Autism

luke11685

Why am I using some certain so-called words salads? Why am I still here? Maybe it’s possibly I’m autistic who knows.
Classic autism, also known as childhood autism, autistic disorder, (early) infantile autism, infantile psychosis, Kanner's autism,Kanner's syndrome, or (formerly) just autism, is a neurodevelopmental condition first described by Leo Kanner in 1943. It is characterized by atypical and impaired development in social interaction and communication as well as restricted, repetitive behaviors, activities, and interests. These symptoms first appear in early childhood and persist throughout life.
Maybe I’m some kind of so-called bio-robot also known as Replicant.
It was last recognized as a diagnosis in the DSM-IV and ICD-10, and has been superseded by autism spectrum disorder in the DSM-5 (2013) and ICD-11 (2022). Globally, classic autism was estimated to affect 24.8 million people as of 2015.
Wikipedia got no numerical chronological order in that digital article related to Autism.
Of hyperlinks.
Autism is caused by a combination of genetic and environmental factors, with genetic factors thought to heavily predominate. Controversies surrounded other proposed environmental causes; for example, the vaccine hypothesis, which although disproved, continues to hold sway in certain communities.
I have some certain difficulties myself especially expressing words myself.
Well actor Jim Carrey had said by reinterpreting his own words nowadays as an example that vaccines are causing Autism…etc.
After DSM-5/ICD-11 the term "autism" has become more commonly used in reference to the autism spectrum more broadly.

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
I have aspberger's syndrome. It explains why I have no friends. People think I'm weird. I think very differently, have sensory issues, etc.

Are you a real person, Luke? Please don't take offense. Just wondering if @Num7 has a bot posting. :)

Parazite1986

I used to have Asperger Syndrome too before it is modified into autism spectrum disorder in dsm5. I have one friend and sometimes he shares gory jokes with me.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Luke is a person, I asked him. He used to post on TTI this summer.

I'm cool with him as long as what he posts makes sense and contributes to the discussion.

Forums are about discussion and exchange. So called word salads don't contribute to, or encourage discussion, they stall it. That's my only concern.

luke11685

Asperger syndrome (AS), also known as Asperger's syndrome, formerly described a neurodevelopmental condition characterized by significant difficulties in social interaction and nonverbal communication combined with restricted and repetitive patterns of behavior and interests. The syndrome has been merged with other conditions into autism spectrum disorder(ASD) and is no longer considered a stand-alone diagnosis. It was considered to differ from other diagnoses that were merged into ASD by relatively unimpaired spoken language and intelligence.
The syndrome was named after the Austrian pediatrician Hans Asperger, who, in 1944, described children in his care who struggled to form friendships, did not understand others' gestures or feelings, engaged in one-sided conversations about their favorite interests, and were clumsy. In 1994, the diagnosis of Asperger's was included in the fourth edition (DSM-IV) of the American Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders; however, with the publication of DSM-5 in 2013 the syndrome was removed, and the symptoms are now included within autism spectrum disorder along with classic autism and pervasive developmental disorder not otherwise specified(PDD-NOS). It was similarly merged into autism spectrum disorder in the International Classification of Diseases (ICD-11) as of 2021.
The exact cause of Asperger's is poorly understood. While it has high heritability, the underlying genetics have not been determined conclusively. Environmental factors are also believed to play a role. Brain imaging has not identified a common underlying condition. There is no single treatment, and the UK's National Health Service (NHS) guidelines suggest that 'treatment' of any form of autism should not be a goal, since autism is not 'a disease that can be removed or cured'. According to the Royal College of Psychiatrists, while co-occurring conditions might require treatment, 'management of autism itself is chiefly about the provision of the education, training and social support/care required to improve the person's ability to function in the everyday world'. The effectiveness of particular interventions for autism is supported by only limited data. Interventions may include social skills training, cognitive behavioral therapy, physical therapy, speech therapy, parent training, and medications for associated problems, such as mood or anxiety. Autistic characteristics tend to become less obvious in adulthood, but social and communication difficulties usually persist.
In 2015, Asperger's was estimated to affect 37.2 million people globally, or about 0.5% of the population. The exact percentage of people affected has still not been firmly established. Autism spectrum disorder is diagnosed in males more often than females, and females are typically diagnosed at a later age.The modern conception of Asperger syndrome came into existence in 1981 and went through a period of popularization. It became a standardized diagnosis in the 1990s and was retired as a diagnosis in 2013. Many questions and controversies about the condition remain.
I have aspberger's syndrome. It explains why I have no friends. People think I'm weird. I think very differently, have sensory issues, etc.

Are you a real person, Luke? Please don't take offense. Just wondering if @Num7 has a bot posting.
Well of course I'm a real person.
Besides I think that posted comments in Time Travel Travel Institute Forum(even here no matter what if someone is banned temporarily or permamently or not) should had rather be archived and perserved instead of hiding them or removal. Including no search bar.

Last edited:

MODAT7

Throw me into the borderline autistic group. I've never been officially diagnosed, but I share a lot of the generally accepted symptoms listed.

luke11685

Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a neurodevelopmental disorder characterised by executive dysfunction occasioning symptoms of inattention, hyperactivity, impulsivity and emotional dysregulation that are excessive and pervasive, impairing in multiple contexts, and otherwise age-inappropriate.
ADHD symptoms arise from executive dysfunction, and emotional dysregulationis often considered a core symptom. In children, problems paying attention may result in poor school performance. ADHD is associated with other neurodevelopmental and mental disorders as well as some non-psychiatric disorders, which can cause additional impairment, especially in modern society. Although people with ADHD struggle to sustain attention on tasks that entail delayed rewards or consequences, they are often able to maintain an unusually prolonged and intense level of attention for tasks they do find interesting or rewarding; this is known as hyperfocus.
The precise causes of ADHD are unknown in the majority of cases. Genetic factors play an important role; ADHD tends to run in families and has a heritability rate of 74%. Toxins and infections during pregnancy as well as brain damage may be environmental risks.
It affects about 5–7% of children when diagnosed via the DSM-IV criteria, and 1–2% when diagnosed via the ICD-10 criteria. Rates are similar between countries and differences in rates depend mostly on how it is diagnosed. ADHD is diagnosed approximately twice as often in boys as in girls, and 1.6 times more often in men than in women, although the disorder is overlooked in girls or diagnosed in later life because their symptoms sometimes differ from diagnostic criteria. About 30–50% of people diagnosed in childhood continue to have ADHD in adulthood, with 2.58% of adults estimated to have ADHD which began in childhood. In adults, hyperactivity is usually replaced by inner restlessness, and adults often develop coping skills to compensate for their impairments. The condition can be difficult to tell apart from other conditions, as well as from high levels of activity within the range of normal behaviour. ADHD has a negative impact on patient health-related quality of life that may be further exacerbated by, or may increase the risk of, other psychiatric conditions such as anxiety and depression.
ADHD management recommendations vary and usually involve some combination of medications, counseling, and lifestyle changes. The British guideline emphasises environmental modifications and education about ADHD for individuals and carers as the first response. If symptoms persist, parent-training, medication, or psychotherapy (especially cognitive behavioural therapy) can be recommended based on age. Canadian and American guidelines recommend medications and behavioural therapy together, except in preschool-aged children for whom the first-line treatment is behavioural therapy alone. Stimulant medications are the most effective pharmaceutical treatment, although there may be side effects and any improvements will be reverted if medication is ceased.
ADHD, its diagnosis, and its treatment have been considered controversial since the 1970s. These controversies have involved doctors, teachers, policymakers, parents, and the media. Topics have included causes of ADHD and the use of stimulant medications in its treatment. ADHD is now a well-validated clinical diagnosis in children and adults, and the debate in the scientific community mainly centers on how it is diagnosed and treated.
ADHD was officially known as attention deficit disorder (ADD) from 1980 to 1987; prior to the 1980s, it was known as hyperkinetic reaction of childhood.
Symptoms similar to those of ADHD have been described in medical literature dating back to the 18th century.

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
Throw me into the borderline autistic group. I've never been officially diagnosed, but I share a lot of the generally accepted symptoms listed.

Borderline autism would most likely be Aspbergers, I believe. It's low on the spectrum and high functioning. Many people don't understand us at all. Women meet me once and then run far. Being nice isn't enough. I am self diagnosed, but a psychiatrist family member showed me where to find a trust worthy test online. And I found a group on Facebook and they all type/talk exactly like me. We all get along. It's a whole group of me-clones. LOL!!! I just don't know where to meet these people in real life. It seems to be rare.

luke11685

Is it I mean should it be pronounced Neurotism or rather Neuroticism?
In the study of psychology, neuroticism has been considered a fundamental personality trait. In the Big Five approach to personality trait theory, individuals with high scores for neuroticism are more likely than average to be moody and to experience such feelings as anxiety, worry, fear, anger, frustration, envy, jealousy, pessimism, guilt, depressed mood, and loneliness. Such people are thought to respond worse to stressors and are more likely to interpret ordinary situations, such as minor frustrations, as appearing hopelessly difficult. The responses can include maladaptive behaviors, such as dissociation, procrastination, substance use, etc., which aids in relieving the negative emotions and generating positive ones.

People with high scores on the neuroticism index are thought to be at risk of developing common mental disorders (mood disorders, anxiety disorders, and substance use disorders have been studied), and the sorts of symptoms traditionally referred to as "neuroses".

MODAT7

And I found a group on Facebook and they all type/talk exactly like me. We all get along. It's a whole group of me-clones. LOL!!! I just don't know where to meet these people in real life. It seems to be rare.
Odd you say that. I've been tending to hang out in private tech chat rooms over the years. One of the opening lines tends to be "so, what's your medical issue?". And then we all start talking about what we've been going through. It's like we're somehow drawn to these places. It's almost comedic. "Regular" people are rarely seen.

I've been somewhat friendly with "regulars" in the past, but as you indicated, there lacks any connection for a long term relationship. Since I can't get out much, I haven't seen them in a long time, but when our paths do cross, we're still on friendly terms... just no real connection.