Do Adjacent Universes Touch?

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
If we create a new universe every single time we hop into a time travel device, then time travel becomes nothing but a tourist attraction. There would be NO POINT in spreading information, gathering items, etc. if it won't change your home universe and if you cannot even return to it. Time travel would be useless. In fact, if you think about it, when you leave your home universe, you are gone. Missing. You never return. It would not even be possible to bring anything BACK. You'd be bringing the object to another universe that wasn't expecting it! On a similar note, there should be another copy of you in the adjacent universe you created (note the lack of the word "parallel", which only pertains to lines). So, none of this makes sense to me. It renders time travel as useful as a roller coaster ride. Furthermore, with the infinite number of universes then created, it does not seem logical to me that they would spread in an organized manner and not touch. IN FACT, there is some evidence (still in theory) that some universes have collided with ours. Scientists may have found "bruises". Think of bubbles. They can attach and touch, but apply too much force and they will pop. So, if a universe can collide, could it not simply touch as well? Could not a bubble rest on another?

I personally cannot fathom not being able to access adjacent universes. Maybe Titor's technologycannot do it, but someone in the far future will find a way if humanity doesn't destroy itself and recycle the earth, first.

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Professor Opmmur once said something quite interesting during a chat event, about overlapping parallel universes that touched each others.

He talked about some type of devices that could possibly take a picture of another universe, if used properly. He said something about dinosaurs but I can't remember exactly why. I think it had to do with the picture of a dinosaur taken with such a device. It's somewhere in a chat log, but I have no idea which one.

Zachary

Radiation influences another timeline if it has experienced natural separation from another one.

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
You mean radiation from the black holes? The only ones we can control are the ones we create via time travel.

tomrat

actually i remember a theoretical physicist named Laura Mersini-Houghton...she was talking about some strange pull we have in our universe.

Laura Mersini-Houghton, theoretical physicist at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and Richard Holman, professor at Carnegie Mellon University, predicted that anomalies in radiation existed and were caused by the pull from other universes in 2005.
Now that she has studied the Planck data, Dr Mersini-Houghton believes her hypothesis has been proven.
Her findings imply there could be an infinite number of universes outside of our own.
She said: ‘These anomalies were caused by other universes pulling on our universe as it formed during the Big Bang.
‘They are the first hard evidence for the existence of other universes that we have seen.’

read into it its pretty interresting (just look her up in google)....althought if they touch i guess it would be not a good thing (<=my opinion)

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
Tomcat, touching universes implies that we could visit another.
Now, how do we do that without creating another new one?
That, I don't know.

tomrat

imho you are mixing up multiple timelines with multiple universes...could that be?
there wouldnt be any reason to create another universe to visit another timeline of OUR universe...but im far away to be a theoretical physisist...so who knows.
if you look into the membrane theory of multiverses there are some scientist believing if branes touch themselfes it would create a new universe/big bang
thats what i meant with... it wouldnt be a good thing if they touch...
but i just mix up my own reality of the stuff thats out there...so once again who knows....maybe zach?:confused:

PaulaJedi

Survivor
Zenith
I was told recently that universe=timeline=worldline

Touching and colliding are 2 different things.
Think about it. Two cars can touch. No problemo. Now, if they come at eachother at full speed, CRASH.