"future You"

MadMikeyB

Okay, so Heroes the TV show touches on this a little. Bit of background, Hiro nakamura is a time traveller, and he can travel back and forwards in time, however on multiple occasions he meets his past younger self (hiro is assumed to be in his mid 20's, and he meets his 8/9 year old counterpart).

"Past Hiro" doesn't recognise "Future Hiro", maybe this is because of the age difference, but heres my question

Do you think if you in the future time travelled, and time travelled back to see your 10 year old self, do you think young you would recognise "future you"?

Num7

Administrator
Staff
I was a dumb kid back then, I wouldn't even know it was my future self. I'd laugh to this guy telling me he's the future me.

Nope, I wouldn't believe it. :(

cmac

I doubt if many people at age 10 would pay enough attention to someone, to even get any inclination they might be them from the future. Plus, it likely wouldn't be in their consciousness to even think of that realm of possibility. Likely even if someone told them, that it was them from the future, they wouldn't think much about it. Maybe just laugh or something, and go back to playing.

tuvok50

I was a curious kid at that age..........I might believe it or a least listen to him...........then laugh!

Num7

Administrator
Staff
Now, what if a future you visited you right now, from 20 years in the future ? What would you guys do ?

Ask the lottery numbers ? Ask about personal concerns and such, ask information about the future ? Would you recognize your older self, or even believe it ?

MadMikeyB

Eh, I don't think I'd ask the lottery numbers, that would create a paradox.

You've lived an average life, built a time machine, or used someone elses.

You go back in time, and tell yourself the lottery numbers.

Those numbers then wouldnt win, or something would go wrong with the ticket, because you winning the lottery would cause an alternate timeline, one in which you possibly wouldnt go back and give yourself the winning lottery numbers, so you never had the lottery numbers in the first place to win with!

Paradoxes are mega fun. :D

Olly

Nah, I doubt it. My younger self would probably not believe that I would have become as cool as I am now... *sigh* :confused:

Numenorean7 said:
Now, what if a future you visited you right now, from 20 years in the future ? What would you guys do ?

Ask the lottery numbers ? Ask about personal concerns and such, ask information about the future ? Would you recognize your older self, or even believe it ?

Yeah I'd ask for the lottery numbers, I think it'd be worth a try :p