he owns the home where the three women were living.

Authorities believe Castro, who was once a city school bus driver, was keeping the women locked inside his modest two-story home, which he has owned since 1992, ABC News has learned.

Police have not identified his brothers, who are ages 50 and 54, according to authorities. Chargers could come as early as today.

Berry identified Ariel Castro by name in her 911 call.

"Um, his name is Ariel Castro," Berry said. "He's like 52."

The dispatcher pressed for more information, including what he was wearing.

"I don't know, because he's not here right now. That's why I ran away," Berry said.

Neighbors said they heard cries for help coming from a house on Seymour Avenue around 6 p.m., and when they went to investigate, kicked open the door of the home to get the women out.

Neighbor Charles Ramsey said that he was eating at McDonald's when he heard a girl screaming and begging for help.

"I look and I see this girl and she's just going nuts on the door so, I'm like, 'What's your problem? If you're stuck, just open the door.' She said 'I can't, you got it locked,'" he said.

Ramsey said that their attempt to pry the door open failed, so he and his neighbor kicked open the bottom.

"Luckily … it was aluminum, it was cheap," he said, "And she climbed out with her daughter. ... She went to my house, we called 911."

Berry came out of the home, carrying a child in her arms, which Ramsey identified as her daughter. Berry immediately called 911, asking police for help.

"Hello police help me I'm Amanda Berry," she said in the call. "I've been kidnapped and I've been missing for 10 years and I'm here. I'm free now. ... I've been in the news for the last 10 years ... with Gina."

Berry told arriving police officers that there were more women inside the home. Police, with their guns drawn, entered the house and returned with DeJesus and Knight.

Ramsey said the women looked malnourished when they came out of the house.

"They look like they haven't been fed in a long time … They were skinny when they came out of that house," he said. The victims are being examined for possible abuse at the hospital, law enforcement sources told ABC News.

Ramsey said he'd barbecued with the home's owner and never suspected something was amiss.

"There was nothing exciting about him — well, until today," he said.

Ramsey said that he was shocked when police told them whom he had rescued.

"He said, 'Do you know who you just rescued out of the house?' I said brother, 'a couple of females.' He said no, no, no. 'You got Amanda and you got Gina,'" Ramsey said.

This saga began as three separate cases starting Aug. 23, 2002, when Knight, then in her 20s, was last seen leaving her cousin's house.

Berry disappeared at age 16 April 21, 2003, the day before her 17th birthday. She had called her sister to say she was getting a ride home from her job at a Burger King, The Associated Press reported.

Finally, on April 2, 2004, DeJesus, who was 14 at the time, disappeared on her way home from school.

The cases have consumed the Cleveland community for years and gained national attention and were profiled on "The Montel Williams Show" and "The Oprah Winfrey Show." The missing persons posters have been a part of the community for a decade by families who refused to give up.

Overnight, countless family members, friends and even elated strangers cheered outside of Metro Medical Center where the three women are recovering.

One person who could not make it was Berry's mother, Louwanna Miller.

Zayda Delgado, a neighbor, told ABC News Miller died in 2006.

"I feel bad because the mother died never knowing that her daughter was still alive," she said.

A police news conference is scheduled for later this morning.

Samstwitch

Cleveland man, Ariel Castro, faces 329 charges in missing women case

CLEVELAND – A man accused of holding three women captive in his home for a decade has been indicted on 329 charges including kidnapping and rape, prosecutors said.

A Cuyahoga County grand jury returned the indictment Friday against Ariel Castro, a former school bus driver fired last fall.

The grand jury charged Castro with one count of aggravated murder, saying he purposely caused the unlawful termination of a pregnancy.

Castro is accused of kidnapping Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight and holding them captive along with a 6-year-old girl he fathered with Berry.

He also was indicted on charges including 139 counts of rape, 177 counts of kidnapping and multiple counts of gross sexual imposition and felonious assault.

Castro's attorneys have said he would plead not guilty to any indictment.

Castro is being held on $8 million bail. He has been taken off suicide prevention watch, jail officials said this week.

He was arrested May 6, shortly after Berry broke through a locked door, yelled to neighbors for help and escaped with DeJesus and Knight.

Berry, 27, told officers that she was forced to give birth in a plastic pool in the house so it would be easier to clean up. Berry said she, her baby and the two other women had never been to a doctor during their captivity.

Knight, 32, said her five pregnancies ended after Castro starved her for at least two weeks and "repeatedly punched her in the stomach until she miscarried," authorities said.

Khaos

where the wild things are
Some things about this kidnapping doesn't add up for me.

- How do three women go missing for ten years? You would think at some point they would have ganged up on the guy. From what I have read, he lived alone with them. His brothers only helped kidnap them.

- From reading articles on this a few weeks ago, there were reports of screams being heard from inside the house, a naked woman chained up in the backyard. Why was this never investigated by police? Makes me wonder if they were paid off?

- He had visitors over before and he kept them in the basement. All the locks on the door to the basement, doesn't that kinda give away something? Come on, people. Why have that many locks on a door?

Samstwitch

Some things about this kidnapping doesn't add up for me.

- How do three women go missing for ten years? You would think at some point they would have ganged up on the guy. From what I have read, he lived alone with them. His brothers only helped kidnap them.

The brothers were not involved in any way. They are mad and disgusted at what their brother did, and have disowned him publicly. They want him to get the full penalties of the law for what he did. They appeared on CNN for a full interview to let the world know that they had no involvement.

There are answers to all your questions in the interviews with the many neighbors, family members, and friends who spoke to news reporters after the women were discovered. (Several of the neighbors called the Police at different times over the years over suspicions and things that they witnessed, but the Police never did anything significant over those reports.) Their stories fill in the missing pieces. Hope you get a chance to see them. Maybe find some on Youtube and articles on the Internet.

Samstwitch

I wouldn't credit this monsters as showing an "act of mercy" to "his victims". Rather he was saving his own self, because he is too cowardly to sit through a trial jury. He can't even hold his head up in court due to GUILT. Whatever the reason, I'm glad those 3 women don't have to go through a trial. That would have been hell all over again.

Cleveland kidnapping suspect agrees to plea bargain

In what might be the first act of mercy shown to his victims, the man charged with kidnapping, raping and beating three Cleveland, Ohio, women agreed to a plea deal on Friday that would spare the women the agony of reliving the horrific details of their years in captivity during a jury trial.

Ariel Castro, 53, of Cleveland would serve life without parole, plus 1,000 years, and be spared the death penalty, according to the agreement. (Continued)

CLICK ME to read full article.