Ghosts at very old sites (1000+yrs)

I am wondering if there were any instances of ghosts being seen at very old and ancient sites like Ancient Egyptian Ruins, Grecco-Roman ruins and the like. We commonly hear of ghosts in castles and such but how come never places like the Pyramids or Aztec ruins that are thousands of years old?

Justinian

I don't know this for sure.. but maybe it's because a lot of those sites are deemed world heritage sites and they don't allow you to sleep overnight there? Plus some countries where things are run more by the government, I'm sure that talking about such things is probably a no-no. Just IMO.

Khaos

where the wild things are
There have been instances of ghost sightings in Egypt and other ancient locations. The reasoning why they tend to go unreported is because these ancient cultures, tended to work their beliefs and culture around ghosts. Ghosts, spirits, afterlife was a prominent part of ancient Egypt. The pyramids were built for dead Pharaohs in the sense that they would help them traverse to the next life. Why the great pyramid has a hole that goes from the top, to the main tomb chamber.

When you have ghosts, souls, demons, etc that are a part of your culture, your beliefs, your religion, there is nothing out of the ordinary for you. To them thousands of years ago, seeing a ghost, was not out of the ordinary. Today, its pretty much out of the ordinary, why there is so much attention towards it.

However, as jdetterline said before me, a lot of these places are sacred. They are ancient, historical places that are heavily patrolled. They are tourist hotspots. In order for someone to fully investigate it, they would need to deny access to the great pyramids for several hours. Plus you also have religious beliefs as well.

Justinian

Hmm.. That's a good point Khaos. But, not to contradict you but maybe add on.. If an ancient culture (let's say Egypt) was building this giant pyramid that took decades or centuries(whatever) to build, in order to send the pharoah to the afterlife and then said pharoah is seen wandering around as a ghost wouldn't that kind of be a huge downer to their morale to say they spent all that time on this thing only for the pharoah to not cross over? So maybe that's another reason they don't tell too many stories about it? Like the gods slapping them in the face saying.. HAHA you spent all this time building this giant thing and now I reject your pharoah for it. HAHA. .. Just sayin'.

BlastTyrant

A Goblin is thought to haunt one of the Mayan Ruins if i remember correctly. Also reports of demon like apparitionsin some of the ruins. There istons of reports you can look up via google on it

Justinian

I'm pasting this quote from this link from an interview with the Destination Truth guy: Josh Gates: From Bigfoot to Goblins

They call it the Belize Goblin. This is really neat how he talks about all the different cultures that never talked with each other, yet all saw this thing.

"QUESTION: I want to ask you about the Belize Goblin, in the Mayan ruins. How long does that legend go back in time? How long has that been around as a legend?

JOSH GATES: That was a little tough to track because there's a lot of oral history in that region. And it's also a region that of ethnically is a very diverse part of the world.

So you've got Mayan and indigenous Indian culture. You have this kind of Creole culture. You have this slave culture that came down to that part of the world. You have this colonial culture. So it's a sort of mash of different groups down there.

And what's interesting is that each of those cultures talks about this creature. And that's what makes it a really cool story. And it's one of the things that I wish had a little bit more time in the show to get into.

But these are cultures that didn't really - over time they started to (unintelligible) to each other, but initially they were very separate cultures. And yet they all experienced seeing and hearing this creature.

So we're talking about hundreds and hundreds of years, this goes back. And they talk about this small goblin-like creature that lives in the forest. And each of them had legends about it.

Each of them had different names for the creature. And again, that's where the story gets interesting, because you're talking about disparate groups that didn't connect initially, and yet had a similar experience. So for us it was a very cool thing to investigate because it brought together a great legend with a lot of interesting different cultures. "

Justinian

Just found another article. The Belize Goblin is also called, "El Duende". Just thought I'd post that for your searching needs.

spooky2

I am wondering if there were any instances of ghosts being seen at very old and ancient sites like Ancient Egyptian Ruins, Grecco-Roman ruins and the like. We commonly hear of ghosts in castles and such but how come never places like the Pyramids or Aztec ruins that are thousands of years old?
I'm very sure they have ghosts and residual haunting s would love to find out. I have always been intrigued by the Mayan and Inca sites would love to do an investigation in one of those places!