Georgia encounter

Beowulf01

Hello,
I am looking for information, resource material, or possible advice for what I am dealing with here in middle Georgia. First off I am an avid hunter (20+years experience) and police officer so know that what I say here is given with the most personal scrutiny on what I and my partners have seen as well.

Recently I have picked up a large tract of land in middle Georgia to hunt (approximately 1000 acres). I have quite a healthy population of Deer, Wild Boar, Coyotes, Bobcats, Bear, etc. Recently me and two of my partners (both officers) have been doing a lot Boar and Coyote hunting and have had several odd incidents.

#1 Dec 2012 While posting up on a wooded point near dusk (sight lines well over 1000+yrds) near a pair of abandoned grain silos we heard what sounded like two large boars coming up out of the oak bottom. Now both me and my partner have been hunting long enough we can pretty much tell the size of what was approaching was in the 300lbs range. Well we backed out into the open field about 50yrds from the woodline with our backs to the open field. It was now dark with a bright full moon in the sky with great visibility (Easily able to make out animals/people out to 400-500yrds).

We activated our red lights hoping to catch some eye shine from what was thinking was a large hog and the activity ceased. We then heard one large animal break into a trot flanking to our left thru the woodline headed in a direction to stay down wind of us. One of these animals remained in front of us approximately just 25yrds into the thick tree line and began pacing back and fourth, we were unable to see it just hear it.

We activated our red lights again and we started getting pelted with cotton seed bulbs from our left flank near the grain silos (which were about 50-60yrds from our position). Now these bulbs were thrown every single time we turned on our red lights and landed in between us, grazing my jacket with some force consistently and accurately. My partner and I eventually stood up (taking an aggressive posture) and loudly announcing ourselves as officers before advancing on the grain silos and clearing them, first thinking maybe someone was playing a prank on us. No one was found, nor any signs of people walking around or vehicles sighted coming or going.

#2 Early Jan 2013 (heavy cloud cover- no moon) Another night hunt on a different field on this property. About 2200hrs my partner and I had been set up in an open pecan orchard facing a wood line that we had tracked a lot of wild hog activity to. We had been baiting the hogs with corn and old bread for a week (legal to hunt over bait in our county) for a couple of weeks and had narrowed down the times they feed to 1800hrs-2200hrs-0100hrs-0500hrs. We had been sitting in position for a good hours or more and actually heard a pack of hogs pass thru 30minutes prior to this incident, but they never came out of the woods and just moved on by.

Eventually my partner thought that we were not going to see anything and decided to get up and take a quick leak around the corner. After taking care of business he sat back down near me and was playing with his cellphone when the pro-dominate wind changed and started blowing our odor directly into the woods.

Now the whole time we'd been sitting here the frogs/crickets were just making the normal amount of racket when suddenly they stopped making ANY sound around. Normally this would happen if a large pack of pigs were rolling thru, but normally only for a few seconds until the pigs passed where ever the frogs were...this lasted a good 20-30minutes. Thinking nothing of it my partner went on playing his cell phone while began shining my red light on the woodline looking for eyeshine.

It was at this time a large first sized clump of dirt was chucked at me from the woodline (heard it come from the brush) striking my lap and busting. My partner and I sprung up to our knees and started scanning the area, however nothing was seen. Shorting after this a solo 200lbs sow came running out of the woodline where I shot it. Now this sow had been seen on camera multiple times and always with a pack of 4 adult sows and approximately 30 piglets. She had been running a good ways before she entered the clearing before she was shot.

Beowulf01

#3 Early Jan 2013 (Partial cloud cover + 30degree temps/high wind). My partner had carried out hunting a disabled young man who wanted to hunt coyotes and hogs. The group consisted of my partner, the teenager, and the sister + her husband. Well past midnight the kid was standing up in the back of my truck shining a redlight when he yelled to the group "WHO THE FUCK IS THAT?" (Kid may be disabled, but he had a colorful vocabulary lol) and gestured to one of threes about 200yrds out. All members of the described what looked like a man (approximately 6+ft tall) wearing gray (hard to make out distinct color with red light except black). This "person" stepped behind a pecan tree and disappeared. Alarming my partner, who thought it was poacher, he grabbed his badge and sidearm before taking off trying to cut off whoever he had seen in the orchard.

My partner had reached one of the field roads and found no evidence of someone running that way other than disturbed grass blades. He then stated that he caught a heavy odor that he described as Black and Mild cigars mixed with a heavy foul body odor meets old nasty bar smell, thinking nothing of the odor he met back up with the group.

The next afternoon/night my partner and I scoured the area attempting to track what we thought was a poacher on our land. We tracked the ground disturbance (grass blades/brush laid over) to the field road again and found no viable prints. The whole time we were out there I began smelling this repugnant odor constantly coming from behind us as the wind changed, at first I didn't say anything until the odor was so loud that we both looked at each other and mentioned it. Thats when my partner had told me about smelling it the night before.

#4 Friday Jan 25th @ 2130hrs (Partial cloud cover - fairly warm) Earlier this date (1700hrs) one of my buddies and jumped two boars while walking to a tower stand and was able to get a couple shots offs. The hog was hit, but not down for the count as it had run wounded into the swamp bottom I will mention later. Due to the density of this swamp's under growth we were unable to recover to this hog, however we were confident that it had succumbed to it's wounds. Me and both my partners were out this time sitting on the same orchard this time in a two-person ground blind sat under the same tree as before, one of us sat just outside the blind watching our backs (for obvious reasons now). We had been in position since about 2000hrs when the activity started. First we had heard a pack of hogs moving in the opposite direction of travel they normally take...away from a swamp bottom that began about 300yrds into the woodline.

At 2130hrs all three of us heard a bellow like we had never heard before. The best I can describe it was some where in between a bull elephant seal and a lion just prolonged (yes I watch a lot of National Geographic). This call came from our 3 o'clock down in the swamp bottom and sounded only 200-250yrds away. It was loud enough that all three of us sprang up and sent chills down our spines and you could almost feel it in your chest. My main hunting partner has been hunting all over the US (has heard every natural predator in the woods-including Grizzlies, Black Bears, and Cougars) and this sounded like nothing he's ever heard before.

Thinking this was some sort of threat display or warning we began a tactical (AKA un-assing the area while covering each other). The partner on the outside of the blind stepped off to the 4 o'clock position and began covering the woodline. I was covering the woodline and trail thru my Leupold scope (bright enough I could see the moonlight shining thru the trees) as my buddy in the blind backed out and policed up his gear. While I was watching one of the main game trails (BTW all the frogs/crickets were quite again) I saw a 6+ft upright figure block out the moon light on the trail moving left to right. I alerted my partners to the movement so they could cover me as I backed out of the blind. We had formed a fighting line facing the tree line, weapons bared, when we announced ourselves as law enforcement. It was at this time the wind changed (blowing out from the woodline) when all three of us were hit with that odor earlier described.

About this time a 2ft section of pine tree limb (2-3" in diameter) came flying at us from the tree line landing at our feet with a solid thud. This item thrown again was heard coming from the wood line. We then retreated back to our vehicle, not running but moving at walking speed maintaining a wedge formation covering all directions in an aggressive manor. We did this thinking whoever or whatever was threatening us would not see us a vulnerable prey item as we left.

At midnight we returned determined to see if we could catch this activity on tape. We rolled up in a jacked up suburban to the same position and blacked out, leaving a digital cam corder rolling inside. Shortly afterwards we heard it again, further away and to our 5 o'clock position now in a head of pines nearly 500yrds away. The bellow is barely audible over the sound of the camera recording on the dashboard...you can hear it, but we are currently trying to amplify it with limited technology...any help in this matter would be appreciated.

Opmmur

Time Travel Professor
I don’t know if your story is a hoax or if you guys are for real. Assuming you guys are for real and your story is real. It sounds like you have a family of Bigfoot’s on your property. It also sounds like the Bigfoot’s been in that location for a long period of time. It appears to know the area quite well and the wildlife has a high respect for the Bigfoot family. They know when to make noise and when to be quiet.

Whatever you do do not shoot the Bigfoot if you have a clear shot. Bigfoot stories have been told all over the United States in remote areas where humans usually do not go. You could easily get yourself into trouble by killing a Bigfoot even though you guys say your police officers. A lot of states in the United States protect the Bigfoot from being killed, even though they do not have information substantiating the possibility of being an offshoot of humans..

Please keep us posted on further developments: I find your story extremely interesting and are looking forward to future information from you.

Professor Opmmur

ZeoEmeraude

Cool story. I live in Atlanta and I can tell ya that down in the middle of the state, there are lots of places that no one but hunters trudge. The Professor is right...you may have a family of Bigfoot out there. My suggestion (although I know it will be scrutinized) is to get some video as well. I would suggest normal, infrared..as well as that audio you have. The more evidence to support your claims, the better. As for killing one of them..I would suggest trapping one in a way that would allow you to record sound and video evidence before you release it back into the wild. A small bear trap could do this (in my opinion). I have heard these distant cousins of man are very and I mean very smart. They know you are there and they know how to avoid ya. I'd try luring one with a fresh kill in a very open space...unless they are strictly herbivores. You also mentioned a horrible odor. Maybe trying to recreate that odor could be useful. Works with turkeys as you may know. Keep us posted...and good hunting.

Octavusprime

When you get a chance can you post the audio? Definitely sounds squatchy. I'd love to see more evidence but be careful an 8 foot male Bigfoot is nothing you want to corner.

Einstein

Temporal Engineer
It probably is a Bigfoot. And from what I can see from the story. The Bigfoot was the one doing the stalking or taunting. Obviously much better and more skilled at stealth and deception than we are or will ever be. Consider the possibility that the strong odor was a ruse as well. Just to throw you off the scent.

Octavusprime

It is very common for Bigfoot encounters to meantion the smell. Some cultures call the Bigfoot, skunk ape just for this reason. It could be a spray used to mark territories or attract mates.

Beowulf01

Thanks for the input guys/gals. We should an audio clip here soon, shift work makes it difficult to have time to screw around with it. We have started baiting the hogs in again...we've got some decent trail cams that can work with IR video/picture. Thinking about setting them up (after spraying them down with scent eliminator) facing away from the actual bait pile...thinking maybe we can catch our culprit on video maybe stalking other game animals coming in to eat.

Does anyone know any experts in the South East Region that might have the technical experience to help with this? After all the comments about Sasquatches I sent a email off to BFRO, but never heard back from anyone.

Octavusprime

Maybe you could find an area containing the smelling agent and use it to bait/mask the scents left on your cameras? Even better find someone to analyze the compounds. Not sure if it is a spray, urine or just their natural scent but if found it could be useful.

Beowulf01

Maybe you could find an area containing the smelling agent and use it to bait/mask the scents left on your cameras? Even better find someone to analyze the compounds. Not sure if it is a spray, urine or just their natural scent but if found it could be useful.
Good idea, we'll have to see...normally it's an odor we pick up moving around. So not sure it's something marking or just stinks itself.