Are you a Prepper?

kcwildman

Beastmaster
first rule of city life anything you want to keep you never put on display..... also never tell anyone about your stash,, only the folks who know what you got will come and steal it when you are gone to work or the show or a party ect. the lions share of breakins in the city is from people you know and have had over for drinks, you may even have been dumb enough to let them see what you have..

all the big gun retailers are in the citys while there are a few small gun shops in the rual areas they are fast dissapearing forced out of bussniss by the vollume sellers of the citys with lower prices...

I hope and pray that I am all wrong on my view of what will occure...I came to this point of view by looking at what has happened in the past, in times of dissaster .. when all gov. services broke down and the people were with out food and water, trapped in the citys.. the events are recorded in history books despreat people do despreat things trying to servive ..how the people started to eat the dogs,cats,birds, rats, anything they could catch.. drink the water from the storm drains knowing it probbley was not clean, but with no other water they drank it anyway and many died.. history has a funny way of repeating.. espiecally when we did not take the time to learn it.. when we were to busy checking on the latest news of paris hilton's state of undress ,or the kardashians wedding scandles. when we should have been listening to grandpa's storys of when the great depression hit or when he went into the towns of europe and found what the germans had done to the people and how despreat they had become trying to stay alive......

Octavusprime

There are at least 5 gun shops in my city. This doesn't include the chains like big 5 and sports authority that sell rifles and shot guns. I can't speak for every major city. I know NY has much strictor laws than the NorCal city I reside.

I heard a statistic saying that there are two guns for every person in America. So there are no shortages of guns. Although this is averaged out and many don't own guns at all.

Octavusprime

Duplicate post.

Choosing to stay in the city would most likely be a deadly decision. Like stated before those desperate will take what they need. The old, sick and unprepared will go first. Gangs will form and they will loot in mobs. It won't take long before they have striped the city clean.

Once cities are clear of resources they will venture to the outskirts and attack farms and rural homes. Being a good neighbor is key. You have power in numbers and sharing responsibility to farm, hunt, gather and protect will be very important. In the bad times remember that helping others is more important than ever but be weary of those that deceive and are willing to do and say anything to get what you have.

Nelli

I have been watching this thread for a bit. I have been slowly building my stock up since last year. I purchased some land out here in Oklahoma. I’ve got a location where I can raise a few animals and have been playing around with gardening for a bit now. This is something everyone should try before things get bad. I messed up a few of the items I was growing and I learned the best ways to care for the crops on trial and error runs. I’ve seen a bunch of people on sites claiming to have a huge stockpile of weapons. Though I myself have enough for myself and family as well as a few nearby friends I don’t rely too heavily on weapons. I’m veering off subject now. The reason I decided to post was I’ve noticed that many don’t emphasize the importance of water compared to everyday living. Here comes the problem. Water is too heavy to store and if you have to move it will be near impossible to take it all with you. The United States has been hit with a huge drought. Where would all these people living away from water sources and caught in zones where no rain occurs in over 30+ days? My little group invested in an item the size of a water cooler, it cost us 300 dollars, and this little thing produced water from the humidity in the air. My friend recently moved and I gifted him with the 2 coolers in the attempt to have him spread his knowledge and share it with others in his new base he will be stationed in. I plan on buying 2 55 gallon drums with a machine attached to each. For power I have a generator, solar panels and a few wind turbines with a bunch of spare parts for them. This is just something I wanted to share with whoever will listen. I plan on using the water to water crops, drink, cook and shower and mainly to barter with when times get rough. Hope I didn’t bore anyone. Keep up the good posts.

Octavusprime

You are on point with water. It is the most important thing for survival. It is said that a person needs a minimum of 1/2 gallon of water a day just for hydration. Another 1/2 gallon a day for cooking, cleaning, etc. A minimum of 3 day supply for each person for emergencies but the more you can safely store the better. Don't ration water. Drink what you need today and always search for additional reserves.

If SHTF you can still get water for a short time from faucets while there is water pressure. Fill every container you have. Pools are great reservoirs in the long term. Or if your lucky you live by a naturally filling pond/lake. Make sure you have a cover to reduce evaporation loss. I am lucky in having a pool and my 240 gallon fish tank. Use rain catchers and gutters to collect during the rainy seasons. Those in dry areas like Nevada could be in some serious shit should the faucets stop.

Remember to filter/boil your water if it is at all questionable.

I've never heard of this dehumidifier designed for water capture. I need to research this a bit. Thanks for the info!

Justinian

I looked into this drought master. This thing is amazing if it's really working as described. Some of the smaller units take some time to make the water, but the larger (more expensive) units are producing water at a steady pace. I can't believe this isn't publicized on a larger scale. Thanks Nelli for the link. Looks like the units avg about $600 or so. and go from 3 Gallons and upwards. And the trailerized electrolosys generator is just... wow. thats all i can say.

Nelli

Yesterday i ordered the 55 gallon drum. It ran me $875. Having used the little dipper i was very impressed. Im hopeing to have at a minimum of 4 of those. Ive had my eye on that generator for a bit. I know i dont have the money right now for it but its on my to get list. Ive buried containers for water storage and have a few lying around i plan on useing if anything happens. Its not difficult to make a wind turbine, i will admit i had to order the board. This site was given to me by another person who was leaving this area when i became interested in prepping. You can only survive 3 days without water. I hope to run a buisness of selling my own water if things ever get bad, if i survive that is. Glad it was helpful.

Samstwitch

Yesterday i ordered the 55 gallon drum. It ran me $875. Having used the little dipper i was very impressed. Im hopeing to have at a minimum of 4 of those. Ive had my eye on that generator for a bit. I know i dont have the money right now for it but its on my to get list. Ive buried containers for water storage and have a few lying around i plan on useing if anything happens. Its not difficult to make a wind turbine, i will admit i had to order the board. This site was given to me by another person who was leaving this area when i became interested in prepping. You can only survive 3 days without water. I hope to run a buisness of selling my own water if things ever get bad, if i survive that is. Glad it was helpful.

Are you talking about a plastic 55-Gallon drum for water storage? I bought a couple of used ones for $10 each and they sell at beprepared.com for $94.99 new. Are you saying you paid $875 for one, or was that a typo error?