A REAL PROBLEM WITH THE LAW

kcwildman

Beastmaster
ok I have been troubled about this question for some time now so lets get into the meat of it. in MATTHEW.. 5.. is the much talked about sermon on the mount. where we are given a great deal of the basic principal's we are to live by.. yet at vers. 17 YESHUA him self makes a statement that is the heart of my question ...

17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled..

so here in lies the question since HE, CRHIST himself makes ref. to the law and the prophets it would tend to point in the direction of the mosaic law. which is very specific on just what is right and wrong. it also is very harsh in its penalties for breaking them.

so just what are we to do with the mosaic law??? and the books of the prophets which also speak very strongly about the right and wrong of mans behavior, and the consequence's for being guilty of said behavior..

now we know simply by us still being here that neither heaven, or earth have passed away yet. so that would indicate all is not yet fulfilled.

however we as a people, or at least some parts of our society have come to think that some how we can pick and choose which parts of the mosaic law are still in affect and should be fallowed. the rest well it's just old fashion stuff. we don't need to be concerned with it in the modern world which we live in. cause it just don't fit or apply to us any more..

for me it is very troubling to hear folks act as if this matter is up to us to decide. when I was a new believer I ask my mentor in CHRIST about this very thing, and got this response from him..

(( young man GOD is not monty hall and this life we live is not lets make a deal.. GOD is GOD and pointing to his bible this is the deal))

he went on to say that GOD does not change, not ever.. if it was wrong back then rest assured it's still wrong today. that we will be judged on our life, and the things we did during our days on earth. he then went on to tell me that the very question I had ask him put his own soul in jeopardy. then he showed me the verse's in matthew on the law and how if we teach another that they are some how not important we ourselves are in big trouble for doing that. he said we are not to pick and choose the ones we like and keep them while throwing the rest out cause we just don't like them, or think they are somehow no longer in affect.

this still troubles me to this day as there are parts of the mosaic law that simply scare the hell out of me..

Samstwitch

This is what I believe regarding the Scripture...

Regarding the Law of the Old Testamant, which is the Torah: The Laws in that book are no longer necessary, such as the Laws in Leviticus. The Laws in the OT were very rigid and harsh. EXAMPLE: Rebellious teenagers were to be stoned to death outside the city gates. When Jesus came to earth as a man, He fulfilled those Laws. He died for all of our sins and redeemed us from the Laws.

Jesus was persecuted and crucified, because He did not adhere to the old Laws. Example: He healed on the Sabbath. The Sanhedrin and the Pharisees condemned Jesus for breaking the Laws of the Torah. When Jesus came to earth, the old Laws were no longer necessary, because He "fulfilled" the Law.

However, we are still to follow the Ten Commandments as best we can. (We will all fall short and sin, but we are redeemed through Jesus.) Jesus gave us a New Commandment, which is to Love one another as He loves us.

When Jesus said the following Scripture, I believe He was talking about Scriptural Prophecy: Matthew 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Matthew 24:35 Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.

Luke 18:31 Then he took unto him the twelve, and said unto them, Behold, we go up to Jerusalem, and all things that are written by the prophets concerning the Son of man shall be accomplished.

In 2 Peter 1, the Apostle Peter tells us that we have the "eyewitnesses" of those who can attest that Jesus is the Son of God...but an even better proof than eyewitness accounts is the "prophetic word" that will come to pass. What that means is when Bible Prophecy is fulfilled, it will be a more sure word than the eyewitness testimony that Jesus is the Son of God. And we are told to pay attention to the Prophecy for that reason, as a "lamp shining in a dark place", as hope during the dim events that will happen in the future.

2 Peter 1: 16-21 For we did not follow cleverly devised tales when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but we were eyewitnesses of His majesty. For when He received honor and glory from God the Father, such an utterance as this was made to Him by the Majestic Glory, “This is My beloved Son with whom I am well-pleased”— and we ourselves heard this utterance made from heaven when we were with Him on the holy mountain.

So we have the prophetic word made more sure, to which you do well to pay attention as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star arises in your hearts. But know this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture is a matter of one’s own interpretation, for no prophecy was ever made by an act of human will, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God.

And regarding the Scripture, Jesus tells us that heaven and earth will not pass until all Prophecy is fulfilled.

Matthew 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Last edited:

Samstwitch

Here also is something that might be helpful. It is from a discussion on this subject here: What Does Matthew 5:17,18 Mean?

Galatians.3:
19 Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.
20 Now a mediator is not a mediator of one, but God is one.
21 Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law.
22 But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.
23 But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.

The Old Testament system (‘the law’ in verse 19) is contrasted with the New Testament system (‘the faith’ in verse 23).
The law served "till" Jesus, "the seed" came. Verse 21 also agrees with the words from the same Apostle declaring that the OT was not the ministry of righteousness as the NT is.

kcwildman

Beastmaster
even so sam the jist of the passage is not that the law is of no concern, or just don't apply to modern society, but rather that we have a get out of jail free card in the CHRIST .. however if the law was rendered of no effect, or no longer to be observed. then the need for a stand in to take the punishment we our selves have earned by our own actions would not be needed..

I understand that we as flesh can not perfectly keep the law, and there for can only be saved by faith in the CHRIST..

it just troubles me to see folks saying that the laws given to moses for us to live by, can be sorted through and cherry picked to fit the views of who ever is trying to say something they want to do is ok. when it is clearly forbidden in the mosaic laws.

I catch myself doing or saying things I know is wrong . and it bothers me greatly , I will say this thow that most often when it does occure I also remember the passage where paul is saying that the things he hate's that what he finds himself doing, and the things he should do he don't. but it's not really him doing it but rather sin that dwells with in him doing it.

so maybe that the spirit is telling me not to beat myself up over it. just do my best and it will be ok, I don't know. it just seems to set in the back of my head and taunt me. I can almost hear a voice saying hey dummy, you broke another one of the laws.

P.S.
maybe the problem is not with the law but with me. the wife tells me I think to much o_0

Samstwitch

so maybe that the spirit is telling me not to beat myself up over it. just do my best and it will be ok, I don't know. it just seems to set in the back of my head and taunt me. I can almost hear a voice saying hey dummy, you broke another one of the laws.

P.S.
maybe the problem is not with the law but with me.

Yes, that is correct. You should not beat yourself up over sinning. That's what you are doing. I understand, as I used to do the same thing. You will never be perfect on your own, but you are perfect through Jesus.

Visit Youtube and watch some videos with Joseph Prince. He preaches on this subject in most of his sermons. He's a very good minister of God.