A place to post stories that touch our hearts

Opmmur

Time Travel Professor
A place to post stories that touch our hearts

Woman searching for boy who left $5, heartbreaking apology note

AAo7mmY.img
© KING 5 Seattle Video still of $5 and an apology note.

LAKEWOOD, Wash. — Christina Reitz is searching for Jake.

But the woman, who lives in this Seattle suburb of about 60,000 people southwest of Tacoma, Wash., doesn't know him. He left a note on her door Friday saying that he and his sister had stolen one of her wind chimes, she said.

Almost a week later, after an initial Facebook post as Chrissy Marie to her neighborhood group and attention from media as far away as Great Britain, Reitz still has not heard from the boy. She has five wind chimes, well, four now, because she said she likes the sounds they make.

In the note, Jake explained that the stolen chime, which has butterflies on it, reminded his sister of their mother who died. A $5 bill was tucked inside the folded piece of notebook paper.

“I’m sorry. This is the only money I have. Please do not be mad,” he wrote.

Reitz wants to find Jake to return his money. She also wants to offer Jake his own wind chime similar to the one he and his sister took, so they each can have a reminder of their mom.

"It's not right that he stole or his sister stole," Reitz said. "I'm not sure which one it is, but he did try to make things right and I do forgive him.

"I'm not going to hold a grudge for a wind chime that was less than $5," she said. "I don't even know the age of the kid, but I don't want him to be scared to come forward."

Reitz said she can relate to what Jake and his sister are going through.

“I lost my mom when I was 5 and my dad just almost six years ago. It’s just hard at any age," she said. "People grieve in different ways."

Follow Kelsey Caulfield and Jenna Hanchard on Twitter: @KelseyCaulfield and @JennaHanchardK5

Last edited:

Opmmur

Time Travel Professor
Family Receives Amazing Letter From Their Son — 14 Years After His Death 9 / 27

[URL='http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-stands-by-wiretapping-allegations-tells-german-leader-they-have-%e2%80%98something-in-common-perhaps%e2%80%99/ar-BByi9tx?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=msnbcrd']YouTube Family Receives Amazing Letter From Their Son — 14 Years After His Death Families that [URL='http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/life/parenting/tips/a25505/tiffany-langwell-baby/']lose loved ones in tragic events often say that they can feel their presence, even years after they're gone. And that's exactly how Aaron Vickers' family felt after receiving a letter from him - almost 14 years after his death.[/URL][/URL]
[URL='http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-stands-by-wiretapping-allegations-tells-german-leader-they-have-%e2%80%98something-in-common-perhaps%e2%80%99/ar-BByi9tx?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=msnbcrd']
©

Family Receives Amazing Letter From Their Son — 14 Years After His Death Families that [URL='http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/life/parenting/tips/a25505/tiffany-langwell-baby/']lose loved ones
in tragic events often say that they can feel their presence, even years after they're gone. And that's exactly how Aaron Vickers' family felt after receiving a letter from him - almost 14 years after his death.

Vickers was killed in a drive-by shooting in California when he was 19-years-old. But two years prior to his murder, when he was a junior in high school, he'd been asked to pen a letter to his future self by his teacher, Daryl Hutchins. Hutchins promised to mail back these letters to the students in 10 years, no matter what. But after those 10 years passed, in preparing to send Vickers his letter, Hutchins discovered that his former student had passed away. In some ways, this made it even more imperative for Hutchins to send the letter - which is why, after the recent anniversary of Vickers death on October 4, he decided to track down Vickers' sister, Tyra Vickers-Kearney.

He eventually found her on Facebook, and promised to send her brother's letter her way.

"The days waiting for the letter, the anticipation was so high. We were wondering, what did the letter say? You know, I hope it's not like a one-liner," Vickers-Kearny told
CBS Sacramento. "I opened the letter and saw his handwriting and tears filled my eyes."

What she discovered after opening the letter was far from a one liner - Vickers had filled over four pages with both silly musings and serious predictions for the future. "He even mentioned having a daughter in the future and naming her Ariana 'I'm So Unique' Vickers," Vickers-Kearney laughed. Perhaps the most profound material from the letter, however, is her brother's uncannily accurate conjecture on America's current political climate. "He mentioned, in 10 years, we'll probably have a black vice president, or maybe a woman will run for president," his sister said.

AAjeAAB.img
©
Years after tragedy, Vickers' family received a little piece of the past that would help them heal in the future. "I've never felt his presence like that in the past 14 years, but I felt like he was sitting right next to the side of me," his mother Deanetta Vickers, said to CBS. "Extremely thankful and grateful and blessed is what we feel," she later told Inside Edition

In addition to the letter, Vickers left behind a son - whom he never met - who is now 13-years-old and shares his father's name. Vickers' girlfriend was just six weeks pregnant at the time of his death. The man responsible for his murder was never caught.

[/URL][/URL]

Last edited: