AVEBURY, WILTSHIRE, ENGLAND

Possibly built by the Bronze Age "beaker people", Avebury, in Wiltshire, is the oldest of the megalithic henges in Britain. It stands at one end of a shallow valley, close to the river Kennet and not far from Silbury Hill, the largest manmade mound in Europe. Avebry covers an area of 28 acres, including the village, and is circular in form and bounded by a deep ditch.The largest of the stones remaining standing in the outer circle is 25 feet tall and weighs over 60 tons. An avenue of standing stones extends for one and one half miles between Avebuury and a smaller circle of stones known as the "Sanctuary". Within the main, large circle, are two smaller, equal-sized circles of nearly 60 huge, sandstone rocks known as "sarsen stone". The Avebry ssite is comparable to the better-known stonehenge, 22 miles away, which also uses sarsen stone.

Archeologists have estimated that this "sacred", "religious" site was ub use for at least a 1,000 years, from the Neolithic Age into the Bronze age. It is said to be haunted with figures, lights, and mussic having seen on various occasions. Britiish "witches" consider this a "psychic center" and believe it to have been used for Goddess worship.Evan Hadingham,"Circles and Standing Stones".

kcwildman

Beastmaster
WOW!!!!! I have never heard of this site befor now and find it very odd that there are 2 stone circles so close and so similar in there makeup of standing stones thanks for the info I must look into this more its just puzzling to say the least..

"The Witch Book" by Raymond Buckland, Photos by FORTEAN PICTURES LIBRARY, and lots under just under "Avbury".

Attachments

• Avbery 1.jpg
    Avbery 1.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 080pl.jpg
    080pl.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 4968avebury by moonlight.jpg
    4968avebury by moonlight.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Avebury3.jpg
    Avebury3.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Avebury dawn.jpg
    Avebury dawn.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 6173Silbury Hill.jpg
    6173Silbury Hill.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 1
  • eos2_004pl.jpg
    eos2_004pl.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 1
  • imagesCAYD6V4B.jpg
    imagesCAYD6V4B.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 4-8-063-350.jpg
    4-8-063-350.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 1

louise1341

I fondly remember visiting Avebury as a young teenager and even at that age I was interested in stone circles. What I really love about Avebury is that unlike Stonehenge it's fairly unknown but in my opinion it's far more impressive. There are literally stones everywhere that you look at yet the locals mainly ignore them and just get on with their own day to day lives. This area of the UK is abound by these circles and individual standing stones which must have some significance. Perhaps they were placed as they were as symbols and their positions linked directly with the seasons or perhaps they were simple settlements of some kind. We will perhaps never find out but it is important that we continue to respect and protect them.

TimeWizardCosmo

Zenith
I remember reading a book that described a "megalithic yard", a unit of measurement that was common to every one of these structures... I'll see if I can find an Amazon link for it.