Creativity A story from before.

SooperSmurph

Throughout my life i've had the good fortune of being allowed to participate in more than one shamanistic ritual. These have without exception been experiences of emotional growth and comfort that have taught me to better relate to the people and world around me. During one such ritual, a powerful spirit of story came upon me, and I / we took charge of the circle for quite some time as this story told itself. I make no claims as to any kind of historical accuracy represented within this tale, it is a collection of memories of the story, both the ones I recall, and the ones told to me by others who remembered parts that were too intense for me to fully comprehend at the time, any resemblance to any peoples real or fictional is purely coincidental and you should feel clever if you make such connections.

There is a song in my heart, a song of people who traveled the world, whose deeds are mighty and gone. People were spreading throughout the world, and men were beginning to control each other in attempts at creating something good, people who agreed with this flocked to the cities, those who wanted safety and order, they began to form civilization. People who wanted to remain free continued to wander as their ancestors had before them, and though many of these groups of people exist around the world, the strongest of them left first, and set off for lands where no man dwelled to chain them. They traveled east, for generations, their people lived and died knowing nothing but the journey, a never ending test of their resolve.

They came to a great ocean, and the men leading them at the time, three brothers, sat and contemplated where next to go. The oldest, who cherished knowledge, wished to explore the coast, study the tides, and prepare to continue their journey by crossing this ocean. The youngest, who cherished bravery, wished to go back to the tamed lands, and fight the people who had grown soft in the bellies of cities. The middle brother sat still as his two siblings eventually grew angry and began to argue with one another, finally they turned to their brother, "decide for us, who is right?" This brother, who valued not cunning, nor valor, but honor over all things, said "We are but three small men, and our choices can be as small as we are, we must seek the guidance of our ancestors so that our choice can bear the wisdom of time instead of the arrogance of our strengths." His brothers hung their heads, shamed by his humble words, and the three began to purify themselves for their journey to meet with their ancestors.

Many trials lay between them and the knowledge of the spirits, tests which each brother conquered in his own way, showing himself to be wiser, stronger, or more honorable by virtue of his choices. A great swamp confronted them at one point, seemingly endless, attempting to drain and bog down the brothers. The Youngest rushed headlong into the dark, trusting his speed to carry him over the muck, and though he made it to the other side, the clinging muck slowed him and caused him to be troubled by the slow and hungry things dwelling beneath the surface, leaving him with several fine battle scars. The Eldest dove into the murk of the swamp, exploring and finding secret depths, he emerged on the other side with new knowledge and sadness in his eyes. The middle brother cast down his weapons, and waded into the swamp, accepting its pull of him and the choices of its creatures. As he rose on the other side, the muck itself seemingly crawled off of his body out of sheer respect.

Continued as I organize this collection of notes into something more readable.

SooperSmurph

A mountain rose before them, so great in size that nothing could be seen beyond it. The Eldest searched and found a cave that lead to the heart of the mountain, learning much of the ways of the earth as he traveled to the other side. The Youngest threw himself into the mountain passes to challenge the beasts and elements, and his choice rewarded him with the battles and thrills he desired. The Middle brother sought to pay homage to the mountain, and climbed to its very peak, leaving one of his favored knives as tribute to the mountain's majesty, and on the way down the other side his footing was so sure that he strode calmly from peak to where his brothers wait, never being given cause to bend or reach.

The brothers conquered many obstacles, each in their own unique way, until finally they came to a great lake whose waters were so still they were a formed a perfect mirror. Their images rose from the waters without becoming wet, and stepped ashore. Their Eldest, indistinguishable from the real man, spoke. "You have won over all other tests, now you must win over yourselves, prepare to do battle." He circled his quarry, and the true brother did likewise, each searching the other for weak points before rushing to strike. The Youngest launched himself at his opponent without hesitation, the two becoming a blur of skin and red. The Middle brother spoke to his image, "I am honored to have you as my opponent, and by this test the spirits have chosen to give us, out of respect for their wisdom, I offer you the first blow." His image nodded its respect, regret plain in its eyes for not beating the original to the offer. He struck the first blow with all his might, then waited for the original to steady himself before engaging him as an equal.

After a great battle, the mirror images vanished, leaving only the bloodied brothers behind, tested to their very limits by their own strengths. The spirits of their ancestors appeared before them, their grandmothers and grandfathers and theirs, and they asked what would bring the brothers to endure such hardship. Wisdom and Glory, said the Eldest and Youngest, but what about the Middle brother? "Our people need guidance, and I cannot call myself a man if I do not return to them with the truth." Once again the two polar siblings were shamed by their typical behavior, relinquishing their personal requests and standing behind their brother to seek the true path for their people. One of the oldest spirits came forward, mother of mothers, grandmother of grandmothers, and the three dropped to their knees with the weight of ancient wisdom that accompanied her presence.